DVT Front rotor replacements (and pads) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2017, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Question DVT Front rotor replacements (and pads)

There have been a number of threads concerning the front brakes, rusting, warping, noisy pads, etc. Instead of cross topic-ing those I thought to start a new thread.

Looking for thoughts around the replacement of the front rotors/pads combinations for 2015+. I have had the rotors warp; proven with a micrometer and replaced by Ducati under warranty. I just think they are poor quality rotors. I notice shuddering/pulsing when there is build up on the rotors which some say once cleaned (scotch brite and brake cleaner) is reduced/eliminated. I have always thought from the day I took delivery that there was too much drag (compared to other bikes). I don’t get any fluid pushing higher in the reservoir, so they are not overfilled.
I would also like to get rid of the sad trombone noise and squeaking.

- Anyone completed a replacement. Brand and thoughts?
- How about switching to 320mm rotors, less rotating mass, more aftermarket options. Street stopping power difference would be debatable?
- I read on a Panigale thread that the Brembo's T's may have fitment issue with the ABS disc?

I have been looking at a couple options:
- BrakeTech (stainless) as no other companies make the high quality 10mm offset rotors in 330mm style- other than the Braketech. Someone tell me if there is another option, would like to know?
- Other than that I would have to go to 320mm.

BrakeTech AXIS Cobra Stainless Steel Series: [330mm] Monster 1200 S/R, MTS 1200 S/2015- [Pair]

BREMBO HP T-Drive Disk Kit: [Ducati 5 Bolt/320mm, 10MM Offset] - Monster 796, Monster 1100 EVO, 821, 1200, Hypermotard, Diavel, MTS1200, Hyperstrada

[I have no affiliation with Motowheels, they just have been always helpful with questions and have bought from them in the past]

Thanks for any input.

Present – 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s | 2000 Ducati MH900e **Past Sins – 2007 MG Griso|2004 Aprilia Tuono|2003 Ducati 748|2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon|1996 Ducati 750 Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2017, 11:58 am

I have used my DVT for 12000kms. I changed my pads with EBC HH pads. I also applied a light coating on nickel slip on the back of the pads. I don't get any shudder or weird noises when I push the bike around. I have not had any warping issues either. I have used my multi in all road conditions be it hot, cold, dry, wet, on road, off road.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2017, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoonk View Post
I changed my pads with EBC HH pads. I also applied a light coating on nickel slip on the back of the pads. I don't get any shudder or weird noises when I push the bike around.
Thanks - Did you have those noises before the swap to the EBC pads?

Present – 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s | 2000 Ducati MH900e **Past Sins – 2007 MG Griso|2004 Aprilia Tuono|2003 Ducati 748|2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon|1996 Ducati 750 Monster

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Garage
Quote:
I have used my DVT for 12000kms. I changed my pads with EBC HH pads. I also applied a light coating on nickel slip on the back of the pads. I don't get any shudder or weird noises when I push the bike around. I have not had any warping issues either. I have used my multi in all road conditions be it hot, cold, dry, wet, on road, off road.
I also just mounted EBC HH pads (23000 miles), I didn't have any warping but have not tracked the bike or anything I'd consider "extreme duty". Weather has not permitted riding yet so no comment on performance or noise.

The Braketech rotors look like nice parts... I've generally heard good things about their quality.

Motorcycle Superstore has EBC 330mm rotors for DVT S bikes... they don't look like great parts (2/3 the price though).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2017, 1:11 pm

The EBC pads have stopped the noise. Yes I did have a lot of noise from the rotors before. But I am not sure if it was the pad change or the fact that I used the nickelslip on the back that did the trick.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2017, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
The EBC pads have stopped the noise. Yes I did have a lot of noise from the rotors before. But I am not sure if it was the pad change or the fact that I used the nickelslip on the back that did the trick.
I used some copper based on the back of the pads to try to resolve with no luck. I suspect it was the pads, not the nickelslip that was your fix.

Anyone know the run-out tolerance on the rotors?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2017, 6:56 am

I had a groaning noise from my front brakes when pushing the bike around or rolling to a stop. Some Coppaslip on the back of the pads and the little notch on the top where the locking pin goes through sorted it out.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Garage
I swapped the OEM discs with EBC's Vee-Rotors and EBC's HH pads. The noise is gone when dry. Still there when wet but less pronounced and at even smaller speeds (no slip whatsoever on the back of the pads)
lemansiii likes this.

Multistrada 1200 ABS '11
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Hello. I followed the link to the rotors and says out of stock. Anyone get a set or know how much $? Thanks
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2017, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalist View Post
Hello. I followed the link to the rotors and says out of stock. Anyone get a set or know how much $? Thanks
When I went to order the 330mm stainless steel Motowheels called me and told me the Braketech has not started to make the 330mm (BTD-37.SL) for the MS1200s. Motowheels site now says "July 2017" - when they were on the website they were $739/pair. IMHO I suspect they are feeling out the demand. Many may argue the 330mm is a marketing move and high-quality 320mm set up is going to outperform the stock ones all day long.

Here is a theory, meaning I don't have any empirical evidence to support it; just BS shop talk.
Because the 330mm is larger (more surface) it can cool faster, but it all comes down to the quality of the material. Theoretically, you could build rotors bigger with cheaper material. Based on my experience with the OEM ones on the DVT MS1200s it does take much for me to buy that one (they are crap). A high-quality 320mm is going to perform better and have less rotating mass. Keeping in mind 1lb of unsprung weight is equal to 6lbs of sprung weight. An interesting note is that when they can't run ceramic rotors in GP due to wet conditions they run 310mm iron. Now, wet usually means cooler air and reduced traction which is going to mean you are limited to the amount of braking power you can apply. Anyway, that is my 2 cents, I am Canadian so it is only 1.5 cents US.
I think if you are going to replace the OEM ones on this bike you have a lot more options with the 320mm (lower $) and you are going to be better off.
I ended up going with 320mm Ductile iron rotors. Search for BTD-32.R. I have not installed them yet, but will provide my impressions when I do. Sure look purdy though

Last edited by Snowshoe; Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:10 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode