"New" 2014 Pikes Peak - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2017, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

"New" 2014 Pikes Peak

I've got my '13 GSA for sale and will be replacing it with a Multistrada. I had thought I found the perfect one, but had a curveball thrown at me and I'm looking for opinions.

What I found was an advertised New 2014 Pikes Peak at a great price. It seemed like a steal even though there's a lot of great used bikes out there right now. At the suggestion of a fellow rider I asked to verify it still had the factory warranty which was stated in the spec tab of their advertisement on their website. I was told the warranty went into affect 7/2014 and it is now expired.

So I initially walked because I felt that was false advertising or should have at least been mentioned upfront once we started talking final numbers.

But the more I've talked to people they don't seem to think it's a problem, and this includes my local Duc dealer and a professional motorcycle mechanic who lives next door. The local dealer's guess is it was registered as a demo bike and was just never setup. From what I'm told it hasn't even been prepped or processed for sale yet.

So my question to you is would you consider purchasing a 1 mile new bike that has been sitting 3yrs without a warranty? Or would you rather have a used bike without a warranty that has been broken in and maybe had its first major service?

I'm happy with my decision to walk away, but the fact a competing dealer said it wouldn't scare him off has me thinking.

Last edited by jtclark13; Mar 19th, 2017 at 10:14 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:15 am
Sco

1 mile new bike .

2011 Multi S - Laser cut Filmguard , Evotech rad guard , Ohlins Mechtronic ECU
Tuneboy-Tune Edit,CC,QS, Leo Vince decat, MWR performance air filter
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:18 am
Nun

Garage
You will never know how it was broken in, unless you break it in yourself.

I Break my bikes in a certain way and unless it has 20k or more on it AND runs perfectly. I'd buy it new

Ride of your life

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:32 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nun View Post
You will never know how it was broken in, unless you break it in yourself.

I Break my bikes in a certain way and unless it has 20k or more on it AND runs perfectly. I'd buy it new
You might be able to get an extended warranty. I'd check. I got a NOS 2014 PP myself. But mine had the full warranty.

2014 Pikes Peak
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton View Post
You might be able to get an extended warranty. I'd check. I got a NOS 2014 PP myself. But mine had the full warranty.
That's an option I'm considering, adding an extended warranty and going with the new bike. Puts me well above my initial budget considering I thought I was going to come out of this bike change with some cash in my pocket, but I should have known better...

I still want details on why the warranty was ever started though to avoid possible issues with title/registration down the line. Something had to trigger it. And since the bike supposedly was never prepped I wasn't able to verify it is a zero mile bike since it didn't have juice when I dropped in to check it out last week.

Based on comments above and other forums the '14 sounds like a great bike, I see quite a few new '15 DVTs out there too but like the feedback on the '14 better. I can add heated grips, and cruise control would be nice but not a necessity.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Garage
In my limited experience the ones that got the warranty clock started were registered as demo bikes with D. Maybe they got it as a demo registered it and never actually let anyone demo it. Maybe part of a "demo allocation" and they had to register it cause they got a discount on a demo bike. I can't think of anything to check on it being a no miles bike (surely it has some from the factory), other than the sprockets or calipers. The selling dealer ought to know the story as to why. And be careful if it matters, some of the extended warranties require the original warranty is still active before they can sell.

For farkles the #1 thing I got was the tuneboy cruise control. I could probably never have another bike without it. I did not add heated grips. I did add:
CalSci Windshield
Frame and axle sliders
Inexpensive garmin Nuvi 1490 GPS with Ram mount (total cost about $60).
Navihalter GPS mount
SWMotech curved tankbag
Tailbag
Tail Tidy (I've got an extra new one I'll give you a deal on)
EVO radiator and oil cooler guards
Garage door opener

Finally I just ordered Sargent seat to try out (30 day return policy). Not as nice looking but My butt not happy after 200 miles with stock seat.

2014 Pikes Peak
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
In my limited experience the ones that got the warranty clock started were registered as demo bikes with D. Maybe they got it as a demo registered it and never actually let anyone demo it. Maybe part of a "demo allocation" and they had to register it cause they got a discount on a demo bike. I can't think of anything to check on it being a no miles bike (surely it has some from the factory), other than the sprockets or calipers. The selling dealer ought to know the story as to why. And be careful if it matters, some of the extended warranties require the original warranty is still active before they can sell.

For farkles the #1 thing I got was the tuneboy cruise control. I could probably never have another bike without it. I did not add heated grips. I did add:
CalSci Windshield
Frame and axle sliders
Navihalter GPS mount
SWMotech curved tankbag
Tailbag
Garage door opener

Finally I just ordered Sargent seat to try out (30 day return policy). Not as nice looking but My butt not happy after 200 miles with stock seat.
I will certainly be careful on the warranty, it's got to be legit before I lay down any cash. As for farkles, I've got a list ready to go and sounds like I need to look at tuneboy. The plan is to keep my Touratech Zega Pro panniers to install, will only need to buy the rack. I've got the black ones which look pretty sweet on the PP. They're a little big but I'll use them, I tend to overpack. I also want something that will hold a full face helmet and I hate the look of the big round top cases. After that I'll try to slowly (ya right) make my way down the list. If the seat is like every other stock seat it may be towards the top.

But this is all contingent on the PP working out. If I go used the previous farkles will determine my path.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm

DUCATI MTS-PP (2012) owner and lovin' the MTS, new 2014 Pikes Peak (unmolested) at a great price would be my personal preference but in the end ~ your call and $$$$'s...

Somewhere down the road in China..... TB-Racing
ADV Cruising China: http://tinyurl.com/zkm7omz
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Had someone confirm Ducati starts the warranty clock when it gives a dealer a demo credit on the cost of a bike to make up for the miles it will have on it. Will confirm with dealer that's the case and look at an aftermarket warranty. Leaning this direction, thanks for the solid input.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

CalSci Windshield
Frame and axle sliders
Navihalter GPS mount
SWMotech curved tankbag
Tailbag
Garage door opener

May be in touch on the tidy tail...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode