Advice on removing seized oil drain plug - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2017, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Advice on removing seized oil drain plug

Damn dealer overtightened (or red Loctited) my damn drain plug and I just can't get it out (it was in for broken shift return spring, else I would've done the oil change myself). Breaker bar with a damn fork tube over it for a solid 5 damn feet of leverage and still couldn't break it. Didn't want to push it any further. Torch or heat gun? Best advice? Also, is there Ducatibond or red Loctite actually on this, as in some sort of service bulletin I thought I saw. Bike is a 2013 S Touring.

2013 Multistrada S Touring
2013 Monster 1100 EVO 20th Anniversary #119/200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Depending on your relationship with the dealer I would have them break it loose if they are the ones who created the problem. If not, some penetrating oil, wait, add some heat with a torch and try again. Impact gun if necessary.

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 10:24 pm

I don't understand- if they installed the plug, why not just run it back to them to fix it?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 6:24 am

If red Loctite was used then heat will release it.

Stupid question. You are not trying to tighten it instead of undoing. Easy mistake when is upside down - I've done it myself.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 6:53 am
Prolific Poster Award

We All do it and more when we get older...

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 8:18 am

Lay down and look up at it, Righty Tighty.... I'd take it back to the dealer.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 9:27 am

Impact Wrench

I would hope they did not put red Loctite on the drain plug. Even if they did I'm not sure heat would help since the oil on the plug would probably cool it.

I would try putting an impact wrench (with lever set to unscrew direction) on the bolt. Much safer than heat or continued force.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 8:56 pm

Pro tip; buy and have a replacement drain plug in your hand before fiddling with it any further. Buy a second one and put it in your tool box or parts bin. You will thank me later. The second one is so you will never again need one- as you already have it. Don't buy one and you'll need it in no time.

Same with a spare fill cap BTW, buying one at your leisure is far, far better than the morning of the ride...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:02 pm

Pretty much in line with bcMOnster, Texasjeff, etc..

Sorry for your trouble. First of all, a 5 foot lever could allow you to literally fracture the case.
In the old days, that was the length of tool to remove the rear axle nuts off a VW beetle and that is a 36mm nut. I would try to make the dealer responsible for removing it before you break something.

Now, if you use heat, work fast and in a positive fashion. The problem with the torch is that if you don't get it out rapidly, you will most likely end up drilling it because you will turn any lubricant on the threads into abrasive ash.

As mentioned in previous posts, I would suggest impact. If a couple short bursts at the gun's maximum setting doesn't remove it, stop, you will destroy the case threads by hammering on it. Sometimes, a nut or bolt can be spun with a cold chisel or punch on the edge when even an impact tool won't work. If you don't have good manual dexterity, don't try the latter. No need to end up with a blue thumb.

Remember the case is your motor, respect it over the drain plug(s).

Good luck

I try to be thorough. I rarely return to a thread. If you have a question for me, PM me.
2001 Monster S4
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 11:29 pm

It's been my experience on small allen heads or torx that an impact will ususally just strip them immediately. I prefer using a heat gun instead of a torch on anything I care about. They make aerosol ice in a can. You might try warming the engine, use a heat gun in a circle around the plug, not on the plug. This should expand the diameter of the hole. If that doesn't do it try the aerosol ice on the plug to contract it. If that won't work you're down to drilling and using an easy out. Good luck.
NorCalStrada likes this.

2016 Monster 1200R
2012 Pikes Peak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode