How to fix plastic pannier scratches on 2011 MS - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2017, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Garage
How to fix plastic pannier scratches on 2011 MS

Greetings all, looking for some guidance and wisdom on how to fix some scratches on my 2011 1200s MS stock right pannier. More specifically it's not the painted part but the black plastic part. I have tried to use fine 2000 grit sand paper and rubbing compound but it only helped slightly. I also will need to know how to dye the plastic back to its original color if anyone has done this as part of the fix. My goal is to make it as close to perfect and unnoticeable as possible see attached pic of damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1092_1491835089829.jpg (888.7 KB, 126 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Tough job because the more you clean up the damage the more you will remove the texture of the part as well. You may end up with a shiny spot amongst the rest of the lid. Meguiars "Back to Black" may help with the colour. Putting a WTB in the classifieds for a new lid may be your best bet if you are wanting perfect.

2010 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Garage
Yea I looked around and had no luck. I think the only real chance you'd have would be to sand the damaged part down and then find a technique to recover the texture... but finding the right process to reproduce the embossed texture might be really hard. Sandblasting maybe? (with a dialed in grit and pressure)

I decided my scratches (very light) weren't enough to warrant screwing with it.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2017, 2:07 pm

I used stickers from the places that I travel to
Snowshoe likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2017, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
So far I have sanded and utilized the rubbing compound and it helped but did not make it perfect. I also used the back to black but the discoloration is still there. I read there is a product by scratchwizard.net that can be used to dye it black, they use super glue to fill the scratches then you sand them down smooth. The issue is the texture which many have comments on how to but nothing I can see as a definitive answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmonster View Post
Tough job because the more you clean up the damage the more you will remove the texture of the part as well. You may end up with a shiny spot amongst the rest of the lid. Meguiars "Back to Black" may help with the colour. Putting a WTB in the classifieds for a new lid may be your best bet if you are wanting perfect.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2017, 8:35 pm

Garage
Fixed a bad scratch on ST3 bags by having the black part coated with the stuff they use to spray on pickup beds as a liner. Looks great and hard to tell its not stock.

2012 Multistrada S Touring, Full Termi System,
2010 848 Hayden SE Full Termi system,
2004 BMW R1100S BCR, Ohlins & Staintune,
2010 Vespa GTS 250ie.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Garage
Good idea using bedliner as a cover up. I've had good luck with Black Wow (autogeek.com or Amazon) to restore appearance on other black plastic trim...

Please pardon my ignorance - new to Ducati ownership after decades of enjoying Japanese inline fours...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2017, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Any particular brand and did you do it yourself or have someone else do it for you? How much did it cost? Pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macraige View Post
Fixed a bad scratch on ST3 bags by having the black part coated with the stuff they use to spray on pickup beds as a liner. Looks great and hard to tell its not stock.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2017, 12:22 am

Garage
Some damages can be repaired only through Ebay. All my experience with a plastics molding says that you can't restore your detail to looking like new. Maybe it is very nice case to start your own custom project?

There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2017, 6:00 am

side bags

keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode