Radiator guard - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2017, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Radiator guard

Sitting here in the Northeast of America, while waiting for stable weather. The only bike related activities that are worthwhile is doing road readiness for the season ahead.

I don't remember ever reading about anyone having a issue with damage to their radiators not being protected with a aftermarket guard.

I did do some searching when I first purchased my current MTS. But my interest faded because I didn't see anything that convinced me that it was worthy due to the fact of air flow restrictions.

If anyone has had accidental damage or has found a gaurd that they are happy with, It would be great to hear about it.
Thanks

Current whiplist:
MST/Pikes Pike----Transformer/Sky Hooked
1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine(Just sold)
DRZ 400 Tarded----Urban assault vehicle
Road King----------Date bike/Hangover bike
XT 225------------Grocery getter/Packie bike
RD 350------------Giant Killer
Past whiplist, I drink to them all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Simple aluminum window screen material provides the best protection and won't have any restriction to cooling air. It'll keep the bugs out too

If you're looking to just dress up your bike there are many screen sizes and patterns available from McMaster -Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#expanded-metal/=ttj5cw

One option I thought was particularly attractive is security screen mesh called Crimsafe pictured below.

Security Screens, Hurricane Protection, Insect Screen and Solar Shading from Crimsafe
Progressive Security Screens
8665 Miralani Drive, Suite 100
San Diego, California 92126
858-271-0900
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pasted Graphic 3.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	802713  
Svet Angelov likes this.

Last edited by Strega; Mar 25th, 2017 at 4:56 pm.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2017, 5:13 pm

I ordered the Evotech Rad guard and header guard, install was pretty easy (fairings did need to be removed). I've never bought a rad guard before, but my last bikes rad got incredibly nasty and dirty and was very hard to clean. I skipped the oil cooler guard, as i feel its pretty well tucked up there and safer from major debris. I have a pikes peak dvt, so looks are more important to me than a real rugged piece of protection anyway.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2017, 5:46 pm

I think a lot of the need for a guard depends upon the type of roads in your area. I'd never had them on any bike until I moved to TX.

There they seem to have a lot of seal and chip type roads where for some reason, probably the heat, the chips come loose very easily.

My first time out on my 1299, resulted in me having to have the nose fairing repainted because of the stone chips.

A friend had a stone chip damage the radiator of his first ride of his Aprilia Tuono RF.

So I now have them on all my bikes. They don't seem to affect the airflow or make the bike run hot. Whether they are effective protection, I think they are better than not having them considering how cheap and easy to install that they are.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2017, 9:42 pm

I went with the Evotech radiator guard on my DVT Multi. The front fender is nearly useless and I had quite a bit of crap embedded in the radiator after the first couple of rides. No damage, but it made me nervous enough that I thought a radiator guard might be a good idea. If nothing else, it makes keeping the radiator clean a bit easier...
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2017, 6:34 am

AltRider Guards

I went with the complete AltRider set (Radiator, Oil Cooler, Cylinder Head, Header & Water Pump) on my 14 1200S GT and love it. No negative impact on cooling, and I'm in deep South Texas where 100+ is normal. On road or off, and both while riding 2-up and loaded down, I never had engine temperature issues. Solid components and a great design that protects the radiator from debris but guides the air towards it. I shot a couple videos of it so you can see it on the bike, please feel free to check them out.
Video #1: https://youtu.be/kUN69CnFHnw
Video #2: https://youtu.be/YnCLF7tnmDU

2014 Multistrada Granturismo
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2017, 10:56 am

had these Cox Racing Group on most of my bikes before the Pikes Peak and have been very happy with it:

2015 - 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 - all
complexCarlo likes this.

2016 Pikes Peak
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
My interest faded because I didn't see anything that convinced me that it was worthy due to the fact of air flow restrictions.
I installed a Cox radiator and oil guard set on my 2013 S. No problems.

And really, I can't see any reasoning behind air flow "restrictions". I have rad guards on all of my bikes and have noticed absolutely zero overheating issues.
sixfive and complexCarlo like this.

2013 Multistrada 1200 S Touring
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2017, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback on the selections that you have given, a couple of good ones.

As for the install, how did that go?
And the fitment, no problems?

Thanks

Current whiplist:
MST/Pikes Pike----Transformer/Sky Hooked
1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine(Just sold)
DRZ 400 Tarded----Urban assault vehicle
Road King----------Date bike/Hangover bike
XT 225------------Grocery getter/Packie bike
RD 350------------Giant Killer
Past whiplist, I drink to them all!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Did the Cox on my Tuono and 1299, 15-20 minutes taking my time.

The Multi came with one on it.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode