DVT Air box upgrade owner notification - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:16 am Thread Starter

DVT Air box upgrade owner notification

I learned an interesting piece of information yesterday about my 2015 MS DVT

I was at a Ducati Technical Seminar conducted by Ducati's US national service Manager (more on that below)

We were told there is a new air box design that will be on future MS production models. The new design allows cooler air to be brought into the air box which results in a HP gain. Thought to be around 3hp.
Ducati plans to issue a customer notification for owners with the older design and will be replacing at no cost. It was stated they plan is to issue the customer notification around summer (2016). Of course there was the usual comment about how committing anything around summer in Italy is always with a caveat.
You know; another 3hp is not going to send me jumping for joy, but with all the issues with this bike I am happy to see Ducati is standing behind the product and wanting to satisfy owners. Clearly this is not something they had to do. They could have made the design change and moved forward. Some would argue Ducati should stand by the hp claims on the marketing materials, by that is subjective data. I was one of the first owners and have seen most of the issues so I was please to Ducati going beyond just fixing.

On to the technical seminar. It was really well done. Hosted by the US National Manger so a very credible source of information. Richard went over all of the tech of the bike and took a lot of questions on the technical operations and known issues. Richard was very candid about the initial fuel mapping, it’s comparison to EU models, and some of the issues that resulted in MC magazine review. The Master Ducati mechanic at the dealership had a MS torn down to the bones with the DVT system placed out on a work bench so you could pick it up and do the jigsaw puzzle in your hands. Looking at the workshop manual is nice, but it doesn’t become clear to me until I get the bits and pieces in my hands. I thought this was a great thing for the dealership and Ducati USA to offer. Don’t get me wrong I am not the biggest Duc fan in the world. I have owned more that a few, but swore them off years ago. It took the new Multi to get me serious about ownership again. It has been a struggle with the issues, but Ducat’s efforts to make things right have been excellent.
Kitesurfer and lemansiii like this.

Present 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s | 2000 Ducati MH900e **Past Sins 2007 MG Griso|2004 Aprilia Tuono|2003 Ducati 748|2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon|1996 Ducati 750 Monster

Last edited by Snowshoe; Feb 21st, 2016 at 11:44 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2016, 1:01 pm

Thanks for the info. Follow up question; you say he was candid about the initial fuel map. Did he say if the current map is a end all, be all, or an initial patch, with better mapping down the road?

Scott
'15 Multi S touring, '12 BMW R1200 GS
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2016, 2:10 pm

Did anybody ask him about the Rexxer map?

Mike Santa Barbara, CA / Whidbey Island, WA
'15 MTS-S Touring, 99 Ducati 996, '07 BMW R1200S

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2016, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
T Did he say if the current map is a end all, be all, or an initial patch, with better mapping down the road?
Richard said there was a new software load for the bike as little as two weeks ago, but I didn't get if it was directly related to mapping or in general. His point was it is an evolving process and the benefit to this generation of motorbikes.
lemansiii likes this.

Present 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200s | 2000 Ducati MH900e **Past Sins 2007 MG Griso|2004 Aprilia Tuono|2003 Ducati 748|2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon|1996 Ducati 750 Monster
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2016, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelmike View Post
Did anybody ask him about the Rexxer map?
Not directly naming Rexxer, but other vendor solutions in general were asked. Richard's general attitude was that there are some smart people out there who can build some custom solutions, but it is tricky. Ducati will constantly be evolving their software so you may be chasing map after map. There was a group consensus that the "easier" days of an aftermarket pipe and an chip/ECU may be gone. I know he would be biased as they want to keep you in the dealer network. The question is how much effort vs gain do you want to go through, especially if it may not be a one time effort.
Speaking for myself I tend to agree, I don't want to spending time/money for the risk vs. reward. Race bike- yes, road bike - not so much. You can ride around minor things and just accept them. Now that the crevasse is (mostly) gone I find the bike very ride-able once you get through the myriad of settings and make it your own.
Hell - we just want smooth power through the entire power band with no dips. Is anybody really looking for an additional 5-8 more top end hp, really?

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2016, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
Hell - we just want smooth power through the entire power band with no dips. Is anybody really looking for an additional 5-8 more top end hp, really?
More top-end isn't really useful for the street, but getting rid of the 8-10lb-ft torque dip from 3500-5500rpm would be a very welcome improvement! The ECU update last year did almost nothing to fix this...
Ecoyne likes this.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
Word.

Why is Ducati concentrating their efforts of something that's relatively minor when the fuel sensors are basically still crapping out? What revision are we on now, the 4th or something like that? Not to mention the issues still plaguing the DVT. The company is going about things ass-backwards IMHO.

2013 Multistrada 1200 S Touring
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 11:50 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
Word.

Why is Ducati concentrating their efforts of something that's relatively minor when the fuel sensors are basically still crapping out? What revision are we on now, the 4th or something like that? Not to mention the issues still plaguing the DVT. The company is going about things ass-backwards IMHO.
By all accounts, the Rev D fuel level sensors are working well. They've fixed the main issues with the trip meter and 2nd gear hesitation. There is supposed to be some sort of replacement dash recall/TSB due to scratching, so they are making steps to fix the known issues.

You don't even own a DVT (per your signature), so why does it bother you?

2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineered2win View Post
You don't even own a DVT (per your signature), so why does it bother you?
And that concerns you how? I was addressing the company's overall record to addressing problems with the Multistrada, not just the DVT.

Pump your brakes partner.

2013 Multistrada 1200 S Touring
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
Word.

They did acknowledge the full sensors at this meeting as well.

They're very explicit about their contracts for suppliers, and in this case, the supplier had quality issues. According to the Service Manager, the contract states they have to work with them to remedy the situation. He also did state that each failure was a result of something new, not repetitive items that repeatedly failed.

Take it for what its worth. I also thought the presentation was well done.

2015 Ducati Multistrada S Touring + Sport + Healtech Quick Shifter
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode