Ongoing starting issues - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 7:01 am
Prolific Poster Award

You installed a new battery???
Normally a battery will last at least 4 or 5 years I change mine at around that 6 year time frame.

When it starts give her some throttle, or I do pump it sometimes before starting Just because.
Never had a problem with a stock battery Yuasa?

You may even try to leave the lights on for a bit 30 - 60 secs then shut it down then try the first start of the morning, see what happens...

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2017, 7:15 am

Thumbs down

Doesn't appear to have anything to do with which mode I'm using. I had 6 or 7 good starts in Touring mode but the problem was back this morning in Touring mode.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2017, 11:41 am

Garage
I have an 06 Multi, Same starting issues. only 3,800 Miles. Changed the battery and starting seemed to be worse.

1st Ducati

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
I've had similar problems with my 2016 Multistrada. My bike came pretty close to failing to start once. Had to leave it overnight at the dealer when I got delayed and couldn't pick it up the same day a routine service was completed. Bike sat overnight in an unheated garage where temps probably went into the 40's (Fahrenheit). Temps were in the low 50's when I come to pick it up the next morning and it wouldn't start after 4-5 attempts. Techs tried another 2-3 times without luck then wheeled it back into the garage and were about to connect it to a charger when they have it one final attempt... and it finally came to life and kept running.

I habitually leave the bike connected to a trickle charger when it's parked in my garage. Starting is lethargic even at the best of times, so I like to make sure the battery it "topped up"...
Gotta love that. Won't start, try and try, fires after 237 attempts and the Techs figure its all ok and hand it right back to you. Utter BS if you ask me.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2017, 12:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
How many miles do you have on the bike?

Not sure if this is applicable but I had a cold starting problem with an air cooled Monster 1100 EVO. I had about 4500 miles on it and it started doing what your bike is doing, stalling on cold startup. Bike would start fine warm but when cold it would start and then immediately stall. I took it to the dealer and they ended up having it for three weeks while they tried various things to fix the problem but nothing worked. Ducati finally recommended they start checking the basic things on the bike one of which was the valve clearances. Turned out both exhaust valves were very tight, basically zero clearance. They adjusted them and the bike started up fine from then on.
Well, I see the original poster hasn't posted back in 3 weeks but the rest of you turned it into a discussion so that's good. Maybe the thread initiator will reply back and we can see if he got it covered under warranty or not.

Concerning your post: Your statement concerning exhaust valve clearances being "tight" is interesting. Can you elaborate? Valves wear into the seat and the opening shims get tight and the closing shims get loose. I assume you are talking about the openers since on many of the Ducati's it is desirable to get the closers as close to zero as possible without interference. When the openers are at or close to zero, the cam profile is significantly different than when in spec. This will certainly result in tuning errors. The risk is that they won't close long enough to bleed off heat into the seats. Since you got to the point of unmeasurable clearance, I would suggest you shorten the duration between inspections to prevent valve damage or stay very alert to starting issues as an indicator.

I try to be thorough. I rarely return to a thread. If you have a question for me, PM me.
2001 Monster S4
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2017, 8:50 pm

no starting issues

I have a 2015 multi s which I have had for a little less than two years with 23000 miles. Had some starting issues in the beginning but for some reason over the last year starting is no longer a problem. During the winter will start with temps in the mid 20s with no problem and just got back from a trip to west virginia and smokey mountain area and had 4 days of rain and cool temps and started right away each morning. The only thing that I am carefull about is not filling the tank up all the way to the top. Otherwise the bike is stock and I love it-as you can see by the mileage in less than two years. Live in up state NY so no riding for at least 3 months of the year. Does not matter what riding mode or type of fuel-use both with and without ethanol.
Maxmach likes this.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2017, 7:40 am

Garage
There are a couple hard starting thread out there... I had it once or twice a month on my 15S for the first year, in my case it was the throttle that needed to be replaced (Throttle position sensor was bad). They changed it out last May and since then not one hard start. (I've got 23,000 miles on the bike)

There is a discussion of symptoms on one of the other threads... in my case it would fire and die and then refuse to fire (it would actually flood). I could sometimes get it to start with a TINY bit of throttle, but it wouldn't want to idle and would run rough for the first couple minutes of operation - then it'd be fine. On my bike the TPS eventually started throwing a DTC so it was replaced under warranty.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2017, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
There are a couple hard starting thread out there... I had it once or twice a month on my 15S for the first year, in my case it was the throttle that needed to be replaced (Throttle position sensor was bad). They changed it out last May and since then not one hard start. (I've got 23,000 miles on the bike)

There is a discussion of symptoms on one of the other threads... in my case it would fire and die and then refuse to fire (it would actually flood). I could sometimes get it to start with a TINY bit of throttle, but it wouldn't want to idle and would run rough for the first couple minutes of operation - then it'd be fine. On my bike the TPS eventually started throwing a DTC so it was replaced under warranty.
Does yours have the full termi system?
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2017, 8:09 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLD MEMBER View Post
Does yours have the full termi system?
No it's stock

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
No it's stock
could be an unrelated issue like mapping.

At what pint did your start doing this at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode