Front sprocket change: impressive - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Front sprocket change: impressive

I had the MS in for fluid changes and had the front sprocket sized down to a 14. The dealer was unwilling to change the rear to a 42 without replacing the chain, and I'm a ways from needing a chain, so went with the front only. Wasn't expecting a whole lot of difference, but to my surprise it actually is quite a difference.

With the stock ratios, I rarely got out of third gear (we're limited to 55 mph around here, and don't see that too often with traffic). Now 55 mph in fourth gear is right at 4000 rpm, which seems to be a sweet spot for my motor, and fifth gear is a possibility. Ratios are a bit closer together, which I like, and while out riding in the hills with the Mrs on board everything was nice and smooth, with easy power even in urban mode.

For a very inexpensive mod, there's a lot of value here. I'm looking forward to wearing my chain out and putting that 42 in the back.

2014 Multistrada GT
Past: BMW 1150 GS, Moto Guzzi Norge 8v GT (For Sale), some sort of Honda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 8:35 pm

Any known issues with the chain wearing into the swingarm or other areas? I only ask as I'm coming from the Monster world where that can be an issue, but I'm in the market for a MS and that might be something I'd end up doing.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 11:47 pm

What's the difference in speedometer readings now?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooveyB View Post
Any known issues with the chain wearing into the swingarm or other areas? I only ask as I'm coming from the Monster world where that can be an issue, but I'm in the market for a MS and that might be something I'd end up doing.

I've not read of any.

2014 Multistrada GT
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 12:03 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler358 View Post
What's the difference in speedometer readings now?

same, the speedo reads off of the wheel rotation and not the engine rotation AFAIK. At any rate, I don't see a difference vs GPS speed.

BTW, the gearing difference is, I believe, about 7%, which actually is kind of significant (I think 5% is the threshold for significance...or is that with bicycles?)

2014 Multistrada GT
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Garage
This website will give you more information about sprocket changes that you can ever use or imagine:

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

AND, its free.

2012 Multistrada S Touring, Full Termi System,
2010 848 Hayden SE Full Termi system,
2004 BMW R1100S BCR, Ohlins & Staintune,
2010 Vespa GTS 250ie.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 1:24 am

Tea-review down is good on multi

1 down on the counter shaft sprocket is a great mod on the Multistrada. These bikes are geared to high, as most bikes are these days, to begin with. It's cheap and gives BIG dividends. I did mine right away and never looked back. No I'll side effects.DO IT...

2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak
Termignoni system
Brembo Monoblocks
Ferodo XRAC pads in front
Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder
-1 on countershaft
Heated grips
Panniers
Crash protection
CRG levers
Blinder HP-905 Laser defeat
Valentine one
Autocom communication
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwax View Post
... For a very inexpensive mod, there's a lot of value here. I'm looking forward to wearing my chain out and putting that 42 in the back.
I'd advise against a 14/42 combination. Having the rear sprocket be a multiple of the front sprocket isn't good; every 3 rotations the chain will line up on exactly the same teeth on both, exacerbating wear variations. You're better off technically, for longevity of both the chain and the sprockets, with tooth number combinations that don't match up so neatly. Either 14/41 or 14/43 would last better.

PhilB
shorton likes this.

1993 Ducati Monster M900, 259K miles (so far)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 5:30 pm
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
I'd advise against a 14/42 combination. Having the rear sprocket be a multiple of the front sprocket isn't good; every 3 rotations the chain will line up on exactly the same teeth on both, exacerbating wear variations. You're better off technically, for longevity of both the chain and the sprockets, with tooth number combinations that don't match up so neatly. Either 14/41 or 14/43 would last better.

PhilB
I'm glad you pointed that out.

The makers specifically engineer things to avoid these types of issues and riders sometimes dig themselves a hole by ignoring these types of things.

But strangely, the Cagiva Gran Canyon came with 15/45.

HTH.

M./

Innovative Electrical Upgrades Since 2002 |*EVERY* motorcycle will start in 1 second or less if the starting circuit is properly engineered. Install our HICAP II starting circuit upgrade to the get quick easy starting you expected from your high-performance engine. Excess cranking accelerates wear on the; battery, starter motor, sprag clutch and intermediate gear. - - Pay a little now or pay a lot more later. Click to learn more Motolectric.com |
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2017, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
I'd advise against a 14/42 combination. Having the rear sprocket be a multiple of the front sprocket isn't good; every 3 rotations the chain will line up on exactly the same teeth on both, exacerbating wear variations.
PhilB
That is semi-true.

This is only a problem if the number of links on the chain is also a multiple of a sprockets. In your 42 rear example, a chain with 84 or 126 links would be at the same place on the rear sprocket 2 or 3 times per revolution of the chain. Otherwise, no problem.

On the front, 112 links would give the same tooth same link 8 times at every revolution of the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolectric View Post
I'm glad you pointed that out.

But strangely, the Cagiva Gran Canyon came with 15/45.

M./
For the same reason, only a problem with a 90 or 120 link chain.
pmrobert likes this.

Macs are like Harleys... For wannabe different people, who get all the same sh!t

Last edited by Ricko; Mar 21st, 2017 at 6:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode