Multistrada 2015 and 2016 Owners - Feedback requested regarding major problems - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2016, 2:35 am Thread Starter

Multistrada 2015 and 2016 Owners - Feedback requested regarding major problems

This post is directed to all Multistrada 2015 & 2016 owners. May I please request some honest feedback?

Please be so kind as to share the following information:

A.) For those who are happy with your bikes and who are lucky enough to have not experienced major issues:
1.) Please indicate how long have you had your 2015/2016 Multi and how many Miles or Kilometres you have done?

B.) For those who experienced major mechanical or operational problems/issues with their bikes. Would you please be so kind as to share the following information:
(The problems/issues I am referring to does not include those caused by accident or negligence.)

1.) What happened?
2.) Mileage and age of bike?
3.) What was the root cause?
4.) How was the problem resolved?
5.) Are you satisfied that the problem is now completely resolved? If not, what is your concern?
6.) How long were you without the bike and did it take them to resolve the problem?
7.) Were you offered a loan bike by your dealer?
8.) Did the bike break down on you while riding or did the problem occur when you started the bike?
9.) Did the bike leave you stranded?

I have an issue with my wife's bike. It is in for major repair work and the bike is brand new. My 2015 Multi also has issues. It is not as serious as the other bike. I am however concerned about the build quality of these bikes. I have owned numerous bikes, I therefore have a realistic expectation and perfection is not what I am after. I hope and pray these things are just teething problems but I am not so sure. Common sense tells me that if a crank main bearing retaining spring clip dislodges and travels through the timing gears this cannot be good.
Another recent post I have seen, someone also mentions that the radiator hose failed and this may have caused the bike to overheat.
I cannot afford to spend months on end trying to sort problem after problem. There is also the risk of breakdown. In SA, unlike in other countries you can pay with your life if you breakdown in the wrong spot. My hope is that most of you Multi 2015/16 owners out there do not have major issues and that I can look forward to trouble free riding.
Oaths likes this.

Last edited by jmcc; Mar 6th, 2016 at 3:51 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2016, 7:07 am

A.) No big problem, small problems solved, April 2008, > 8.000 km.

Ducati ST4s (sold), Multistrada 1200s Touring (sold), Multistrada 1200s Pikes Peak (sold)
Multistrada 1200s Touring 2015
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2016, 7:12 am

2015s electronics

I have a 2015 S model- has about 14k on it. I haven't had any major problems but have had some potentially problematic electronic problems. When the bike had a couple thousand kilometers on it we were riding 2 up and had a cpu malfunction. I took off hard from a stop sign and the bike suddenly dropped all power, the dash lit up with warning lights, and the suspension went really soft causing the front end to drop suddenly. I pulled over and powered it on and off a few times which turned off some of the lights but still had an engine light and I think an abs light was still on. Decided to drive it home after checking what I could. It was running in a limp mode(low power and no cruise control). After about 1/2 hour I could hear the engine suddenly perk up again and the cruise started working - all was normal. The dealership did a cpu flash and I haven't had a second incident although every now and then the cruise will just quit working until I cycle the ignition.
Other than that the only problem I had repaired was a faulty fuel gauge. The dealership was very good but no loaner bike.

Still smiling after every ride

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2016, 8:13 am

Bought mine back in May of 2015, VIN #1000.

Having multiple bikes, I've only managed to rack up a little over 6000 miles.

I've had all the minor teething issues and recalls, fuel sender, side stand, map update, trip resets, etc...

I've had two other issues, I had a fork seal go on my right fork leg and in super heavy rain my throttle quit working. This one happened about 65 miles from home and I was only able to ride at about 35mph with no actual throttle control. The bikes rpm's would max out at about 3500 and so I crawled back home. A new throttle assembly was fitted, that took a week to arrive from Italy. When the original throttle dried out, it worked fine, but the dealership replaced it.

I've found the Ducati service and responsiveness to be excellent. I think a lot of this is down to the dealership working with Ducati.

I'm fortunate that my dealership is only 15 miles away, is a Ducati only shop and is ranked as one of the best in the USA.

I know they've gone out of their way to actually pick up customers bikes where necessary.

So far, I love riding this bike that I can deal with a bit of inconvenience. My bikes are used purely for fun, if I was commuting, my opinions may be slightly different if I was unable to get a loaner bike.
chouse34 likes this.

'15 Ducati Panigale 1299S, '15 White Ducati Multistrada S (Vin #1000), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, '08 KTM 300XCW, '07 Ducati 1098s, '98 Yamaha R1, '93 Bimota DB2, '76 Honda CB400F
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2016, 10:36 am

Garage
Almost 13,000 miles/20,000km since last May on my 15 S... no significant problems.
Jewcati likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 82 Maxim 550 (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2016, 10:59 am

Garage
2015 model 1200S Done 1300 kilometres ,As of now No problems But Unhappy with the bike ,Expected to be better than KTM1190 Adventure this Replaced ,Rather great disappointment on Engine & It's Powerdelivery ,

MTS1200S,2015,
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2016, 1:08 am Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! Please keep it coming.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2016, 11:04 am

Garage
I have had my Multi for about 10 months, have 5500 miles on it. Ducati replaced the side stand under a recall, did the ECU update for the fueling issue and the only problem i have had was that the fuel tank sensor failed at about 4500 miles - replaced under warranty. build and quality seems to be excellent.

Mason
2015 Multistrada S / 1997 CBRXX
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2016, 12:47 pm

2016 PP 637 miles not enough to make an educated reliability judgment. One cosmetic issue: the right carbon fiber piece on the nose did not fit right. Another when the dealer tried to remove the oil pan for 600 miles service, they had to drill one of the screws out, it was torqued too tight. Both issues were taking care of under warranty.

I had 2013 PP. I did not care for the skyhook suspension, had leaking forks twice and clonking noise. Power delivery much smoother on the 2016.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
This post is directed to all Multistrada 2015 & 2016 owners. May I please request some honest feedback?

Please be so kind as to share the following information:

A.) For those who are happy with your bikes and who are lucky enough to have not experienced major issues:
1.) Please indicate how long have you had your 2015/2016 Multi and how many Miles or Kilometres you have done?
2015 1200S Purchased in October. I have about 1200 Miles on it, so not a huge amount yet.
No Major issues.
The Bike it replaced was a 2004 Yamaha FZ1.

The Minor issues I had were all outlined in the forum here, and were easily remedied during the first service.
Mine needed the Side Stand replaced (Recall), Seat Replaced due to the staples issue, and had a bunch of the Firmware nits that needed to be updated (Trip ODO's resetting, bluetooth volume not adjustable on being paired, etc.) But I knew about these when i bought it and knew there were updates already available.

-----

If you want to talk to be about unreliable, ask me about my SV1K. 8000 miles, and every major engine issue known, and lost 2nd gear at one point.
If it wasn't so much fun when it is running... The new Yamaha Triples though might be a contender for a replacement though...

2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode