DVT wheelie control - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

DVT wheelie control

Does anyone know, either intentially or by accident, if the wheelie control is active from a stop?

If you for what ever reason launched too hard from a standstill will it interven and keep the front end down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Why not try it and find out for us?

2000 Monster 900Sie - Blue - 40k miles | 2013 Hyperstrada - White - 15k miles
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Garage
Yes... it's always active. At higher levels you will NOT be able to get the front wheel up without an act of God. If you've never run with it low or off then I'd hazard to guess that even though you think you take off easily- in all likelihood if you shut off DWC then rode for a bit you'd realize you were taking off hard enough to wheelie every time.

At least... that's what I found out.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocog007 View Post
Why not try it and find out for us?
I would actually. But there's this pesky snow and ice that has a tendency to muck things all up here in metro Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Yes... it's always active. At higher levels you will NOT be able to get the front wheel up without an act of God. If you've never run with it low or off then I'd hazard to guess that even though you think you take off easily- in all likelihood if you shut off DWC then rode for a bit you'd realize you were taking off hard enough to wheelie every time.

At least... that's what I found out.
That's interesting that it's that active even from a stop.
I've read that you can feel the WC intervening even at the lowest setting at times.

Might be fun on those nights I'm out being a little "spirited" with my Sportbike friends at a few popular drag spots around town.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 7:57 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Fredericks View Post
I would actually. But there's this pesky snow and ice that has a tendency to muck things all up here in metro Detroit.

That's interesting that it's that active even from a stop.
I've read that you can feel the WC intervening even at the lowest setting at times.

Might be fun on those nights I'm out being a little "spirited" with my Sportbike friends at a few popular drag spots around town.
My very unscientific learnings: I don't 'purposely' wheelie (clutch up) so all mine are just under power taking off or applying power after a turn. If you shut WC off then it doesn't intervene at all as far as I could tell (I was well on my way to sitting on the pavement once when I'd forgotten I'd shut it off... I don't shut it all the way off anymore). At level 1 it does intervene but you can still get quite a bit of air under the front tire just from power (no need to clutch up). At level 2 the front comes maybe 2" up in first under power, and second gear stays planted.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 8:20 am

Garage
How do you turn it off?

2014 Pikes Peak
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 9:30 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton View Post
How do you turn it off?
Each of the riding modes can be customized to use any of the (8 I think) DWC settings... or have DWC shut completely off. If you go into the riding mode setup screens you'll be able to adjust the settings for any of the modes (on my S it's very easy).

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 9:58 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Each of the riding modes can be customized to use any of the (8 I think) DWC settings... or have DWC shut completely off. If you go into the riding mode setup screens you'll be able to adjust the settings for any of the modes (on my S it's very easy).
Thanks. 1 (or lowest) is off, right?

2014 Pikes Peak
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 10:04 am Thread Starter

I don't purposely wheelie either. I mean I can, and have. But I really don't get a great rush from doing it.
Interesting to know that you could launch pretty hard and it won't come up on you.
Not a "launch control", but could help you crank it pretty hard off the line if you felt the need I guess.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 10:32 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Fredericks View Post
I don't purposely wheelie either. I mean I can, and have. But I really don't get a great rush from doing it.
Interesting to know that you could launch pretty hard and it won't come up on you.
Not a "launch control", but could help you crank it pretty hard off the line if you felt the need I guess.
It doesn't really make you faster I think - it seems to work by reducing throttle input so you don't put full power down. As you move to higher DWC and DTC levels the bike gets more and more lethargic.

My sweet spot in sport is DWC2 (last setting before the yellow 'offroad' indicator lights up). It does wheelie a bit if you go wot in 1st but not much. In all the other modes I use DWC3... keeps things locked down pretty well.

One experiment I've never done is dump clutch at wot... I've never tried to 'overpower' the wc... not sure if it's possible. Hard launch I have done and dwc seemed to handle it well - but I don't have the balls to just dump and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode