2018 Multistrada Rumors - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb5150 View Post
This x100! This bike should do 250-275 miles easy between fill ups.
Personally, I'd be happy if the bike weighed less not more.
You don't have to fill the bigger tank all the way if you don't want the extra weight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 9:22 pm
Hammer Down

Garage
I still see no reason to move to another bike from my 2014 although KTM Super Adventures seem nice but even that seems a lot like what I have with the multi. I'm a bit irritated with bikes at the moment...nothing really strikes my fancy. The fact my 2014 is paid for probably has something to do with that.

Agree 100% on built in GPS units being a bad idea...absolutely no reason to provide that. BMW does a great job with that...if you want the BMW version you can buy it and have it look nice and factory but if you'd rather have something else, that's an option too.

2014 Multistrada GT
Shock me and say something intelligent

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwz28 View Post
You don't have to fill the bigger tank all the way if you don't want the extra weight.
Guys who need additional range could always buy the portly Enduro...

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2017, 1:08 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
Guys who need additional range could always buy the portly Enduro...
But I don't want a bigger bike, with different gearing, a 19" front wheel (together with different tires) and a normal fork, because I (very) rarely leave the tarmac. It's not that obvious of a choice.

Multistrada 1200 ABS '11
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2017, 6:52 am

Garage
I've really not had an issue with the fuel range... though when I first bought the bike I thought I would.

I could see this being an issue when you're autobahn (4-lane) touring (blasting along at 75mph for long periods of time)... but that's not really the sweet spot of this bike (wind protection isn't really great for long high speed runs).

When we're secondary road (2 lane) touring we generally refill at the 150-180 mile range... because we've stopped for other reasons (as in... been on the road for over 3 hours and need to stretch, eat, hit the head, etc...). When we DO hit the range limit it's generally around 210-215 miles and 4 hours, which again doesn't seem that bad.

Gas light on my Tiger generally comes on at about 220 miles, and I think it'd be nice if the multi had similar range (250-275)... but it's more of a peace of mind thing for me since in actual riding we almost never have to stop JUST to get gas.
fubar929 likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 7:38 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I've really not had an issue with the fuel range... though when I first bought the bike I thought I would.

I could see this being an issue when you're autobahn (4-lane) touring (blasting along at 75mph for long periods of time)... but that's not really the sweet spot of this bike (wind protection isn't really great for long high speed runs).

When we're secondary road (2 lane) touring we generally refill at the 150-180 mile range... because we've stopped for other reasons (as in... been on the road for over 3 hours and need to stretch, eat, hit the head, etc...). When we DO hit the range limit it's generally around 210-215 miles and 4 hours, which again doesn't seem that bad.

Gas light on my Tiger generally comes on at about 220 miles, and I think it'd be nice if the multi had similar range (250-275)... but it's more of a peace of mind thing for me since in actual riding we almost never have to stop JUST to get gas.
Being the type that chooses night travel and holidays to get clear roads, and never having seen the 200 mile range (I managed once to do almost 200 miles by travelling at a constant speed of 60-65 on the highway, which really was an exercise on patience), I often struggle to find a gas station (or one that doesn't rip me off). I have the original model, so, I guess I could improve the mileage by getting the latest DVT. Adding another 2-3 liters isn't a big deal for the designers, I'm sure.

Multistrada 1200 ABS '11
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 4:25 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzoykas View Post
Being the type that chooses night travel and holidays to get clear roads, and never having seen the 200 mile range (I managed once to do almost 200 miles by travelling at a constant speed of 60-65 on the highway, which really was an exercise on patience), I often struggle to find a gas station (or one that doesn't rip me off). I have the original model, so, I guess I could improve the mileage by getting the latest DVT. Adding another 2-3 liters isn't a big deal for the designers, I'm sure.
My cousin frequently rides with me, he has a 13 Multi-S and gets within 1-2 mpg of my DVT's mileage (when I got 51mpg on one leg of a ride, he got almost 50 and only used a couple ounces more fuel)... so a DVT won't help you much. Riding at 60-65 you're going to be in the mid 40's mileage on either bike and won't get to 200 miles range on either.

Riding at 75mph average speed I refill well under 200 miles (160 or so IIRC). I don't normally ride for any distance at 60-65 so no idea what my mileage is there. I'm either averaging 40-50mph on twisty 2 lane or 70+mph on the interstate (on the rare occasions I ride 4-lane... I tend to do it to get somewhere so I don't screw around)

I guess I should specify North America... we've got a lot of gas stations over here. There are some spots out West where you have to be careful, but East of the Great Plains there are gas stations everywhere.

I also don't ride at night... that's a good way to get yourself killed where I live (too much wildlife moving around waiting to jump in front of you).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 4:53 pm
Hammer Down

Garage
Quote:
My cousin frequently rides with me, he has a 13 Multi-S and gets within 1-2 mpg of my DVT's mileage (when I got 51mpg on one leg of a ride, he got almost 50 and only used a couple ounces more fuel)... so a DVT won't help you much. Riding at 60-65 you're going to be in the mid 40's mileage on either bike and won't get to 200 miles range on either.
I think the best mileage I've seen on my 2014 is 41.5 and overall average is 40.4...I could slow down but what's a few more MPG?

2014 Multistrada GT

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 4:57 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post
I think the best mileage I've seen on my 2014 is 41.5 and overall average is 40.4...I could slow down but what's a few more MPG?
lol... yea there seem to be two kinds of multi riders, those who come from sportbikes and are always over 7000 ready for trouble, and those who come from ADV or Touring bikes and are cruising in 6th through town at 40mph. Obviously I'm one of the later... I occasionally get into shenanigans mode but I don't track mileage when I'm doing that (but I know it's not good).
Gadgetech likes this.

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 5:29 pm
Hammer Down

Garage
Quote:
lol... yea there seem to be two kinds of multi riders, those who come from sportbikes and are always over 7000 ready for trouble, and those who come from ADV or Touring bikes and are cruising in 6th through town at 40mph. Obviously I'm one of the later... I occasionally get into shenanigans mode but I don't track mileage when I'm doing that (but I know it's not good).
I think it's just me...I never get near the expected MPG for anything I operate...

I've been thinking about getting an F800 GSA for some off-road touring and ADV at a lower price point and I think...can I deal with a bike that only has 85 hp that isn't a Harley?
tzoykas likes this.

2014 Multistrada GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode