Aftermarket rear rotor - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 8:12 am

I've used Galfer rear rotors on multiple bikes (not my MTS yet) with very good results.

14 Ducati MTS 1200S GT
12 Ducati Streetfighter 1098S
04 Honda RC51 (never sell!)

93 Honda CBR600 F2 (sold)
88 Honda CBR600 (sold)
87 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (sold)
87 Honda CBR600 (hit by car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 11:39 am

What I learned the hard way in my link in post #8 is that unless the aftermarket rear rotor comes pre-tapped to accept the screws that attach the ABS sensor ring, you're out of luck. Like the OP, I searched high and low with no luck and had to go back to stock.

As that was a few years ago, maybe there is an option out there now, but like the OP is finding out, it's a fairly rare bird if it does exist.

2012 Arctic White 1200S Touring Model
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 12:27 pm

A quick check and all I'm seeing are Brembo rear rotors which I think are our stock ones. At 4.5mm they are thinner than some of the 6mm aftermarket options.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomarkovich View Post
I tried that. Apparently searching the same thing for me I got EBC brakes that fit every year multi but mine. Also from my searches for EBC REAR multi rotors I get zero results. EBC doesn't make a set for the rears for a 2013 multi.
I see your model year problem and feel your pain. Certainly not the first time the EBay fitment system has made a model year mistake.

I spoke with Robert Keller at EBC to confirm that they have nothing in the works.

You might try to get the Brembo P/N off your old one and see if you can get a replacement from Brembo for less than Ducati. Perhaps you already tried that.

If it is a matter of the same rotor as a 2012 with an ABS ring that you could transfer from your old one or different bolt hole sizes, it might be trivial to adapt depending upon your skill set, equipment and the value of your time. I don't have a way to visually compare them.

I try to be thorough. I rarely return to a thread. If you have a question for me, PM me.
2001 Monster S4
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

I just got a used one from a member on here. So it's taken care of. Was just hoping to upgrade to a better rotor. Thank you for the help.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by markomarkovich View Post
I just got a used one from a member on here. So it's taken care of. Was just hoping to upgrade to a better rotor. Thank you for the help.
You aren't going to notice any difference between a stock rear rotor and aftermarket. The only difference is cost.

On a side note, I don't know where the speedo sensor is on the newer Multi but a friend of mine bought an EBC rotor for his 2007 Multi but it didn't have the metal rivet for the speedo sensor and EBC didn't have one that did despite them saying this rotor was a direct fit for his bike. He ended up buying an OEM rotor from Ducati at three times the cost and returning the EBC rotor.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
You aren't going to notice any difference between a stock rear rotor and aftermarket.
Especially for those whose rear brakes have never worked right. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
On a side note, I don't know where the speedo sensor is on the newer Multi but a friend of mine bought an EBC rotor for his 2007 Multi but it didn't have the metal rivet for the speedo sensor and EBC didn't have one that did despite them saying this rotor was a direct fit for his bike. He ended up buying an OEM rotor from Ducati at three times the cost and returning the EBC rotor.
Yeah, EBC got me too with the "direct fit" trick when I tried to replace my rear rotor a few years back. The EBC V rotors I have up front are 6mm thick while stock is 5mm and definitely work better, but that may not be saying much.

The cheap rotors that nearly all manufactures slap on their bikes these days is a shame. On forums for nearly any motorcycle brand you can read about pulsating or warped/hot spotted stock rotors. I don't remember seeing that as much 10, 20, 30 years ago. Way of the world these days I guess.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Especially for those whose rear brakes have never worked right. LOL

Yeah, EBC got me too with the "direct fit" trick when I tried to replace my rear rotor a few years back. The EBC V rotors I have up front are 6mm thick while stock is 5mm and definitely work better, but that may not be saying much.

The cheap rotors that nearly all manufactures slap on their bikes these days is a shame. On forums for nearly any motorcycle brand you can read about pulsating or warped/hot spotted stock rotors. I don't remember seeing that as much 10, 20, 30 years ago. Way of the world these days I guess.
My rear brake works fine. It isn't overly strong but it does work adequately in my opinion, nothing a change of the rear rotor would fix No pulsating or other problems. Front brakes could probably stand better rotors and pads but I probably won't replace them until I wear these out. Haven't managed to do that yet in 11,000 miles.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)

Last edited by SDRider; Apr 19th, 2017 at 11:42 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode