Anyone else have ZERO intention on ever taking your Multi on dirt? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfire View Post
The scorpion II has fantastic grip never felt any issues with them I even needed to remove the central stand but when the bike needed new rear tire I decided to put something pure sport and the vibrations from the front tire were noticeable reduced. Btw saved 1.94kg (42pounds)
I wonder if the STII front wasn't balanced? I was pretty happy with the Scorpion 2's but switched to AGT's and have stuck with them (bit better longevity and equivalent performance)

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 4:45 pm
North Carolina, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
I don't see the point, unless you need a tall bike because you're a tall person.
Being a short person, I would not buy an adventure-style bike unless I was really going to make use of that capacity.
If I was considering a MS, but had "ZERO intention on ever taking my Multi on dirt", I'd just wait for the new SS.
Or get another Monster.

PhilB
I'm not sure I see your point. Personally, I switched to the multistradas from one of Ducati's last gen of touring bikes, an ST3. The ST was horrible for me ergonimically for touring. Riding position too sporty, too long a reach for the bars. Very uncomfortable after 500 miles, even with aftermarket bars and risers. The air cooled multi turned out to be perfect for me for distances as far as riding position and creature comforts, and the w/c multis have given me that same all day comfort on steroids. The fact that these bikes are billed as 'adventure bikes' is a sign of the current trend in motorcycle design. It was clearly designed to be more street oriented, and does a fantastic job of this. No need to ever go off road, unless the owner wants to.

I suspect the SS is also well on the sporting side ergonimically, and in my book would not fill the same niche as the multi, especially as a touring mount.
jheurte likes this.

'12 Multi Touring these days
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycbr123 View Post
I'm not sure I see your point. Personally, I switched to the multistradas from one of Ducati's last gen of touring bikes, an ST3. The ST was horrible for me ergonimically for touring. Riding position too sporty, too long a reach for the bars. Very uncomfortable after 500 miles, even with aftermarket bars and risers. The air cooled multi turned out to be perfect for me for distances as far as riding position and creature comforts, and the w/c multis have given me that same all day comfort on steroids. The fact that these bikes are billed as 'adventure bikes' is a sign of the current trend in motorcycle design. It was clearly designed to be more street oriented, and does a fantastic job of this. No need to ever go off road, unless the owner wants to.

I suspect the SS is also well on the sporting side ergonimically, and in my book would not fill the same niche as the multi, especially as a touring mount.
Ergonomics. A bike being tall and roomy is not an advantage to me ergonomically. It also has some disadvantages with weight transfer, distribution, and dynamics. I'll post it again, with emphases.

"I don't see the point, unless you need a tall bike because you're a tall person.
Being a short person, I would not buy an adventure-style bike unless I was really going to make use of that capacity.
If I was considering a MS, but had "ZERO intention on ever taking my Multi on dirt", I'd just wait for the new SS.
Or get another Monster."

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, 259K miles (so far)

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 6:18 pm
North Carolina, USA

Quote:
Ergonomics. A bike being tall and roomy is not an advantage to me ergonomically. It also has some disadvantages with weight transfer, distribution, and dynamics. I'll post it again, with emphases.

"I don't see the point, unless you need a tall bike because you're a tall person.
Or get another Monster."

PhilB
My mistake. I thought you were making your point applicable to short people in general. I'm 5'8" on a good day, and obviously my perspective on the multi as an acceptable road only bike for shorter folks differs a bit.

'12 Multi Touring these days
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Curious what your thoughts are when comparing the monster s to the multi? Were there any shortcomings of the monster that you didn't realize until owning it? This comes more out of curiosity than anything else.
My Monster 1200s was a great bike. Really had no complaints. I would have had no problem getting another.
After having a MTS as a loaner for a bit, I just felt more comfortable on it and it pretty much has all the performance that my Monster did.
Plus, my wife feels much more comfortable on the Multi.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Quote:
I don't see the point, unless you need a tall bike because you're a tall person.
Or get another Monster.

PhilB
I'm 5'10", but with a 29" inseam. I wanted an upright ergos sportbike. Upright, not kind of upright. I'm partial to Duc, so a multi was the obvious choice. Yes, lower would be a plus for me, but other than how goofy I look getting on the thing, I got used to it and it's no issue. Certainly not pushing on the street to the point where those factors are in play.

14 Multi S Touring, 06 Monster S2R1000, 15 Yama FJR1300 06 Suzuki DRZ400 (fs)
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2017, 7:14 pm

My 4+ yr old MTS has 60,000+ miles on her & exactly 96 miles on 'dirt/gravel' roads. Actually, 'road'. Ya wonder how I know the exact mileage? Because the good friend I visit every year, in NE Oregon, lives 12 miles down a gravel road.....one way! I've visited him 4 times, therefore 4 x 24 = 96 miles. NO 500+ lbs bike is good 'off road'. As far as 'up right sport bike'....my superbike friends, with everything from 675R's to RSV4 to MV's, ain't any faster on Hwy 36 then my sexy MTS. AND two of these guys I've done track days with.....we all run 2:05's at Thunder Hill (on our track bikes.....the MTS has serious ground clearance issues!).

Its the BEST bike I've ever ridden!
kdehkordi likes this.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 12:16 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I wonder if the STII front wasn't balanced? I was pretty happy with the Scorpion 2's but switched to AGT's and have stuck with them (bit better longevity and equivalent performance)

It could be.. I always felt vibrations from the front tire as is not smooth.. if we don't have plans to go off-road it doesn't make sense to keep trail tires. I am very happy with Dunlop as I am not doing big distances I gave all priority for good grip
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 7:33 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfire View Post
It could be.. I always felt vibrations from the front tire as is not smooth.. if we don't have plans to go off-road it doesn't make sense to keep trail tires. I am very happy with Dunlop as I am not doing big distances I gave all priority for good grip
When my Scorpions were heavily worn they developed a bit of an uneven feel... (nothing near as bad as Metzlers or Anakees, but a mild vibe), but for most of their life they were smooth.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 12:32 pm

I've taking my SFS on fireroads and gravel roads. Also grassy hills and such. Did about 30-50 miles of it on a recent 2300 mile trip to Nova Scotia. Didn't know the trip I planned had unpaved stuff. I'm on Pirelli Diablos.

I have no dirt experience, and it was fine. Had a little fun hanging the rear out a little bit but nothing crazy. I was 1000+ miles from home after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode