Couldn't Think of A Better Way to Break In My New Pikes Peak Multistrada - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Couldn't Think of A Better Way to Break In My New Pikes Peak Multistrada

From my blog:

I bought a new bike in late December, just before Christmas. I decided to upgrade the Multistrada I've loved so much (for six years and 34,000 miles or so), and I bought a 2016 Multistrada Pikes Peak edition.

While I never expect to be able to ride much in the winter months here in Idaho, this winter has been ridiculous! Snow upon snow upon snow upon temps around zero, which never seem to end. So much so, that I haven't been able to put even one mile on the bike since I bought it. And once the snow does melt, the roads are a complete mess of water, sand, salt and chemicals. No thanks.

So, I spent the last few weeks dreaming of riding her, and performing a few mods like an Akrapovic titanium exhaust system, some engine and radiator guards, a super high decibel horn, etc. All dressed up with no place to go.

This past week, I finally couldn't take it anymore, so I looked on the map, and checked weather reports, trying to find the closest area I could that would be reasonably warm, dry, not take too long to get to, and give me some opportunity to at least do a bit of winter riding. I don't mind it being a little cold - I'll ride with temps in the mid-30's to mid-50's and not have a problem since I've got good heated gear to wear. Southern Utah? Nevada? Coastal Oregon? Northern California?

Best alternative seemed to be California for sure. About a nine hour drive to get to the Sacramento area, which could be a good launch point for some fun riding over two days. I'd drive over Friday, ride the weekend, and drive back home Sunday night and Monday morning. Kind of like so many of the trackday weekends I've done in years past, to Thunderhill or Spring Mountain or wherever. Only this time, my track destination would be the streets of northern California.

Forecast looked wet for Friday, but just cool and sunny over the weekend. Good enough. I didn't love the idea of my new baby getting all wet and dirty in the back of my pickup driving over in the rain and snow, but I figured it would be worth it. I surveyed road condition reports online, and found that several of the routes I was thinking about were blocked due to mudslides, from the massive amount of rain and flooding they've been having. Finally I planned a route of about 600 miles, narrowing it down to roads that looked like fun, and seemed to at least be passable.

The route I wound up doing was a little different, caused by a muddy detour. It wound up looking like this:

Friday morning, off I went. As I passed from Idaho into Oregon, it just looked cold and snowy ahead.

As I approached the Reno area, I started seeing highway signs saying that I-80 was closed at the state line to all trucks. I went online and saw that there was also a big detour from the highway due to a mudslide. Wonderful. Still, I'd come this far. I was going to find a way to ride this weekend. Going over Donner Pass was kind of nuts. Snow and sleet, with lots of mud and debris all over the road. Nasty!

As we descended along the detour route, the sun came out and it warmed up into the low 60's, almost magically! Felt so great to see sunshine, green grass, and know that soon I'd be riding. I stopped for the night and sampled some regional farm-to-table cuisine:

I could hardly sleep from excitement (or maybe the double-double in my gut), but finally morning came and I loaded up the bike for my ride. It felt surreal to be actually getting on my new bike and riding it for the first time, this time of year, on a long tour of some new terrain. I was very happy, to say the least!

As I rode, I familiarized myself with the new bike, noting the changes from my previous-gen Multi. Lots of similarities of course, but lots of differences too! I love the new color display, which is bright and full of easily accessible information. Really nice. Seat seems to be a little more comfortable, giving a bit more room and options on sliding forward or back a bit - certainly more than the old one did. I need to figure out a better touring windscreen. The Pikes Peak little carbon fiber one looks cool, but it was noisy! Brakes seemed to be significantly better - very impressive! Suspension felt plush, but way too soft for the type of riding I was doing. I'll have to do some adjusting there. Power was outstanding, and the sound through the trapezoidal Akrapovic was positively badass. I was worried that if I tried to stay at least close to the recommended break-in RPM guidelines, I'd feel completely hamstrung, but the bike has tons of power all through the RPM range. It'll do around 90 in sixth gear before even hitting 5500 RPM, which was generally plenty (or so I've heard).

It wasn't long before I hit the twisties - and it felt SOOOOO good!

This particular road was pretty rough, but it didn't matter. It was still a ton of fun, and they'd just get better and better as I went along. But it had been months since my last ride, so it just felt awesome.

One thing I did notice in a hurry, was how flooded it was everywhere over there! Wet roads with lots of residue from very recent mudslides, roadside waterfalls, and roaring rivers of brown, full of mud and debris. All the land completely saturated and wet.
SP3, Zixxer2Go, fastrob691 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

I proceeded over the top of a big mountain, on a fast, flowing and empty road that was really nice (Hwy 162 / Alder Springs Road). On the map it looked like it would take me on a twisty journey through Covelo and ultimately over to Fort Bragg, my destination for the night. I climbed and climbed, and it got colder and colder. I started seeing a bunch of snow on the sides of the road. Okay, I'm ready to descend now! Suddenly, I saw the dreaded sign which read "PAVEMENT ENDS." Crap. I don't mind a dirt road, as long as it's not that long, and not that treacherous. But not this time of year, especially not this wet year. Deep mud and snow. No chance.

Time to turn around and reroute. Views heading back down the hill were sure nice!

I stopped in Willows for some lunch at the Mexican joint near Thunderhill Raceway, and planned the reroute. I'd head south and pick up Hwy 20 along Clear Lake, which would take me all the way to Fort Bragg. Clear Lake was bigger than I expected, and pretty to ride around.

I finally got to Fort Bragg, and reached THE END.

The end of my riding day, and the continent. Thankfully, they had that special place where Ducatis are frequently known to congregate... I just hoped no Ducatisti would see how dirty my baby was, and kick me out of the Ducati Owners Club.

Thank goodness just down the street was a car wash, where I could remedy the situation, at least enough to get me through the next day.

Sunday morning it was pretty cold in Fort Bragg - about 34 degrees when I left the hotel around 7:30 AM. But the sun was coming up, and Hwy 1 was remarkably empty, which I'm sure is quite unusual! It was so great to be able to enjoy that spectacular stretch of road in relative solitude.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Spectacular! What a gift to be able to enjoy such a cool bike with this kind of scenery, riding a kick-ass fun road - in February??! Very grateful for sure.

At Stewarts Point I turned inland on a very odd little road, that just didn't seem quite right. It was really narrow, bumpy and steep, heading into a deep, dark forest - so dark that I couldn't see the road (or its potholes and other dangers) without opening my dark visor. But when I opened the visor, it was so cold that it made my eyes water. Was this really a road that would take me over to Cloverdale like the map showed? It was really primitive. Kind of fun at the very slow speeds it required, and certainly interesting. But I sure didn't want to get 20 miles into this thing and have to turn around because of some log across the road, or mudslide or other problem. I decided to keep going, and it got better and better. Smoother, wider, with the most amazing diversity. Bright sunlight and broad views, and then back into dark, tight and twisty sections. Amazing!

This closeup view of the map will give you an idea of just how twisty this awesome road is - 45 miles of corners!

I fueled up in Cloverdale, and headed north on 128 to Boonville. Now this was a FUN and FAST road. The flow was amazing! One of my all-time favorites. So great.

The stretch of Hwy 175 between Hopland and Lakeport was INSANE! Super hilly, tight and fun. I happened to come up behind a couple of other guys on bikes - one on a Yamaha FZ and one on a Harley, both wearing jeans and hoodies with their helmets and gloves. I figured I'd be past them pretty quickly (hopelessly competitive sort that I am). No way! These guys were flying - even the dude on the Harley! There were quite a few muddy corners due to all the flooding, and Harley dude would twist the throttle hard coming out of each, sliding the rear end and throwing up a roost, and having all kinds of fun. Later on the flat sections, FZ guy was doing these massive stand-up wheelies, for like a half mile each. They were nuts, but they did know how to ride a little!

All in all, day two of this trip had to be one of my favorite riding days ever. I sure don't think I've ever ridden that many corners in one day, that's for sure! Wow, unforgettable.

I finally made it back to the hotel and my waiting truck, and began the journey home. Ultimately about 680 miles of the greatest break-in period I could imagine. Good weather, a bike that was even better than I'd hoped it would be - and all of this in the middle of winter. And my exhaust system was so happy it decided to turn some pretty colors for me.

It will still seem like forever to our actual riding season up here in Idaho, but this trip definitely helped make me a little less impatient for its arrival.

Last edited by bwhip; Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:03 pm.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Garage
wow. what a trip. Looks like a awesome fun.
bwhip likes this.

2016 Ducati Panigale R
2012 Ducati StreetFighter 848
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 7:58 pm
Resident Raggamuffin

Best pics and blog in the biz.....nice!

I purchased a smoked Ducati touring screen with the same thought as yours. I haven't tried it yet so who knows. I put a medium sized Cal Sci (2" taller and wider) on my last Multi DVT and it definitely helped, not sure how the Ducati touring one compares.

How is the fueling? Did the Arrow kit come with its own ecu?

Congrats on the bike and thanks for sharing the ride with us.
fastrob691 likes this.

2016 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak
2016 BMW R1200GS
2012 Vespa 300 GTS Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Garage
Wow, I think that we saw you go by us at the Lake Berryessa dam on Sunday Afternoon... We were stopped and was looking at the spillway (Glory Hole) and I heard the Duc coming and told my wife, hey sweetie that's a Pikes Peak...
Was that you?

Next time you come down this way shoot me a PM and I would have love to show you around...

We were on the two Duc's.

bwhip likes this.

2015 MTS 1200S-Touring
2014 HyperStrada
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Great thread. Thanks!
bwhip likes this.

2012 Arctic White 1200S Touring Model
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Best pics and blog in the biz.....nice!

I purchased a smoked Ducati touring screen with the same thought as yours. I haven't tried it yet so who knows. I put a medium sized Cal Sci (2" taller and wider) on my last Multi DVT and it definitely helped, not sure how the Ducati touring one compares.

How is the fueling? Did the Arrow kit come with its own ecu?

Congrats on the bike and thanks for sharing the ride with us.
Thanks! Fueling seemed to be pretty good overall with the Akrapovic system. I never rode it with the stock system, so it was hard to tell the difference. I had it in Sport mode about 95% of the time, and it was pretty jumpy down low in the RPMs, but otherwise super smooth and with loads of power wherever and whenever I needed it. It seemed to get better and better the more miles I put on it.

My bike came with a Ducati touring windscreen, but when I went to mount it just before I left for my trip, I found that the bolts for the CF shield didn't really seem to fit the holes properly in the other one, so I must be missing some hardware. On my 2010 I had an MRA one with the adjustable foil at the top, which I liked pretty well. I've been riding a lot over the past year on my Tuono, so I figured I'd be pretty used to a wind blast, but it was pretty intense and loud on this bike at speed after a few hundred miles!
oalvarez likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybrother View Post
Wow, I think that we saw you go by us at the Lake Berryessa dam on Sunday Afternoon... We were stopped and was looking at the spillway (Glory Hole) and I heard the Duc coming and told my wife, hey sweetie that's a Pikes Peak...
Was that you?

Next time you come down this way shoot me a PM and I would have love to show you around...

We were on the two Duc's.

Haha, thanks! I bet that was me! I probably went past there around 2:30-3:00 or so? Lots of people checking out the dam. Glad that one seems more secure than the other one out your way! Wishing the best for all of the people out that way who had to be evacuated, that's pretty scary.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2017, 12:05 am
Resident Raggamuffin

Correct on the hardware as I believe it to be specific to the screen.

2016 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak
2016 BMW R1200GS
2012 Vespa 300 GTS Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode