Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Better seat for 2015 DVT?

49K views 158 replies 62 participants last post by  atgatt 
#1 ·
I'm about halfway through a cross-country ride and absolutely loving the bike. Of the three Mutistradas I've owned this is definitely my favorite. But man the stock seat sucks. as with the 2013 seat it's scooped out so that you can't move around and you're in a constant forward slide. Unfortunately, I don't see any of the usual suspects offering replacement seats for this model yet. I've got an AirHawk which helps for a while but then just creates its own problems.

Anyone know of any good fixes? I don't want the seat to get any wider.

#2 ·
If it's in the low position and can tolerate the higher seat setting it will help. Of course you will need the trim pieces to do such.

#7 ·
where did you manage to put the trims while traveling in switching seat height?

anyway, if you are back in baya rea I would recommend a trip up to Corbin where they can shape the seat on saturdays - they can reuse your stock pan and build a new seat that you can test ride/reshape/iterate and when right they will upholster it that day.. had it done on my 996, streetfighter and FJR

Reactions: complexCarlo
#8 ·
Thread resurrect to see if there are any after market seat options for the DVT at this point in time that offer maybe better padding with less forward slant. Granted, I have mine in the low position even though I'm 6'2" and it's all because of aesthetics-- I don't care a whole lot for the look of the spacer when it's in the high position.

#9 ·
Bonaventure,

I got the Ducati Comfort Seat and it's comfy! I feel like it's solved all the problems I was having. It doesn't slant forward, the seams aren't in the way and I can sit in it for much longer than I could the old one, without pain. It's actually made by Touratech and I was surprised that the price wasn't unreasonable. I'll be heading out on it cross country next month and am curious to see how it performs. But even on short rides –*3 to 4 hours –*I can feel a big difference over the stock.

Good luck!

#98 · (Edited)
I'm also having problems with the OEM seat, high or low position. Seems like the slope pushing me forwards is the problem. Also read that many users don't feel much improvement on de comfort seat. It's like €400,- here in. The Netherlands so I think that is pretty steep, but if it's a real improvement I will buy it. What's exactly better on the comfort seat?

#10 ·
I've been looking for something as well. So far, I've only done one long trip, about 1200 miles over a long weekend. It was painfully unpleasant. Really painful. Really unpleasant. Since then, I've purchased padded underwear and just ordered a seat cover from Alaska Leathers as an interim step until I can find a new seat. At 5'9", I haven't tried raising the seat and reluctant to do so but may give it a shot to see if it helps.

#11 ·
I guess I am the only one that doesn't mind the stock seat. My longest day in the saddle was about 850 kms (about 530 miles) and no issues with the stock seat. I followed that up with about 7 or 8 days of 400-600 kms days without issue.

However I really do get how a seat can work for one person and not for the next. I have gone through a bunch of after market seats with some success and some failure on a bunch of different bikes. My longest one day ride ever was on an 2004 RT with an Rick Mayer seat. I did over 1100 miles in about 20 hours as I circumnavigate lakes Ontario and Erie to earn an iron butt certificate. The stock seat would have had me in misery on that ride. Others have told me the stock seat on that bike was fine and they could ride all day. But not me.

#12 ·
Hello again all

I now have nearly 4K miles in the DP/Touratech touring seat, including two 670 mile days. It KILLED me to pay whatever UNHOLY amount of money I did for that seat, but it really is totally perfect.

My opinion: just bite the bullet and get the touring seat. Truly worth it.

Related question: anyone have the DP pillion touring seat? Wondering if it's as good as the operator's seat.

Zolo

#88 ·
I now have nearly 4K miles in the DP/Touratech touring seat, including two 670 mile days. It KILLED me to pay whatever UNHOLY amount of money I did for that seat, but it really is totally perfect.

Related question: anyone have the DP pillion touring seat? Wondering if it's as good as the operator's seat.
So you didn't buy the pillion seat? How does the rider's touring seat match the stock pillion seat? By that, I mean do the colors/styling/etc. match?

#13 ·
Hi Zolo, is the DP seat the same height as the stock seat? I use an airhawk on my bike partly for the comfort, and partly because it gives me just a bit more legroom by being a bit higher. I would like a seat that is a bit higher also.

#14 ·
I have no issues with the stock seat either in 14,000 miles with 2 1500+ mile trips (high position). I have a couple of comfortable positions that I can move to that let me move pressure points. However, I do understand the issue folks are talking about, (I remember riding a 1200gs that had my jewels screaming for relief in less than an hour), but the multistrada seat doesn't do that to me.

Having said that... I may get the DP seat anyway for my 12,000 mile ride next spring, there're "Long rides" and then there're "LONG rides"... what works for 4 days may not work for 6 weeks.

#15 ·
Can't find the Ducati Comfort Seat for DVT on the Ducati Accessories pages. It shows it for gen 2 2010-2014 but not for '15 and '16.

Last night I reluctantly installed the seat riser. Definitely not a fan of the look with the riser installed and it also causes a bigger gap between the front tip of the seat and the tank bumper, such that when standing by the bike you can see daylight through the other side.

#16 ·
Odd... it popped up in a couple places in the dp configurator on the ducati site.

#18 ·
So Sargent doesn't make one. DP is good. My experience w Corbin recently? I live close by and have always got custom fit seats from them.

My goal is to keep stock low position but want comfort and better seat shape.. My cousins GS Sargent seats are amazing..

#22 ·
The Touratech comfort seat uses the same Low/High bracket from the stock seat. You actually take the one off the stock and put it on the comfort seat for the 'high' position.

The positions are very similar, it's 'mostly' that the touratech seat is made of a different type of foam and different covering material. It is more comfortable (to me) after longer days riding.

--

I bought mine on Ebay from Ducati Salerno (A Dealer in italy) for $397.

#20 ·
My butt is unhappy

I picked up my new '16 1200S Touring two weeks ago and rode 1,000 miles in three days. But before noon on the first day I received the legal papers . . . . my ass was filing for divorce! Cripes that an uncomfortable seat.

My production date at Russell Day Long Saddles is July 15th. Damn if I know what I'll be doing in-between. Probably riding my GS or Ultra Limited (with quick jaunts on my Air Hawk equipped Multi).

By the way, both of my other bikes have Russells. They just work.

#21 ·
Mine starts to get a bit painful around 350 miles for me. $500 for a Ducati Comfort seat seems a bit steep especially as that's something that should have been standard on the bike.

On my Tuono, which has a slab of a seat, I got turned onto Base Garment Innovation - Moto-Skiveez riding under shorts. I now wear these on the MS when I know I've got a long day ahead of me.

The Adventure style are the best for the Multistrada or naked bikes seating position.

#27 ·
Corbin

I got the Corbin seat a few months ago. It's a single seat for both rider and passenger. I also got the heated option, and a backrest for the passenger that takes just a couple of minutes to add/remove. When the seat first arrived it was way too high for me. I'm about 5'8", and I'm guessing it was higher than the stock seat in the high position. I sent it back for them to reduce the height as much as possible and since then it's been great, although still a little higher than I would like. I haven't been on long trip with it yet, but from what I can tell with 3-5 hour rides, it's a lot more comfortable than the stock seat.

Attachments

#28 ·
LA-Stu, where did you get the quick connect backrest? Been wondering if there were any for the DVT. And do you have to have the Corbin seat for the backrest to fit?

I got the Corbin seat a few months ago. It's a single seat for both rider and passenger. I also got the heated option, and a backrest for the passenger that takes just a couple of minutes to add/remove. When the seat first arrived it was way too high for me. I'm about 5'8", and I'm guessing it was higher than the stock seat in the high position. I sent it back for them to reduce the height as much as possible and since then it's been great, although still a little higher than I would like. I haven't been on long trip with it yet, but from what I can tell with 3-5 hour rides, it's a lot more comfortable than the stock seat.

Reactions: Jewcati
#34 ·
Stopped into my dealer in yesterday for a new gas gauge and pannier arm fix under warranty. While I was there I took out a Diavel for a demo ride. What a great seat! No way to bring it across but clearly Ducati knows how to build a seat. Not to hijack this thread, but riding around got me more looks in one hour than in months on the MS. Oh, those wheels. Still I wouldn't trade for my Multi.

#45 ·
Wow that seat looks great... I've got my seat in the high position so I'd have to explore getting it at least to the same height (if not a half inch or more higher). I'm 5'10"/32" inseam and even at the high setting the stock seat feels a bit low (I can easily flat foot). I'd gotten used to my tiger (not quite flat foot, heels a half inch off the ground) and would prefer to get the additional leg room if possible.

#37 ·
Cheaper and better to have stock seat customized

I looked at and read endless opinions, experiences and ideas. Aftermarket seats are either very expensive or don't look right and then most you can't return if it doesn't fit any better.

I bought an extra stock seat for $50 off ebay. Went to the local Harley dealer and found a guy that custom fits seats. Gel, memory foam or whatever. It cost $150 for him to customize the seat to my needs.

$200 for a perfect fit and it looks stock. You buy a new cover with graphic and such also if you want it to look custom.

Anyway....my 2 cents. No change.

#40 ·
Longer legs

I have a production date of July 15 for a new Russell Day Long saddle but was thinking of getting a Corbin so I can ride my Multi to Laguna Seca for the WSB races in early July. Then, if I don't care for the Corbin I can sell it for a minimal loss and go ahead with the Russell.

My question is I ride with the seat in the high position using the inserts. How does the Corbin deal with the high/low question?

Any thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Thanks.

#41 ·
I have a production date of July 15 for a new Russell Day Long saddle but was thinking of getting a Corbin so I can ride my Multi to Laguna Seca for the WSB races in early July. Then, if I don't care for the Corbin I can sell it for a minimal loss and go ahead with the Russell.

My question is I ride with the seat in the high position using the inserts. How does the Corbin deal with the high/low question?

Any thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Thanks.
The Corbin seat isn't adjustable. I had my stock seat on the low setting, so I can't directly compare the Corbin to the high setting of the stock seat, but I'd guess that the Corbin is higher. I sent my Corbin back for them to reshape it and remove as much foam as possible, in order to make it lower. After that it's still significantly higher than the stock seat in the low position (I'd guess about an inch higher).

#50 ·
Suede? Looks very cool but I'm not sure I'd like a suede seat... I need to be able to easily slide around and it seems like suede would be 'stickier' than leather?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.