Octane? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Octane?

I'm planning a two week-long trip next month, and a large part of it will be in rural (US) areas. I'm guessing it's likely that I'll come across gas stations in some areas that will only have 89 octane regular gas instead of the 93 octane I usually use, and I'm not sure just what to do when that happens. I've only had my 2011 Multi for a little over 6 months, and I'm not exactly sure how much latitude I have to deviate from Ducati's recommended minimum octane rating. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2008 1098
2011 Multistrada 1200S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:04 am
Nun

Garage
I've run 87 when forced to, the bike handles it okay.

Don't worry about it, if you really are stressing, carry a bottle of techtron of seafoam and put it in as you fill the lower octane fuel

Ride of your life
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:43 am

Here in India our normal fuel is 87 octane and the premium is 91. You could go for the super duper premium at 97 octane but it's not available easily. I have had a 2010 streetfighter 1098 and the multi DVT. I can confirm that there has never been an issue with fuel and the bikes have run fine on them.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought about carrying a bottle of octane-boosting fuel additive, but the Ducati service manual warns against any kind of fuel additive. Does the octane-boosting additive really work?

2008 1098
2011 Multistrada 1200S Touring
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisjj View Post
Thanks. I thought about carrying a bottle of octane-boosting fuel additive, but the Ducati service manual warns against any kind of fuel additive. Does the octane-boosting additive really work?

For my 7000km trip to north india I knew fuel would be an issue. I had carried a small bottle of fuel injector cleaner with me. If and when I felt that the pump I was using may not have the best fuel, I added a small amount of cleaner(less than the recommended amount) just for piece of mind. I have no idea if it did its job or not but I had no issues anywhere.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 9:30 am
Directorate of Internal Security

Garage
I┤ve run my -10 MTS1200 since it was new on 95 octane RON (EU standard for octane) which equals 84-85 octane MON or 90 octane (AKI) or (R+M)/2
So first look what standard they are using in the recommendation and then look at what standard you get at the pump.

It seems the US usually uses Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2. 95 regular RON is what I use, that gives you 90 Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2 octane.
So you should be fine. I believe the MTS1200 single spark (2010 - 2012) is rated for 92 octane RON or 87 octane Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2. Double check the manual on that.

IF you should drop to low in octane, its not a huge problem. The engine will "ping" or self detonate before the fuel/air mixture is suppose to be ignited by the sparkplug and your going to feel a temporary loss in power at high loads (full power) and you can stop that with just closing the throttle slightly until it stops.
If you do happen to have low quality fuel in the Engine, then just try and nurse it and dont go tearing around with it. Not that your possible going to have any issues. The compression ratios and so on on the MTS1200 is nowhere near the high compression of a full sports bike. Just be extra mindful if you combine low quality fuel with lots of uphill and high altitude. Higher altidude does impact on the Engine and your more likely to get into trouble.

The good thing is that octane mixes easily, so stopping for a quick quarter or half tank premium fill up before heading up in the hills is a good idea.
PhilBoncer likes this.

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Íhlins mechatronics SCU
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Garage
FWIW: Brenda (Wife on ST3s) and I ('04 ST4s and now MTS) have for over 10 years often stopped for gas on trips "out west" where there was one and only one choice to get fuel for many miles around; to find that the singular gas pump had only "regular" 87-88 octane. We filled 'em up and took off for another 150 miles or so of wide open spaces at a "fast touring" pace. I cannot say that either of us ever experienced any significant issues with any of our Ducs using such fuel. That said, when I do have a choice I always choose the highest octane rating available (although sometimes I do wonder why).

2012 Multistrada S Touring, Full Termi System,
2010 848 Hayden SE Full Termi system,
2004 BMW R1100S BCR, Ohlins & Staintune,
2010 Vespa GTS 250ie.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraige View Post
That said, when I do have a choice I always choose the highest octane rating available (although sometimes I do wonder why).
Ducati's recommended fuel for your bike is Plus grade — so why would you ignore it? Simply stated, you'll make more power using Plus than using Premium grade fuel.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 6:51 pm

You could carry a small can of Boostane and the provided Boostane phone App to adjust your octane up as desired.

2001 Monster S4
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisjj View Post
I'm planning a two week-long trip next month, and a large part of it will be in rural (US) areas. I'm guessing it's likely that I'll come across gas stations in some areas that will only have 89 octane regular gas instead of the 93 octane I usually use, and I'm not sure just what to do when that happens. I've only had my 2011 Multi for a little over 6 months, and I'm not exactly sure how much latitude I have to deviate from Ducati's recommended minimum octane rating. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I've spent my whole life in rural 'murica... never had a problem getting 93 (well... 91 at least).

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode