Anyone else have ZERO intention on ever taking your Multi on dirt? - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 2:49 pm
Nun

Garage
It may see a few unpaved stretches, but I wont be standing on the pegs, I wont be jumping it, I wont be hitting burms, I wont be leaving 2nd gear.

Just to get to a camp site.

Ride of your life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nun View Post
It may see a few unpaved stretches, but I wont be standing on the pegs, I wont be jumping it, I wont be hitting burms, I wont be leaving 2nd gear.

Just to get to a camp site.
Playing the devil's advocate for a minute... the folks who are pavement only are missing out on one of the cooler things about these bikes - think of it this way:

To get a rush on pavement, you need to either be busting through tight twisties or blasting along well into 3 digit "Go directly to jail do not pass go" territory. I get the same rush on dirt at legal (well... nearly legal) speeds. 65mph on a dirt road feels WAY faster than it does on pavement (and 90 feels ballistic.. and dumb... VERY dumb )... and the Multi is as composed on reasonably well maintained dirt roads as it is on pavement. Big ADV bikes in general are a LOT of fun on dirt roads. I'm not talking about singletrack or rutted muddy crap... but summer rides on graded dirt or packed stone are a ton of fun.

I'm a 90%/10% rider... and it's half the reason why I opted for a Multi instead of a super naked (the other half being touring). To be honest, if I'd never planned on taking the bike on dirt at all... I'd probably be on a Tuono or S1000R (both pretty fantastic pavement pounders).
PhilBoncer likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

Last edited by DaveK; Jan 11th, 2017 at 4:30 pm.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 8:46 am

Not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhilBoncer likes this.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2017, 2:21 pm

IF I had a Multistrada (I don't) the answer would be NO. ZERO dirt/gravel ever!

How else can I justify having another bike just for dirt/gravel to my wife?

I group the bikes I "need" into categories: Freeway, around town, twisties, track, gravel/dirt, trails, motocross track, etc. No bike can overlap categories.
I'm currently shopping for an "around town during inclement weather" bike. I'm thinking a Suzuki DRZ-400sm with good wet weather tires.
mlukason likes this.

95 900SS/SP #210
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 3:44 am

Yes

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
I group the bikes I "need" into categories: Freeway, around town, twisties, track, gravel/dirt, trails, motocross track, etc. No bike can overlap categories.
Yep pretty much agreed. I always found the 4 bikes in one marketing angle of the multi to be somewhat ridiculous. Because you can have all the electronic gizmos you want, but if the ergos and weight don't change, well...........

14 Multi S Touring, 06 Monster S2R1000, 15 Yama FJR1300 06 Suzuki DRZ400 (fs)
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2017, 10:41 am

Garage
There is no "perfect multi-role" bike... every time you tweak a design to broaden its applicability you compromise on 'ultimate performance' somewhere.

However - that doesn't mean that multi-role is stupid. Most buyers happily trade some 'ultimate track performance' for 'day to day livability' for instance.

So the '4 bikes in one' thing is really just saying "we've designed a bike that we believe has some competency in these 4 areas". Yes it's a marketing gimmick... but it's also useful information. To the buyer they're saying "if these things are important to you - performance, touring capability, urban livability, offroad capability - then our bike might be for you.

Personally, after living with the multi for 2 years I think they hit a home run on the performance and touring levels, a solid double on 'dirt competence', and maybe a single on 'urban livability' (bike runs too hot imo for urban use).

It's not a Panigale, Gold Wing, FC450, and Suzuki Burgman all rolled into one because yea that's impossible - but IMO the design has a mix of compromises that fits my needs almost perfectly, so the overall package IS a home run for me.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2017, 11:09 pm

I've owned my Multi for a little more than 2 years now and put 11,000 miles on it (I know, it's not much) and I've never taken it off-road. Never had any intention of doing so when I bought it either. Honestly, it is so good on the road and that's the reason I bought it. I even put sport rubber on it because I knew I probably would never take it off-road.

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO (sold)
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:09 am

If you tour and don't ride dirt, then do you really tour?

It's not kryptonite, sheesh.
Bobcat Sig likes this.

When in doubt, lean more...
02 SS750 Lovely first bike Red (sold)
02 St4s Rip 11/18/11 -- running now Matte Grey (sold)
03 St4s Restored from salvage Senna (sold)
10 Multi S 3yr and 55k mi Black
12 RSV4 F 15k mi
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:54 am

Ive been taking this on my favourite back road loop, 30K gravel 180K windy tarseal, i normally take the multi, but this has been fun, but its been getting me into a bit of trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1924.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	637.9 KB
ID:	783554  

multistrada 1200.. 2010... Black with full system...2014 KTM 1290. full system and mapping....2005 KTM 640...Titanium full system..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode