Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Tires?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  SDRider 
#1 ·
OK, so stock configuration is 190/55 on the rear and the front is same as any other sport bike. Who knows what configuration you can get away with without screwing up the traction control? Can I throw a 190/60 on the rear? a 200/50/60?

I ask because I'm told the Dunlop track tires I like to run no longer come in the 190/55.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

#2 ·
As far as I know ducatis don't have a calibration for different size tire. In my aprilia rsv4 I can throw a different tire size run a calibration and it will adjust algo for traction control. I haven't seen such menu on dvt multi.

I will stick with stock sizes and Pirelli family like metzeller given they are developed using those tires and have most data.

#3 ·
Jeeze eezz, the Multi's a touring bike, if you have to put race tires on it, then turn the TC off. Other wise just put some bloody good tires on it, if its road riding your doing. May i suggest M7RRs, if you want that extra grip over sports touring tires like, Angel GTs, or PR4s.

#4 ·
If you nail the throttle on a dirt road in second or third gear you can hear and feel the TC working. While this is happening the rear tire is spinning faster than the front tire by a significant amount; feels like more than 10% and perhaps as much as 30%. Try it for yourself, your guess is as good as mine. The point is that the TC is not activated by tiny differences in wheel speeds and I doubt that the tire size changes you are considering will matter. Disclaimer: I have no basis for my opinion except seat of the pants.
I also think that some software engineer somewhere knows what each different TC setting will allow in over speed of the rear wheel.

#5 ·
I have read somewhere that the multi recalibrates each time its started, thats why after the bike has moved for a few meters the TC reads each wheel rotation in comparison then the TC light turns off. "I could be wrong, i could be right" P.I.L, sorry couldn't help myself.

#8 ·
There's a discussion around here somewhere... the Duc recal's automagically... no need to set things in menus.

#7 ·
You will run out of clearance long before a full race tire will do you any good on this bike.

I've held an Expert license and on Q3's I can run competitive novice track times on my MTS. I had to add a TTX rear, adjustable pegs and pull the sidestand. Before I made those mods I drug the shifter hard enough it did a 180 on the pivot, and levered the rear off the ground, as well as grinding down my pegs and side stand severely. I also added M50's as the stock brakes were never up to track duty.

#10 ·
I'm on my second PP3 rear. Pretty happy with the Michelins and I plan on sticking with them. Not sure why you would want to change tire size just to stick with one particular brand. There are so many great alternatives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.