Ongoing starting issues - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 9:54 am

I have now had 5 starts in a row with no problem in Touring mode. Tomorrow I'll go back to Urban mode and see the the problem comes back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 10:30 am

Ongoing starting issues

I have a 2016 PP and it does this also. Doesn't seem to me to be a battery problem, my guess is a fueling issue when the bike is cold.

Max
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Have you tried different ride modes?

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2017, 8:48 pm

I have not tried in different modes but after reading this thread I will and report back.

Max
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 7:57 am

Garage
I don't have a starting problem normally, but do find on occasion that if I thumb the starter button for just a moment and make the motor turn (I'm still used to my 1098's servo-assist start) and then release it, that trying to get it subsequently started turns into a real debacle.

Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 8:00 am

How many miles do you have on the bike?

Not sure if this is applicable but I had a cold starting problem with an air cooled Monster 1100 EVO. I had about 4500 miles on it and it started doing what your bike is doing, stalling on cold startup. Bike would start fine warm but when cold it would start and then immediately stall. I took it to the dealer and they ended up having it for three weeks while they tried various things to fix the problem but nothing worked. Ducati finally recommended they start checking the basic things on the bike one of which was the valve clearances. Turned out both exhaust valves were very tight, basically zero clearance. They adjusted them and the bike started up fine from then on.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 8:50 am

My bike (2015) DVT can be a hard starter in cold weather or if it has been left for a few weeks. It has never failed to start but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either. As others noted it seems slow to turn over at the best of times.

Last year it sat for a couple of months. It was really hard to start after that and it took me a dozen or 15 attempts before it finally caught. This is a bit disappointing to say the least. My other bike, a Suzuki V-Strom 650, sits in the garage at my cottage all winter. When I take it out after its hiatus it fires up with the first brush of the button just as if I had ridden it yesterday. In my view there is no reason the Multi shouldn't do that too (especially considering the cost of it). Everyone may have their view as the relative merits of the engineering of the Ducati but my view is that is just plain and simple poor execution on the part of Ducati. There is no reason why a modern motorcycle shouldn't start quickly and reliably every time. If Suzuki can do it so can Ducati. Just my two cents.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldroamer View Post
My bike (2015) DVT can be a hard starter in cold weather or if it has been left for a few weeks. It has never failed to start but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either. As others noted it seems slow to turn over at the best of times.
I've had similar problems with my 2016 Multistrada. My bike came pretty close to failing to start once. Had to leave it overnight at the dealer when I got delayed and couldn't pick it up the same day a routine service was completed. Bike sat overnight in an unheated garage where temps probably went into the 40's (Fahrenheit). Temps were in the low 50's when I come to pick it up the next morning and it wouldn't start after 4-5 attempts. Techs tried another 2-3 times without luck then wheeled it back into the garage and were about to connect it to a charger when they have it one final attempt... and it finally came to life and kept running.

I habitually leave the bike connected to a trickle charger when it's parked in my garage. Starting is lethargic even at the best of times, so I like to make sure the battery it "topped up"...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Ducati finally recommended they start checking the basic things on the bike one of which was the valve clearances. Turned out both exhaust valves were very tight, basically zero clearance. They adjusted them and the bike started up fine from then on.
My Tech was told to check belt tension also, which would have a similar effect.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 5:08 am

I've had similar issues with my '15. My dealer has been exceptional and taken care of all my issues ( too many to list). It's probably a sensor and there are many along with 5 computers. What could possibly go wrong?!! Try resetting the CPU. Also try disconnecting the stupid charcoal canister and plug the lines. Could be air filter since it just flops around under the tank. I had sand and 2mm stones INSIDE my air box. That's under the air cleaner and thru the screen. My dealer fixed that issue when the engine was rebuilt at 25,000 mi. All under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode