Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

suspension upgrade . . .non-Ohlins (base model MTS)

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  sixfive 
#1 ·
The stock suspension on my '10 MTS is incapable of carrying the load as I'm sure many others have experienced. My intention is to go the more economical route which means just replacing springs in the front & back (mine has the basic suspension, nothing electronic whatsoever). I was going to go with RaceTech unless there are other options I should consider?

#4 ·
wearing all my gear I weigh in at around 230lbs. Even without luggage the suspension is completely overworked and not capable of dealing with the demand. Then I add my luggage or an occasional passenger and then it is beyond anything workable! As soon as I know what kind of springs I add I'll post it but I'm not quite there yet. Need to replace chain/sprockets first which should happen tomorrow . . .

#5 ·
And what about preload regulation? I am too not teen, 95 kg without any piece of cloth :)
And sometimes my suspension closed, on the bad road. But I consciously set it in soft position. If I want, I can set it more hard just in few seconds.
What is real difference between hard springs and hard settings of the standard suspension?

#6 ·
The stock suspension on my '10 MTS is incapable of carrying the load as I'm sure many others have experienced...
I'm guessing that your rear shock spring is an 8.5kg/mm. I upgraded my rear spring from 8.5kg to 10kg and now everything's great. I frequently ride 2-up.

Reactions: jduke
#12 ·
I had the same problem with a new to me 2010 multistrada. I was worried about 2 up riding and looked into spring replacement. I found a new 2013 shock taken off for ohlins for 55$ with the progressive spring and higher rate. If that does not work out I will change out to a rebuilt shock and heavier spring.

#13 · (Edited)
Give me a week or two and I will tell you how the 2013 shock worked out. The spring on the 2013 is a progressive spring rated at 85 to 125(newtonmm). Right now it is only the rear. I have not bought springs for the front. If the 2013 shock doesn't work atleast I have a extra shock to send out for a rebuild.

#16 ·
Well after a few months of non riding weather in ohio I got to test out the 2013 base shock on the 2010.
I am very pleased with the progressive spring. Although it has made the ride a bit higher in the saddle.
It just feels better than the linear spring. I am interested how well it will handle the south eastern Ohio roads.
It came off easy and bolted back up just as quick. 55 bucks for a lightly used take off, it will work fine for my riding.
Yes I am sure the ohlins unit would be of higher quality and feel but at a 1300$ difference I will make due. >:)

#20 ·
I'm around 230 with riding gear so I'm pretty sure even with the updated shock featuring a progressive spring I would find the limit very quickly.
I just got back from a 500 mile day with my top case installed and the suspension worked flawlessly! And I still have quite a bit of adjustment left so I can take a passenger and still have a functioning rear shock . . . The re-valving/new spring did the job nicely!

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.