New C version fuel sensor having issues after 4 months - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2015, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

Ingenious solution, thank you for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd02 View Post
E=150 Ohms. F=22.7 KOhms

Unplug the piss poor sensor, and put a resistor across pins 1&2 of the plug going back to the Fuel Circuit. I chose a 21KOhm.

Light is off and level is jumped.

Attachment 520682Attachment 520690

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2016 Multistrada S (totaled)
2013 Multistrada S Touring (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 3:46 am
Green owner of Red MTS1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed.
Mine lasted 4 weeks... 4500kms all done in 2 weeks then the bike sits for 2 weekends, down to three bars and filled it - now shows completely empty..

Yeap good work fixing this issue Ducati..

Cheers John
Aceonthebeach3 likes this.

2012 MTS1200 S "Sport", 2010 Husky TE630 for dirty Fun
post #13 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 6:45 am Thread Starter

Interesting because that's a common denominator to mine. My bike sat for almost four weeks due to the weather last month, and it was at three bars true fuel level from the last ride before the Long Sleep. Like somehow sitting with a low level of fuel caused it to "stick" there or gum it up at the fuel/air line at the surface of the fuel level (?)

Before this sensor was installed I always used to top it off before parking it for the day, but a tech I know that services these bikes mentioned that letting it sit a long time with a full tank could possibly increase risk of fuel tank expansion.

I'll take a dead sensor over an expanded tank any day, so I'm following his advice for now and leaving the tank low on fuel when putting the bike up.

post #14 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 7:35 am

I don't think that is it. My bike never sits for any amount of time. I've experienced the same failures.
post #15 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 10:44 am

New C version fuel sensor having issues after 4 months

I guess the question is, what other models of Ducati have a fuel level sensor? Do other models use a capacitive sensor, or a thermisistor? If so, what model of sensor are they using? Are they seeing the same frequency of failing sensors? Could it be something in the Multi's circuit ruining these sensors? To my understanding, Multi's have the most electronics incorporated in them.

2014 Multistrada 1200 PP Rexxer Equipped
2009 Hypermotard 1100S (Traded for ^)
1998 Yamaha Vmax (Sold for PP)

Last edited by mitchelljd02; Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:23 am.
post #16 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelljd02 View Post
I guess the question is, what other models of Ducati have a fuel level sensor? Do other models use a capacitive sensor, or a thermisistor? If so, what model of sensor are they using? Are they seeing the same frequency of failing sensors? Could it be something in the Multi's circuit ruining these sensors? To my understanding, Multi's have the most electronics incorporated in them.

Those are good questions, perhaps someone from a 'Duc shop can give us a bit more info w.r.t. what they see comming into the shop for repairs etc ?

I pulled the Multi sensor apart. It's resistive and (IMHO) a fairly crappy design, right down to it's positioning in the tank.
see: 2010 Multistrada1200 Owner thoughts and ramblings

(I'm on to my 4th sensor btw...)

Although not guaranteed to work you could try the following :

[1] simply drain the tank (to force the float to drop all the way to the bottom of the sensor, and fill slowly back up. Hoping the float magnet will pick up the sliding contact again

or
[2] drain the tank and remove the sensor. if you tilt it back and forth you will hear the float sliding back and forth. I think the trick is to tilt it only very slightly and let the float slide very slowly, so the magnet has time to catch the sliding contact again.

Neither of these are guaranteed but [1] worked for me last time ...

+1 for Tuneboy V4 and MultiTool for Android.
1200 S Touring. 79,200 km traveled since August 2010...
post #17 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 5:05 pm

A quick google seems to find most 'Ducs don't have a fuel gauge like the Multi....
At best they might have a low fuel light ...
Panni, Diavel, 'strada, monster 1200 etc ....

'Wonder if the 2015 bike has a better unit ?
post #18 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

How do you go about draining the tank?

post #19 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 5:19 pm

New C version fuel sensor having issues after 4 months

I use a simple siphon from Lowe's or a hardware store. You'll have some residual left in the tank, and a few drops will come out when you disconnect the fuel lines.

Just have plenty of rags.

2014 Multistrada 1200 PP Rexxer Equipped
2009 Hypermotard 1100S (Traded for ^)
1998 Yamaha Vmax (Sold for PP)
post #20 of 325 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed. Last two fill-ups, it won't update right. Pull in for fuel @ 3 bars, fill up on side stand. Start back up, remains on 3 bars. Eventually climbs to show 1/2 tank but no higher and it takes about 15 minutes to get up to 1/2. Down to 3 bars again so filled yesterday again. Same thing only it took much longer to go up to just 1/2 tank and stay there. Shutting down and re-starting (just like Microsoft windows...) doesn't change it.

If this one fails out I think I want some way to disable the display of the error and just work off of the trip odometer. Its not a huge deal but I really don't like riding it around, especially at night, with the amber check engine light and fuel lights illuminated on the panel it looks stupid.
I had a new C fuel sensor installed on my 13 multi in Nov and it only lasted less than 400 miles. The original sensor lasted 22 months and 13K miles. The dealer replaced the sensor again and it works well at this point. I had asked the tech what when wrong with the replacement sensor and he said they have no idea. That they just install what Ducati sends them. The dealer implied that replacement parts may have a 1 year warranty from Ducati.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode