16 Pikes Peak / Ohlins or 15 1200 S / Skyhook - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2016, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Garage
16 Pikes Peak / Ohlins or 15 1200 S / Skyhook

Hi - Please help. I am either going to buy a 2016 PP with the Ohlins and no Skyhook or a 2015 1200 S for about 3500 less

I am 55 and like a lot of guys dream of crossing Mongolia and other remote adventures but I will probably use it mostly for riding the mountains here in Colorado. My girlfriend has no interest in touring on a bike so those are factors - I am 5'9, 160 and the ergonomics of the DVT's fit me perfectly so earlier models are out. I also have a 09 r1200gs and and 12 Tiger 800 road - neither provide the necessary thrill although both bikes are superb.

The dealer is great and they advised the PP, but the guys I talked to are professional/amateur racers.

PP benefits - Ohlins, Term Exhaust, Paint Job/looks, simple and great suspension = less electronics to fail and hassle with. I suspect if I was a racer this would be an easy decision

1200 S - Benefits - less money, Skyhook

Those that have ridden them please weigh in, I have some concerns over all the skyhook electronics and have ridden the 15 MTS 1200 which I loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2016, 10:27 am

Having traded the 2015 in for a Pikes Peak, I can tell you that the Skyhook is relatively useless, and I miss nothing about it.
johnrg and jduke like this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2016, 1:18 pm

less electronics any day, especially when it comes to suspension! I have a '10 with non-ohlins but modified suspension and absolutely love it, especially compared to my buddy's electronic Ohlins . . .

2016 Pikes Peak

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2016, 2:22 pm

1200 s.

2016 Multistrada S
2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Thumbs up

To suggest that skyhook is relatively useless is strange. It's obviously from each of our experiences to give our opinion, mine...

Skyhook, absolutely superb, just needed a little extra preload on the front and it's like a magic carpet.

Many comments from riders behind me that whilst they're bouncing up and down I look comfortable and unshaken. And guess what, they're right.

I've owned dozens of bikes over 40+ years of riding serious miles, I've raced, scrambled, toured, completed the TT and even drag raced ..... skyhook gets my approval.

But all opinions are never going to be the same.

Your only here once
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 6:30 am

I made the trade from a '15 S to the '16 PP. I liked my S and enjoyed being able to easily tweak the suspension. But, I could never get it right. It was happy in touring mode - magic carpet. However, sport settings, regardless of the combinations tried, never felt planted.

I was overly concerned with giving up the comfort of Skyhook by going to the PP. A short test ride on the PP dispensed with that concern immediately.
I think they absolutely nailed it with the PP suspension. It required several turns to front preload to get it to behave just like the Skyhook did, but all other settings were pretty close to ideal.

Fwiw, I'm about the same age as the original poster. A tiny bit about my experiences: I've been playing with Ducs for about 25 years. I was in the bike biz for about 20 years - I brought Ducati to our town. I've ridden just about everything and I felt the 15 was the best all around bike I'd ever been on - there was just one niggle - it didn't care for being ridden hard. The PP is better, better than me, and it's as comfortable as can be.

Just one guy's input, fwiw.

Last edited by toomuchnotenough; Sep 7th, 2016 at 6:42 am.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 8:28 am
Sco

PP with Ohlins all day long .

2011 Multi S - Laser cut Filmguard , Evotech rad guard , Ohlins Mechtronic ECU
Tuneboy-Tune Edit,CC,QS, Leo Vince decat, MWR performance air filter
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
PP with Ohlins all day long.
+1. There's a reason Ducati went back to Ohlins.

2012 Arctic White 1200S Touring Model
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelboss View Post
To suggest that skyhook is relatively useless is strange. It's obviously from each of our experiences to give our opinion, mine...

Skyhook, absolutely superb, just needed a little extra preload on the front and it's like a magic carpet.

Many comments from riders behind me that whilst they're bouncing up and down I look comfortable and unshaken. And guess what, they're right.
Agree with this. Ohlins suspension is awesome! But at the end of the day, you're limited to a single setup/configuration. If all the roads you ride are identical this works well. If you ride roads of varying quality then at some point you have to start compromising on the setup: the suspension is a little too soft for really smooth roads (or tracks), or it's too harsh over bumpy roads (or trails), etc. With Skyhook, you don't have to compromise: you have four different suspension setups, which you can switch between effortlessly, so there's always one that's perfect for the road you're riding right now. I thought Skyhook might end up being a gimmick when I bought the bike, but on most rides I end up using 3 of the 4 modes. Touring mode gets used most of the time, but there are a few racetrack-smooth roads where Sport works like a charm and some bumpy, torn-up backroads where the plushness of Urban mode fits the bill.

If you're planning to race, then by all means go for the Ohlins-equipped Pikes Peak. In the real world? I think you'd be crazy not to go with Skyhook Evo suspension...
oalvarez likes this.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:33 am

Garage
My opinion - if it was a semi-active Ohlins PP I'd say it's no contest... but a one setup manual suspension (even an excellent one which Ohlins is) is no competition to a good electronic suspension for a bike that needs to do all the things my bike needs to do - and the Skyhook IS a good to very good suspension.

It took a while to get the various modes set up the way I liked them, but now I generally am changing modes frequently... almost on a daily basis... depending on where and how I'm riding (and with how much stuff).
oalvarez, Bobcat Sig and Corsa9 like this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode