**New Owner Thread...Liquid Cooled MTS ENDURO...Discuss and Show Us Yours** - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 137 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2016, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Overland Expo West

Attended the Expo in AZ and started to familiarize myself with the new bike.

Road: The ride out to AZ from SoCal took 8 hours. I40 had high wind warnings and the amount of trucks on the road made it a back and forth battle as I rode into the wind and away from trucks as I passed. I was able to maintain highway speeds over 80 mph with control and comfort, even on the knobblies that Anakee designed. (They say they are a 50/50 tyre, and I agree)
The bike handled the wind well with the larger front beak and touring windscreen, but the Touratech bags catch a lot of wind and push you around a bit more than previous aerodynamic bags on my Pikes Peak. (More storage is nice though) Harley seem to handle the wind better with their 400lb advantage.

Dirt: I practiced some basics in the corral they set up at Overland and went on some trails that were rated a 5 out of 10, just to feel it out. In maneuverability around the corral and practicing throttle control, the bike feels lighter than you might expect and moves over obstacles easily. I was able to power slide around and roll over small obstacles with ease. Lofting was a bit different as the wheelie control settings are tricky and power band is much higher than the GS, or what I am used to. I think I need more practice to get the front end up consistently.
On the trail: The Anakee Wilds held the terrain very well, (I had the Trail II's on just before this and they slide around a lot more) and I felt well connected to loose ground that gave me confidence over water and rocks. I could have gone on more aggressive trails with this set up quite easily.
Overall: Touring on this bike is great. The oem seat was comfortable, (no Airhawk needed) the controls easy to use, and the fatigue factor is lower because of the larger front end and touring windscreen. The cornering headlight (new to me) was nice, but the main headlights do lack the depth needed in dark roads. I will add ClearWater lights for more depth.
I think this bike will be far better in many aspects than other adventure bikes as you get a well rounded experience on and off the road. e.g. The touring aspect of the Duc delivers a higher performance oriented ride and as for the dirt, offers more than thought possible. (Higher speeds, better cornering ='s more fun, IMHO)

That was a quick 1300 miles and a good start to understanding this bike. Sure a pro would have more to say with their experience, but I am glad this novice is able to enjoy the bike as it was designed and excited to develop the skills on a bike that offers more excitement than the other adventure bikes on the market today. IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 21, 15 45 30 (1).jpg
Views:	334
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	712449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oatman.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	712457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overland2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	712465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overland 3.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	712473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overland 4.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	712481  

Name:	Overland 1.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	712489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overland5.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	712497  

'12 Pikes Peak #195
'16 Multistrada Enduro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 137 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2016, 9:36 pm

It looks like the crash bars are quite low and that the handguards and upper fairing would hit first. Not suggesting that you try them out, but hard to tell from the pix. Great idea to hone your dirt chops on the new bike in a controlled setting.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
post #23 of 137 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2016, 11:03 am Thread Starter

I am not sure the pictures show the coverage of the 1" bars, but they are low and just outside the front beek. I think on some low side falls will hit the front. I am mounting clearwater lights just under the bars and they too will get hit in a fall. The bark busters will def get hit and the turn signals on top of the will break for sure. I usually turn in the mirrors on the dirt to avoid damage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1464364400027.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	713073  
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1464364430059.jpg (743.1 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg image_1464364469952.jpg (746.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg image_1464364506955.jpg (644.1 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg image_1464364648959.jpg (810.1 KB, 210 views)

post #24 of 137 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2016, 11:43 am

Garage
I'm still on the fence between the S and the Enduro. (6'3" 225lbs) I've been procrastinating for a year looking at a new bike. Always liked the GS, ridden it but never owned one. Love the 1000XR but hate the vibes at 130/140kmhr. I have concluded it is going to be a Ducati S or Enduro. Riding for 20 plus years I'm still no pro carver but would use the bike daily rain or shine, communting and touring.

I hope to do a few 2000/3000km 2-4 days trips each year minimum. I've ridden the S and Enduro back to back and back again. The issue was the Enduro I rode had the knobbys with less then 10km on them and I wasn't confidence on any sort of road turn in. I love the looks of both bikes. I love the aluminum panniers of the Enduro verse the cheap plastic of the S, and the overal sizing of the bike - weight aside. But the S is inspiring on the road - yet lacks the stability of the Enduro as speed on the highway. YET the Enduro is kind of scary on the road/city while corning? Is it just the knobbys that had me or is the bike that different then the S for the average rider on the street? I want to love the Enduro - but I'm not comfortable at even moderate speeds on the street with it??
post #25 of 137 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2016, 1:35 pm

riva996, Thanks for the pix! From the looks of it, the crash bars offer minimal protection. Some other aftermarket outfit will probably come up w/ an alternative design as time goes by. I also had a '12 PP but the main bearing on the stator side failed and grenaded the internals at 55K miles...loved that paint scheme the best of the 3 multis I've had, although the '14PP runs better than any of them. As soon as I get some time I'll go down and test the enduro as I'm hoping that it will be more comfortable for me at 6'2", plus I tend to stand up quite a bit just to give my legs and ass a break and the enduro might assist in that regard as well. Thanks again for the excellent pix...it answered my questions!

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Last edited by Motozen; May 29th, 2016 at 1:36 pm. Reason: clarity
post #26 of 137 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2016, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJhardcore View Post
......Is it just the knobbys that had me or is the bike that different then the S for the average rider on the street? I want to love the Enduro - but I'm not comfortable at even moderate speeds on the street with it??
I too find the knobbies a bit challenging, but the Wilds are solid in corners to 40degrees, so hanging off is required at higher speeds.
Touring on the Enduro is WAAAAY better than the S. Wind protection, cruise, heavier, smoother trans,='s better touring imho. We might have to get Aztec to make new spacers to push the wind up a bit more.
VJhardcore likes this.
post #27 of 137 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Garage
Thanks for the feed back..anyone else with thoughts.. The Wilds I take it are the standard street tires for the Enduro.
Again I did find the Enduro better at most things - except of course the corning.
post #28 of 137 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2016, 9:54 pm

The knobbies are optional I believe.

2016 Multistrada S
2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
post #29 of 137 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2016, 8:08 am
Prolific Poster Award

It is an attention grabber for sure.

My thinking is loose the luggage and forget about crash bars ...
That is why insurance is bought???

I guessed that you was a tall people.

No excuses now!!
what's holding you back?

Enjoy I wanna see mud!

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #30 of 137 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2016, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

Oem tyres are Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's. The Anakee Wilds are not oem and just relased by Michelin. I have run both tyres on the street and dirt and the Wilds are better on dirt and good on the road under 90mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode