Looking to Purchase a 2017 Multistrada 1200s - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2016, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Looking to Purchase a 2017 Multistrada 1200s

Getting old I guess my 2012 1199 Panigale was a blast but after 20mins on it I'm ready for a extended nap!

Looking to trade it in for a new 2017 Multi 1200s volcano grey!

I haven't ridden one. Closest thing I've ridden to it was a 1200gs about 15 years ago. I looked at all the you tube videos, read all about it, etc. I'm pumped to experience it. Be out of the wind for the most part, the power, the comfort, the handling are all things I'm looking forward to. I'm keeping my 848 Street fighter for booting around town but I wanted to give this bike a try.

No demos at my dealership unfortunately.

The BMW 1000xr disinterests me even know the reviews are better than the multi. I find it hideous looking and inline 4s are boring.

I love the look, the mapping, the character? Well, what can I say I'm addicted to that. What do you 2015-2016 owners think of yours? Any pending issues with these 1200s? Reliable? Start ok (even with those charcoal canisters attached)? any electrical issues, fuelling, etc??? Don't care about the pannier issues at this point. Might do full Termi right off the bat as well.

Appreciate anyword from you Multi folks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2016, 7:38 pm

I had a '15 1200gs. Always loved the MTS so this past summer took one for a ride and was blown away. A fantastic bike. I purchased a '16 MTS. Very comfortable, handling is superb, the dvt is evolution at its best. They broke an untamed mustang, still very capable of speeds and torque none of us should be experiencing on the roads, but also made it much more smooth and manageable. everyone has a right to their opinion and I'm sure some people like the untamedness of the previous multi Strada. But, this generation MTS is very hard to beat on the tarmac in terms of riding, wether it is short stints or touring. Good luck on your decision. I hope you find the right bike for you.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2016, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgig View Post
I had a '15 1200gs. Always loved the MTS so this past summer took one for a ride and was blown away. A fantastic bike. I purchased a '16 MTS. Very comfortable, handling is superb, the dvt is evolution at its best. They broke an untamed mustang, still very capable of speeds and torque none of us should be experiencing on the roads, but also made it much more smooth and manageable. everyone has a right to their opinion and I'm sure some people like the untamedness of the previous multi Strada. But, this generation MTS is very hard to beat on the tarmac in terms of riding, wether it is short stints or touring. Good luck on your decision. I hope you find the right bike for you.
Excellent, encouraging. 90% sure I'm gonna do it. Can't wait till spring!!

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2016, 11:03 pm

I don't have the new dvt, but a 2010 model I picked up 6 weeks ago for a good deal with only 9000 miles. It has 1100 now and is a great great bike. I like you love sport bikes (also getting old) and is why I looked at a Multistrada, I wanted the power. I replaced my GSXR 1000 with this and don't regret one bit as it also induced tiredness and sore legs/hip flexors after just a short ride. It was in the 80's here in St. Louis last Thursday so I took of work and rode for 3 1/2 hours of back roads and I could have kept going. Oh yeah I removed that ugly charcoal canister the day before this ride and it made no difference other than looking better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zixxer2Go likes this.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 1:00 am

Garage
Multistrada DVT is probably the best sport touring bike on the market.. I also came from super sport bikes and I can have a lot of fun with this bike curving Very aggressively (remove the central stand )
The different suspension modes allow you to enjoy thw bike in any situation plus the cruise control on highways it's a pleasure
I also never used the panniers
I have full system termignoni from the begin and never felt that the bike should have more power.. the front wheel is lifting all the time
Btw I would like to have both my bike and your bike in the same garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 5:30 am
Prolific Poster Award

Ahhhh Winterpeg Hows the Twisties out there? (non Existant?)
My last ride 3 days ago in warm 60's was still exhilarating, Thoughts of Yeah I could go on for hours.
It is a big bike all the way around seat height and Motor is PERFECT for me right amount to give thrills (STILL).

Nice the people from other frigid places are adding to the thread...

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Excellent thanks guys I'm more pumped for doing this. We got a little snow today for the first time this year. This thread will help getting through the winter.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTScott2 View Post
Ahhhh Winterpeg Hows the Twisties out there? (non Existant?)
My last ride 3 days ago in warm 60's was still exhilarating, Thoughts of Yeah I could go on for hours.
It is a big bike all the way around seat height and Motor is PERFECT for me right amount to give thrills (STILL).

Nice the people from other frigid places are adding to the thread...
actually today is the first day we had any snow at all. Bikes on the road last week here. That's part if the reason I want the multi is is I can get out of town to find those twisties.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:58 am

I'm in the growing older class like you, I'll be 60 very early next year.

As you can see from my signature, my bike choices are still very much sporting. My 1299S sees mostly track duty in the A group, (I'm still pretty fast for an old guy... ), but like you, I needed something a little more comfortable for long street rides.

I bought myself a Tuono V4 and absolutely love the bike, but although it's not a great bike for loading luggage on, it can be done.

I also had a Goldwing, and although that bike handles pretty well for its size, I wanted something that was lighter and sportier.

I sold the Goldwing and replaced it with the '15 Multistrada. I've been through most of the teething issues, all sorted reasonably quickly by my local dealer, who fortunately is only 15 miles away.

Between my three current (active) street bikes, my R1 and Cb400F are moth balled at the moment, if I had to reduce my bikes down to just one, the Multistrada would be the one left in the garage.

The Multistrada just does everything well, it's comfortable, the 'S' suspension is sublime, it handles extremely well for a sports tourer. Then engine is strong, mine dyno'd at 144rwhp after the 11/15 map update with the stock exhaust.

I did test ride a '15 with the full Termi, the one I rode actually made less rwhp than mine and I didn't like the sound and the extra volume. I was hoping the exhaust note would be more like the tone of my 1098 with full Termi, but the one I rode sounded more like a Honda Civic with a Fart can. So I saved $2600 there, the only benefit, from my perspective, would have been the 15lbs weight savings.

My bike will never go off road, so I don't have any use for the Enduro settings and I use my right wrist to control the motor, so the dumped down Urban mode is redundant.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, I look at all the new bikes coming out and I can't see any offerings that would make me part with the Multistrada, the KTM 1290GT is tempting, but for my purposes, arrived 15 months too late.
Zixxer2Go likes this.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 9:08 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLD MEMBER View Post
Getting old I guess my 2012 1199 Panigale was a blast but after 20mins on it I'm ready for a extended nap!

Looking to trade it in for a new 2017 Multi 1200s volcano grey!

I haven't ridden one. Closest thing I've ridden to it was a 1200gs about 15 years ago. I looked at all the you tube videos, read all about it, etc. I'm pumped to experience it. Be out of the wind for the most part, the power, the comfort, the handling are all things I'm looking forward to. I'm keeping my 848 Street fighter for booting around town but I wanted to give this bike a try.

No demos at my dealership unfortunately.

The BMW 1000xr disinterests me even know the reviews are better than the multi. I find it hideous looking and inline 4s are boring.

I love the look, the mapping, the character? Well, what can I say I'm addicted to that. What do you 2015-2016 owners think of yours? Any pending issues with these 1200s? Reliable? Start ok (even with those charcoal canisters attached)? any electrical issues, fuelling, etc??? Don't care about the pannier issues at this point. Might do full Termi right off the bat as well.

Appreciate anyword from you Multi folks!!!
The GS is a great bike but a different beast than the Multi. Down low in the RPM range the GS is smoother but they both feel very similar power wise and their dyno charts do tend to map on top of each other to a point. The big power difference comes at the top end... with 25,000 miles on a DVT Multi, I was used to a specific acceleration profile and what happened with the GS was right when my brain was expecting the bike to take off like a raped ape (that's a technical term), the GS hit the rev limiter (which I bounced off of a LOT during the first days ride with it).

From a Pani I'm guessing the Multi will feel like it's "In the middle" between it and the GS. The Multi isn't as comfortable as the GS (but a lot more comfortable than the Pani), It's not as powerful top end as the Panigale, but I'd bet it feels closer to that than to the tractor like GS power delivery.

IMO the XR wouldn't be on my list to replace the Multi at all... I'd be looking at the KTM or Aprilia super naked's... both offering a more comfortable ride than the Pani but near superbike power.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode