Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Pics before the Throttle recall

7K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  NickyBKK 
#1 ·
2014 model. I'm ordering the new part and installing myself, so I wanted to see the current condition of my throttle cables.

The return/close cable is starting to fray (pic 1). Pic 2 shows the housing. Left is the throttle Close half, and the right is the throttle Open half. Notice the "wear" mark in the upper portion of the throttle Close half.

Looks like I'll be adding a new cable set as well. Auto part Material property Automotive lighting Vehicle Suspension
Door handle Auto part Hardware accessory Handle

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
How many miles on your bike, please? My dealer gave me the new part (thankfully!), and I installed it at 1100 miles, so I had no cable issues. The change is a small area inside the housing (duh, of course!) with a redesigned cable guide. See the red circle in your pic.

Attachments

#11 ·
Agreed, and sorry that your local dealer isn't winning your business. The challenge with doing the recall yourself is that if anything were to go wrong, and I know that is a long shot in this situation, you let Ducati off the hook by doing the recall yourself. If they are going to give you free cables I would find a more competent dealer and have them perform it just to have recourse.

#9 ·
The air box needs to be removed to change throttle cables.

The TPS, where the throttle cables terminate, is under and connected to the air box.

Removing the air box is somewhat difficult.

I appreciate the heads up, but the Airbox mod was done a long time ago.

IMO, I don't think anything is difficult on this bike. Tedious? Yes, but it's just a motorcycle. Another machine.

#8 ·
Might as well do the air box mod if the air box comes off to change throttle cables.
It is much easier to cut the hole in the air box, and do a much better job with it removed.
If you do not have new throttle cables to replace and you are removing the air box, be careful for the mounted throttle cables as it is easy to damage them when pulling the air box off the motor.
I know all this because it happened to me.

#10 ·
I'm rolling with this fix:

I soldered the Close cable to fill in the area that showed separation.

On the closed "half" of the housing, I ground the area of wear down to allow more clearance.

On the open "half" of the housing, I opened up the cable guide slightly.

Then I put dry cable lube in both halves of the housing, and on both cables.

I then adjusted the slack out of the Closed cable. See the last pic. I took measurements before and after (mm).

Would anyone be willing to take a measurement of theirs and let me know what number you get?
Bicycle part Bicycle wheel Vehicle Rim Bicycle
Door handle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Metal
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Suspension Bumper

#18 ·
Permanent Backorder?

I had a bit of a frustrating experience yesterday at my dealer. I had scheduled a Saturday appointment for a few warranty items and to address the throttle cable housing recall. I live 130 miles from the dealer. When scheduling the appointment I made clear that my primary reason for the appointment was the throttle housing recall, and I had to ride 2+ hours each way to get there. So wanted to ensure I could have my issues resolved while waiting. And, everything seemed fine until they brought the bike back out. At that time, they told me the required parts were on "permanent backorder". As a result, there was nothing they could do. After expressing my frustration to the service writer about the fact that they didn't bother to mention this when I booked the appointment, a second service writer chimed in that there are 2 possible parts for my model. He said one part was available, and they could not know which part was applicable for my bike until they checked it. After more venting on my part about the risk of riding with a throttle with the potential to lock up, the Service Manager came over and told me the situation wasn't really dangerous. Apparently, I misread the recall letter from Ducati.

So, a little feedback please:

• Are there really 2 potential part numbers?
  • If there are 2 part numbers, is it true there is no way to know which one applies until actually inspecting the bike?
  • Am I overreacting to the this situation with the dealer? Is it unreasonable to have expected the service writer who took my call and scheduled my appointment to 1) have known there were 2 possible parts and that they may not be able to address the recall, and 2) if he knew, to give me a heads up in advance.

#19 ·
I had a bit of a frustrating experience yesterday at my dealer. I had scheduled a Saturday appointment for a few warranty items and to address the throttle cable housing recall. I live 130 miles from the dealer. When scheduling the appointment I made clear that my primary reason for the appointment was the throttle housing recall, and I had to ride 2+ hours each way to get there. So wanted to ensure I could have my issues resolved while waiting. And, everything seemed fine until they brought the bike back out. At that time, they told me the required parts were on "permanent backorder". As a result, there was nothing they could do. After expressing my frustration to the service writer about the fact that they didn't bother to mention this when I booked the appointment, a second service writer chimed in that there are 2 possible parts for my model. He said one part was available, and they could not know which part was applicable for my bike until they checked it. After more venting on my part about the risk of riding with a throttle with the potential to lock up, the Service Manager came over and told me the situation wasn't really dangerous. Apparently, I misread the recall letter from Ducati.

So, a little feedback please:

• Are there really 2 potential part numbers?
  • If there are 2 part numbers, is it true there is no way to know which one applies until actually inspecting the bike?
  • Am I overreacting to the this situation with the dealer? Is it unreasonable to have expected the service writer who took my call and scheduled my appointment to 1) have known there were 2 possible parts and that they may not be able to address the recall, and 2) if he knew, to give me a heads up in advance.
Your expectation is common sense to me. Unfortunately, my throttle recall went poorly from a customer service standpoint as well. In fact they put the recalled part BACK on the bike without telling me and it wasn't until I examined further that this came to light. The annoying part was that they had the new parts readily available. They informed me that the bike needed new cables and wanted to add another appointment to replace them. Being suspicious I took the housing apart to find perfect cables underneath. I will never understand why a tech would put recalled parts back on a motorcycle when the new are only steps away, or try to install new cables when mine were in perfect shape.

As far as I know there is only one new housing assembly, and that the only other parts required would be throttle cables if they are damaged. It takes five minutes to change the housing so in my mind a competent dealer has his customers stop in at their convenience and replace the housing. It is so simple that unless there is some sort of requirement that a tech do the work, any service/parts employee could quickly swap it out. It is not like the recall affects such a large number of bikes that they will be inundated. Perhaps a tech may need to have a peek at the cables to check their condition. If cables need replacing then I understand the dealership having to re-book you for that work.

#21 ·
I agree with the last two replies.

If you look at an online parts catalogue, it only shows one part for the cable housing which includes a new throttle tube and grip. For instance if I search the part # for my bike, it will show "this part has been replaced with this part #).

There is no change to the throttle tube. The change is only to the cable housing. The cable guide in the housing for the Open cable has changed.

#23 ·
I don't know. Every time I searched for the old part #, it returned the replacement part #.

I originally had an app. scheduled for the recall, but my dealer called the day before to say they had the wrong part. That was it. I've had enough of their incompetence.

The new part was $115 and arrived in 4 days. There is really nothing to it. Adjusted my cables and lubed the piss out of them. I've put about 1500 miles on the bike since with no probs.

Only time will tell, but I don't see how the dealer is the "only" one who can perform it. Hell, they can't even order the right part.

I've also practiced a throttle open, clutch pulled in, and press the kill switch scenario numerous times just to be somewhat prepared in case the throttle got stuck open.

#25 ·
Just for info, the part number of my REPLACEMENT housing is 65440272A, with the price on the invoice as $10.33 (but free for me, of course). As I said above, my dealer gave it to me and I installed it in about 2 minutes.

#26 ·
That's sweet your dealer did that.

I asked them to just give me the part and I'll do it. They gave me the whole thing of they are the only one's with the knowledge to install it.

I was furious, so I just bought it myself from another place.

#29 ·
I recently called into a Wellington ducati bike shop to have a look at the new multi, and also the new BMer, while i was there the mechanic asked me if i wanted my bike checked for any recalls, hell yes i said, he came back and said there is a recall on the throttle housing, and the right ohlins fork leg, and we can do the throttle housing now for you, and order the ohlins part. this is what good mechanic ship is all about.

Reactions: Kitesurfer
#31 ·
FYI: my throttle stuck open a few times on my way to work a couple of months ago (bike's done about 75,000km) and needless to say it scared the crap out of me. Thge first time was during a throttle "blip" as I changed down to go around a roundabout, and I figured I was just tired and mistimed the "blip". Happened again on another roundabout... then stuck open on the freeway in slow moving traffic. SHHHIIIITTT! Luckily I worked out I could force it closed by pushing the grip around the other way (the spring was not strong enough to do it on its own). Once I regained composure, I made a detour and swung by the City dealer. They noted that my bike needed the throttle recall, which they were happy to do on the spot. The throttle action has never felt sweeter, and my shorts have remained clean since! :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.