Best Rear Luggage Rack for DVT? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2016, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Best Rear Luggage Rack for DVT?

There are some threads on this, but I wanted to start a new one to get some opinions, pictures, pro/cons of all the rear luggage rack options for the 2015+DVT

In planning my trip to alaska Im realizing a rear rack could really come in handy to give me extra room for strapping down stuff such as camping gear or one of my kriega us soft bags, maybe the US 30. Also I need to carry some extra fuel. Id really like to maybe mount a rotopax fuel container on one of these? I never intend to mount a top case to one of these racks, only intend to use it for strapping stuff down and maybe mounting a rotopax container. I also plan on only having it on the bike for long trips.

So things Im considering are how easy the rack mounts on and off, how sturdy it is, how much weight does it hold, cost, construction, and is it somewhat aesthetically pleasing? Also, are there only 3 options out there for something like this for the dvt?

OPTION #1
Ducati performance luggage rack
Can get it for 270 dollars or so. Looks nice. Heard its hard to install. Says it can only hold 5kg/11lbs
https://amsducati.com/ducati-multist...r-luggage-rack

OPTION #2
SW Motech Alu-Rack
$330.00! Looks ok. Says it can hold 7.5kg/16.5lbs.
SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack to fit TraX, Givi & Other Topcases for Ducati Multistrada 1200 '15-'16 | TwistedThrottle.com

OPTION #3
Rack from dynamic motorcycle accessories
$145.00. Pretty good! looks...ehhh. not sure how much weight they say it can hold? other options/short version/ backrest if you want(not for me though).
Ducati Luggage Rack ? Dynamic Motorcycle Accessories

OPTION #4???
Am I missing another option for the DVT? Is AltRider going to come out with one for the new Multi? Anyone custom made one?

Lets hear your experiences with any of these racks, opinions, pictures, etc. Thanks guys!

Brandon, Southern California, 24, Drive tugboats for a living.
2015 Multistrada 1200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2016, 8:20 am

Altrider is another option. Their rack is available with attachment hardware for the rotopax. I do not own this rack but have been impressed with Altrider quality and service in the past. Their rack has been available for some time.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2016, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Tippett View Post
Altrider is another option. Their rack is available with attachment hardware for the rotopax. I do not own this rack but have been impressed with Altrider quality and service in the past. Their rack has been available for some time.
The AltRider luggage rack isn't an option for DVT owners, as far as I can tell...

I bought the SW-Motech rack so I could mount a Givi top case that I already owned. If you're planning to mount a top case, the SW-Motech has adapter plates that will allow you to mount just about anything. That's it's only real advantage over any other rack. The big disadvantage, of course, is the price. SW-Motech stuff is generally pricey and the rack for the Multistrada is particularly ridiculous! $330 for the rack, plus another $40 for the Givi adapter plate? The Motech rack for my old FZ-1 had far more parts and was half the cost! That's a serious "Ducati tax" right there! Luckily, I was able to reuse the Givi adapter from my FZ-1.

In any event, the rack is solid and mounts easily. They say it holds 16.5 pounds, but I leaned pretty much all of my 180-pound weight on it after the install and it didn't move or deform. I wouldn't suggest you use it to carry load of bricks, but I personally wouldn't worry if I was a few pounds over the weight limit. If you're planning to mount a top case, I think the Motech rack mounts slightly further forward than the Ducati Performance or Givi racks which could be an issue if you plan to ride with a passenger. Here's a picture of mine along with my old Givi 52-liter top case:

CaptainBeard714 likes this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Fubar is correct at least as far as Altrider's website goes. I contacted Altrider last fall and was told that they would have a rack for the 2015-16 shortly. So fi you are interested give them a call.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2016, 5:28 am Thread Starter

Yah there is definitely no altrider rack for the DVT yet. I really like there stuff though and it seems great quality. Im also considering the Alt Rider crash bars right now before my trip to Alaska. I like that their rear rack for the older multis has the mounting holes already there for a rotopax mount.

I think Ive ruled out the ducati performace rack from the negatives ive heard about how it mounts.

Kind of leaning towards the sw motech rack from the positives ive heard hear and elsewhere searching. I really like the looks and design of that rack too and It looks possible to mount the rotopax mount to it. I just dont like the price tag for such a simple thing.

I really like the price tag from the bag fabrication rack from Dynamic. Seems of good quality too. Just personally not as much a fan of the looks and it looks like it may be difficult to mount a rotopax mount to it. I had some email conversations back and forth with Kerry from Dynamic motorcycle accessories about their racks and he sent me some great pics and info and a youtube link. Something is still pushing me towards the motech rack though. Not sure why. Here is another forum link with some good info on that rack too.

1200 DVT - Sw-motech Rear Rack Fitted - Pics | Ducati Forum

2015 Multistrada 1200s
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2016, 8:12 am

FYI, you don't need to carry extra fuel to Alaska unless you're planning to head up to the Arctic Circle. Stop when you see a gas station and you'll be fine.
It never hurts to be prepared, but you won't need it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2016, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shil View Post
FYI, you don't need to carry extra fuel to Alaska unless you're planning to head up to the Arctic Circle. Stop when you see a gas station and you'll be fine.
It never hurts to be prepared, but you won't need it.
Thanks for the tip. I've actually been told this from multiple people as well. I still am wanting to bring some extra fuel for piece of mind. And no matter what I'd like to have a rear rack for strapping more stuff down. Now I kind of want alt rider crash bars too though

2015 Multistrada 1200s
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Garage
I went with Option #3 and it's been great so far!

2015 MTS 1200S-Touring
2014 HyperStrada
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2016, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBeard714 View Post
Something is still pushing me towards the motech rack though. Not sure why.
If you just need to strap some extra stuff to your Multistrada, you should buy the Dynamic rack. The only reason to spend the money for the SW-Motech rack is because it can be used to mount just about any topcase. If you're planning to use a Givi or Ducati topcase in the future, you don't need the SW-Motech rack. The only reason I went with SW-Motech is because I was thinking about using a Pelican case. I wouldn't buy the SW-Motech rack again, unless I was able to find it for a more reasonable price...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2016, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybrother View Post
I went with Option #3 and it's been great so far!
Thanks for the much better pictures! Helps with my decision. I do really like the customer service and emails I received from dynamic and the fact that they are a smaller company and the price is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
If you just need to strap some extra stuff to your Multistrada, you should buy the Dynamic rack. The only reason to spend the money for the SW-Motech rack is because it can be used to mount just about any topcase. If you're planning to use a Givi or Ducati topcase in the future, you don't need the SW-Motech rack. The only reason I went with SW-Motech is because I was thinking about using a Pelican case. I wouldn't buy the SW-Motech rack again, unless I was able to find it for a more reasonable price...
Is the only thing you dont like about the sw-motech the price? I hear what your saying, but Im still leaning towards that one. Im never planning on a top case, but I like the looks of that rack better versus the dynamic one. It looks more sleeker and matches the bike better, however the one from dynamic may have more usable space. I like the 4 "hooks" on the motech one too for a solid spot to attach straps and stuff.

The main reason Im leaning towards the motech is I want to mount a rotopax, and it looks like it would be more easily doable on that rack, where as right in the middle of the dynamic rack is a bunch of empty space and thin honeycomb sort of, I dont see a very sold way to mount the rotopax mount in the center.

On another note, I just talked to alt rider. Went ahead and ordered a set of black crash bars from them after comparing to the ducati and motech crash bars haha. I asked them about a rack for the DVT coming out, and she said not to expect one anytime soon as they are busy with parts for new more popular ADV bikes and the honda africa twin.

2015 Multistrada 1200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode