Any 15-17 Model Year Bluetooth Issues? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschemkes View Post
How do You activate Siri while riding?
Actually, lemme walk that back a bit. I was conflating a couple things.

The Scala has limited voice recognition. I just say things like "Play music," "Pause music," "Next track" and stuff like that. If I need to talk to Siri directly, like for getting directions, I have to tap the button on the side of the Scala, then talk.

It's all kind of academic at this point. The antenna on the Scala broke, and I've come to realize I like riding a whole lot better without the distractions. I won't be replacing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2017, 1:33 am

I've had all kinds of problems with the interface on mine and gave up on it. Headset is a Sena 10U that paired perfectly with no issues. A garmin 550 GPS, it will connect the first time when paired and works fine till you turn the bike off. It then forgets the pairing and you need to do the entire pairing process again each time you power cycle the bike. My android phone (motorola moto-x) refused to play music through the bike, phone calls worked fine. I could manually start music on the phone but no sound would ever come across and the function to stop/start, volume control or advance tracks did nothing. I eventually just paired the GPS and the phone straight to my Sena 10U and ignored the bike altogether. It has been working perfectly this way for the last 600 miles since swapping config.

'07 SC1000 Biposto, '03 749 trackbike, '16 Multistrada Pikes Peak.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2017, 10:58 am
Nun

Garage
It pairs fine, But that's about where it begins and ends.

Ride of your life

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2017, 5:02 pm

I followed Fearless' directions on another BT thread and it does work as he says for my Sena 10U except that volume control on the Ducati is non-functional and the default is low volume. Once the initial pairing is done, which sometimes takes a while, it's fast to reconnect in my experience. But without volume control, it's useless in my book. I really wish Ducati would release updates for this. If the 2017 models still have this behavior, then Ducati shouldn't even bother advertising it. It would only be a feature for the Ducati branded BT device. I've been hoping somebody here or on another forum would be a BT developer and have a sniffer to help debug what the problem is.

Mike Santa Barbara, CA / Whidbey Island, WA
'15 MTS-S Touring, 99 Ducati 996, '07 BMW R1200S
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelmike View Post
I followed Fearless' directions on another BT thread and it does work as he says for my Sena 10U except that volume control on the Ducati is non-functional and the default is low volume. Once the initial pairing is done, which sometimes takes a while, it's fast to reconnect in my experience. But without volume control, it's useless in my book. I really wish Ducati would release updates for this. If the 2017 models still have this behavior, then Ducati shouldn't even bother advertising it. It would only be a feature for the Ducati branded BT device. I've been hoping somebody here or on another forum would be a BT developer and have a sniffer to help debug what the problem is.
Somewhere, maybe here, I saw a good description of why the bike can't control the volume in this situation. As best as I can remember it (not well) it has to do with the various BT protocols and what services are offered by each device vs which functions the device retains for itself. In this case, the protocol used, along with how the Sena distributes its functionality means that volume control is not available remotely. As I understood it, it was not just an oversight on Ducati's part, it's something that isn't 'allowed' by the devices in use.

Lemme see if I can dig that link up tonight.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2017, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
With SENA headsets I think the ducati bluetooth system doesn't add value. (at least it doesn't for me) I connected and got it working... used it for a bit and was annoyed... stopped using it.
What made you annoyed if everything connected okay? I would think seeing who's calling, answering calls and controlling phone music would add some value?
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2017, 7:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkrind View Post
In this case, the protocol used, along with how the Sena distributes its functionality means that volume control is not available remotely.
That's not quite true as I have a Sena 20S and the Sena handlebar remote. The remote can control the 20S' volume, music tracks, answer phone calls and activate the Siri function right from the remote. So remote control is possible, I just think Sena should share their protocols with Ducati to get this working.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler358 View Post
That's not quite true as I have a Sena 20S and the Sena handlebar remote. The remote can control the 20S' volume, music tracks, answer phone calls and activate the Siri function right from the remote. So remote control is possible, I just think Sena should share their protocols with Ducati to get this working.
I'm not suggesting it's a Sena-specific protocol that's the issue. The word I should have been using is 'profile' anyway. There are about a bazillion pre-defined BT profiles, each intended for a specific purpose. Not all of them support all functions.

For example, AVRCP is meant to control streams of audio or video content. But not all versions of that profile support volume control. So if one of the connected devices is not using a version of the profile that supports volume control, then the Ducati setup will not be able to do that regardless of whether the function is on the handlebar or not. I don't know how Sena's handlebar remote connects; it could be using an altogether different profile for auxiliary devices I guess.

Sena says this on their website, note that it doesn't say anything about volume control in their AVRCP description, which is I believe the profile that Ducati uses to connect to it. As I'm leafing through the Sena manual, it looks to me like Sena expects to be the device in the chain controlling the volume.

Quote:
Headset Pro le, Hands-Free Pro le (HFP), Advanced Audio Distribution Pro le (A2DP) and Audio Video Remote Control Pro le (AVRCP).
Quote:
Remote Control Pairing (AVRCP)

This pairing mode allows you to control certain functions on a Sena headset such as pausing / un-pausing your music or changing tracks forwards or backwards on a mobile phone. This pairing mode is available on all Sena headsets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ile_.28A2DP.29
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 2:06 am

Maybe we should do a stick for headsets that work? Because I doubt Ducati is going to make any updates soon?
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw0dbb View Post
Maybe we should do a stick for headsets that work? Because I doubt Ducati is going to make any updates soon?
And if they did it would be a Dealer Only thing, where we pay $120 for them to upload the update to, ya know, get it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode