How deep is the left switch plug - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2017, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Garage
How deep is the left switch plug

I'm going to try a new auto-signal cancelling device. Instead of splicing into the left control harness I am going to make a plug-n-play splice. I have the factory connectors ready to go. I've had the bike apart far enough to get to the GPS connector. And I've had the 2 front carbon fiber cowls off due to shipping damage. Since the carbon parts don't fit as well as one would hope, neither job was much fun.

Question is, does anyone knwo how "deep" the connector is for the left switch assembly? Any easy path to get to it? I need to get to it, unplug it, plug in my part in between the original plugs then button it back up.

Thanks,
Scott

2014 Pikes Peak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton View Post
Question is, does anyone knwo how "deep" the connector is for the left switch assembly?
I can't remember exactly where the connector for the switch assembly is. There are a few connectors directly behind the headlight, then a bunch more wedged between the gas tank and the frame. The connection point for the factory headed grips is one of the ones that's buried underneath the tank.

Quote:
Any easy path to get to it?
You'll likely have to remove all the plastic from the front of the bike. If you have small hands and good eyesight, you might be able to get away with unbolting the tank rather than removing it entirely. Recommend you buy a dictionary of Italian curse words before starting, to make the experience feel more authentic...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2017, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
Recommend you buy a dictionary of Italian curse words before starting, to make the experience feel more authentic...
LOL !! Yes, I think you are right.

2014 Pikes Peak

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2017, 11:41 am

Garage
I had a look at my bike and I have to admit that I'm a bit confused. The wiring diagram shows that the left-hand switch and heated grip wiring are in the same connector, but I know for a fact that they aren't. Furthermore, the cable from the LH switch goes straight into the main loom behind the left fork leg with no connector in sight. I can't tell for sure but the LH switch wiring might then come out to a connector that can be found in the same area where you found the GPS connector, a bit below that, tucked into a rubber holder where a number of connectors can be found.

In order to get to that area, you need to take off all of the side fairings, the black bits that say "Ducati", the tank cover and the tank itself. It's not a bad job really and once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

If you want to post a photo of the connectors that you're planning on using, I can try to confirm that the connector I'm looking at is the correct connector.

Do you know how your device works? Does it work over CAN bus? Everything coming out of the left-hand switch assembly is on CAN bus. If all you need is a CAN bus connection, there is a connector under the seat that is much easier to get to.

2015 Multistrada DVT S Touring
2004 SV650S
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2017, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. Mine's a 2014 so will be a little different but I'd be surprised if the wiring layout isn't very close. Form what I can tell from the rough shop manual I have, the plug I'm looking for is in that rubber holder. Sure am hoping to not have to remove the tank.

This is what the connector is supposed to be like on my bike:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08143.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	792121  

2014 Pikes Peak
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2017, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage
re CanBus. Yes the device is CanBus compatible but not how you might think. It's not sending canbus protocol commands to the ECU. It's signalling the ECU on your behalf. The blinker switch signals the ECU by shorting or grounding specific lines/wires. I believe the way this device works is to intercept those signals, pass them along and add it's own cancel signal when needed.

2014 Pikes Peak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode