Best Rear Luggage Rack for DVT? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2016, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBeard714 View Post
Is the only thing you dont like about the sw-motech the price? I hear what your saying, but Im still leaning towards that one. Im never planning on a top case, but I like the looks of that rack better versus the dynamic one. It looks more sleeker and matches the bike better, however the one from dynamic may have more usable space. I like the 4 "hooks" on the motech one too for a solid spot to attach straps and stuff.

The main reason Im leaning towards the motech is I want to mount a rotopax, and it looks like it would be more easily doable on that rack, where as right in the middle of the dynamic rack is a bunch of empty space and thin honeycomb sort of, I dont see a very sold way to mount the rotopax mount in the center.
I think that all of these racks are ugly. The SW-Motech rack is just as bad as any of them.

Attaching a Roto Pax mount to the SW-Motech rack may be difficult. The rack has a large number of holes, including a huge T-shaped hole and several round holes right were you'd most want to put the Roto Pax mount. I'm sure you could figure something out, but I'd allow some extra time for installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2016, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
I think that all of these racks are ugly. The SW-Motech rack is just as bad as any of them.

Attaching a Roto Pax mount to the SW-Motech rack may be difficult. The rack has a large number of holes, including a huge T-shaped hole and several round holes right were you'd most want to put the Roto Pax mount. I'm sure you could figure something out, but I'd allow some extra time for installation.
Hahaha. I just ordered the motech rack. My thoughts, the Ducati one doesn't install well it seems I've heard and can be flimsy, and looks like it would be hard to bolt stuff up to with its double layers. The dynamic rack doesn't look as good to me and would be even more difficult to mount a rotopax to, if you look at it. Only way would be to maybe make up a clamped together piece on the top and bottom and mount to that.

The motech looks the best to me at least, looks like sharp lines and solid construction, kind of stealthy looking. And definitely won't be hard to mount a rotopax to. Yah it has that big hole but the rotopax mount will probably go over it all by itself. Or I'll just drill the four holes and the universal square mount should bolt right up to the rack and cover the big hole in the middle.

Not sure if you saw these pics but maybe they will change your mind on the motech...
1200 DVT - Sw-motech Rear Rack Fitted - Pics | Ducati Forum

Still a bummer alt rider isn't choosing to come out with one right now. Seems like it would be fairly easy for them.

Brandon, Southern California, 24, Drive tugboats for a living.
2015 Multistrada 1200s
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2016, 1:09 am

Quote:
Not sure if you saw these pics but maybe they will change your mind on the motech...
I've had the SW-Motech rack bolted to my Multistrada for the last three months. I'm pretty sure I know what it looks like by now...
CaptainBeard714 likes this.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2016, 1:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
I've had the SW-Motech rack bolted to my Multistrada for the last three months. I'm pretty sure I know what it looks like by now...
Roger that hahahaha. You're not happy with the looks of it? Is it that bad to you?

And my bad I forgot you already posted you have it with the case hahaha. Didn't look. On my phone

Brandon, Southern California, 24, Drive tugboats for a living.
2015 Multistrada 1200s
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2016, 10:58 am

Quote:
Roger that hahahaha. You're not happy with the looks of it? Is it that bad to you?
I wouldn't say it's ugly, but it certainly doesn't enhance the look of the bike. The fact that Motech has cut holes everywhere makes the rack far less useful than it could be. The AltRider rack is really the gold standard here: it has plenty of slots for hooks around the edges, their Givi mounting kit is inexpensive, and the center of the rack is solid so it's possible to mount accessories that require drilling through a flat surface. It's too bad they won't be producing a version for the DVT Multis...
CaptainBeard714 likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 1:08 pm

just a fyi, all Dynamics racks for the MTS 1200 DVT will have mounting holes for Rotopax cans in the next few weeks
johnrg and Snowshoe like this.

2006 620 Multistrada Red----2007 1098 Red
http://www.dynamicmotorcycleaccessories.com/
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2016, 12:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
just a fyi, all Dynamics racks for the MTS 1200 DVT will have mounting holes for Rotopax cans in the next few weeks
Any update? Did not see it on the website?

Present 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s | 2000 Ducati MH900e **Past Sins 2007 MG Griso|2004 Aprilia Tuono|2003 Ducati 748|2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon|1996 Ducati 750 Monster
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2016, 6:37 pm

I have been waiting a long time for an Altrider luggage rack for the DVT. Altrider gear is hi quality, and all of my previous purchases from them came with excellent instructions.

I lost patience with Altrider, but did not want the large, wide rack that Ducati sells. I saw a GIVI E 251 Universal Monokey Top Case Rack mounted on a BMW GS and it looked compact and solid.

So last week I took a chance and purchase the GIVI kit, on sale for $60, to hold an older 40L GIVI topcase I have for my Triumph.

Surprisingly, the GIVI rack came with all of the hardware needed to fit on the DVT: I did need to place some black gorilla tape on the bike rack top surfaces (where the GIVI rack fits) to protect the surface from any rubbing. And it took about 1.5 hours to set up the most secure mounting location and button up the installation. It securely holds the old GIVI monokey case and it does not move around.

Overall, I like the look, the price, and the solid mounting. The only downside is that I mounted the rack as far forward as possible,, which did reduce the passenger seat space by about an inch.

I think the GIVI rack will work well until Altrider decides to produce a rack for the DVT Multistrada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	740418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1188.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	740426  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Quick question, can you mount the adapter and the top case closer in or even slightly over the rear seat. I never ride two up and would like the case no so cantilevered looking.

[/SIGPIC]
Michael
Greater Sacramento CA area
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2017, 7:57 pm

I'm using the Dynamic rack and it works really well. Some advantages:

Very easy installation and removal, so you can install it for for a trip and then remove it when you get home.

It's very light. The Ducati rack weighs a ton, which adds weight to your load. BTW, I ordered the Ducati rack first but couldn't figure out how to install it. When I felt how heavy it was I just returned it.

The Dynamic rack is Rotopax compatible (you have to order that version). We all know about range anxiety.

The Dynamic rack is relatively inexpensive. I think I paid about $150 for it, maybe less.

Dynamic sells a passenger backrest that bolts onto the rack. It costs about $160. That was a big plus for the wife.

I don't know about weight limitations but I've packed an extra large Enduristan bag on it filled with camping gear and didn't have any problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode