**New Owner Thread...Liquid Cooled MTS...Discuss and Show Us Yours** - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 8:45 am Thread Starter
Resident Raggamuffin

**New Owner Thread...Liquid Cooled MTS...Discuss and Show Us Yours**

A place for owners to share their new bike stories/photos/questions, or anything related to.

2016 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak | 2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, BMWs, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and a Thruxton R

Last edited by oalvarez; Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:50 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2014, 2:37 pm

New to Ducati

I've just clocked up the first 500 km - no chance for a long trip yet, so it has been little more than my morning commute.

Apart from keeping to the service schedule, do other forum members have any recommendations about general bike care? I see a lot of people here do most of the work on their bikes themselves. I intend to keep this bike for a long time, and I like looking after my stuff.

So, what do people here to to look after their bikes?

Cheers
John
Maxmach likes this.

2013 MTS 1200S Touring (Red GT Upgrade) - TaperPro handlebars, Rizoma bar ends, eBrew rear brake heat shield, SC-1 Oval pipes, TuneBoy cruise control
2013 BMW G650 GS Sunrise Yellow - (sold) gave me a sore butt
2001 Vespa 150 ET4 - (ex-wife got it with the most of my stuff) went through tyres and batteries quicker than oil
post #3 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2014, 2:50 pm

The list is long but I will address something you may want to look at with your mileage. I think one of the most surprising items for me was the chain and sprockets. They really don't seem to last very long and the chain needs constant adjustment especially when new. My guess is if you take out the chain gauge out of the tool kit yours will need adjusted after 500km. There are plenty of threads that discuss how to adjust your chain but if you need any help just ask!

2013 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
2014 Ducati 1199r Panigale (Track Mule)

post #4 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Yes, thanks I had read that thread, and I will check the chain tension in the next week or so. I've put my name down as a pre-order for the C-Spanner as well.

Cheers
John

2013 MTS 1200S Touring (Red GT Upgrade) - TaperPro handlebars, Rizoma bar ends, eBrew rear brake heat shield, SC-1 Oval pipes, TuneBoy cruise control
2013 BMW G650 GS Sunrise Yellow - (sold) gave me a sore butt
2001 Vespa 150 ET4 - (ex-wife got it with the most of my stuff) went through tyres and batteries quicker than oil
post #5 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Tighten every coolant hose clamp on the bike and then do it again in another 2K, if you have a center stand do the skid plate slot mod the first time you change the oil so you don't need to remove the center stand every time. I have not experienced chain stretching but I have left the gauge in place and ridden off, don't do this, found mine in the road flat as a pancake.

Go here for good info (service, mods): Motorcycle Info Pages - MTS1200 DIY Mods > MTS1200 DIY Mods

Here: Home

and here (not a 2013 but much is the same): MTS20120020tech manual
Haole GIrl likes this.

2012 Multistrada 1200S Touring, White
post #6 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2014, 6:36 pm
AARP Reject

Welcome to wheelie city!

Not everybody here does all the work on their own bikes, but almost everybody plays with them at least a bit.

These bikes may be a bit fussy (or complex if you prefer), but as the owner of a new one, I don't think you'll find you have to do too much of anything except be observant. Your warranty covers the work and parts, all you need to do is be sensitive to your new bike. Service intervals are extended and even though a lot of people tend to halve the oil change intervals (I do) the first real service isn't due until 15000 miles. The other ones (600-7500) are glorified oil changes.

Any new bike, I do these things:
1. Keep an eye on the oil window at every ride.
2. Watch chain tension and lube especially when new. As expat says, that's when they tend to wear in the most.
3. Check the bike for loose fasteners, controls and connectors and correct when found.
4. Usual tire maintenance

After that, it's optional. You can add accessories or components accordng to your budget/needs/desires or lack of them. But mainly, just enjoy the ride and if something goes whacko or seems odd, bring it to your dealer. That's what warranties and dealers are for. I trust my dealer and have no trouble asking them to do for free what the warranty may demand they do. It works well for both of us.

Enjoy your new bike!

Lew
'12 Multistrada S Touring
post #7 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2014, 11:29 am

I'm loving my Multi

I got my 2013 Multi a month or so ago and am really digging it! Bought mine used with 5k miles, and now coming up on 7k and the first oil change & service. Only thing unusual I notice (other than the rear tire that's getting flat in the middle from all those hard launches and commuting) is that my clutch fluid looks brownish already. Cruddy clutch fluid may be the reason for my occasional missed shifts / false neutrals (i hope that's all it is).

Other than new tires being needed soon, the bike is lovely!

Erica
'13 Multistrada, '07 S4Rs, '06 ST3s (for sale), 2 SV6-fiddies (for sale), FZ1 (for sale)
post #8 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 8:58 am

For occasional missed shifts, also take a quick look to make sure you've adjusted the shifter to fit you and your preference, that can help a lot. Also, when you change the clutch fluid & brake fluid you might want to consider adding speed bleeders, they are cheap and make it super easy to keep everything bled, and easy for future fluid changes too. Not very exciting bling, but sure is useful.
Haole GIrl likes this.

2011 Multistrada TUNEBOY equipped Dry STM slipper clutch... and some tricky bits inside the motor
W/Real Ohlins manual TTX shock and 30mm TTX cartridges & BSTs
post #9 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Getting ready for the "big Desmo service"

Right at 14k miles on my 2011. So far so good. Other than the absent rear brake the bike has been flawless and every mile had been a good/safe one.
I am going to schedule the 15k service soon and other than the "valve" check( too bad the top half of the bike needs to come off) I want them to look at the chain, brake pads and it's time for a 4th set of rubber but other than than that the bike has been a champ. It's sick fast, handles well and is comfortable on long rides. What more could you ask for...

2011 MTS1200 T ( Black )
2011 BWM F800GS
2011 Husqvarna TE 250
2009 Hyper ( gone but I have visitation rights)
post #10 of 271 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2014, 6:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkiw94061 View Post
I got my 2013 Multi a month or so ago and am really digging it! Bought mine used with 5k miles, and now coming up on 7k and the first oil change & service. Only thing unusual I notice (other than the rear tire that's getting flat in the middle from all those hard launches and commuting) is that my clutch fluid looks brownish already. Cruddy clutch fluid may be the reason for my occasional missed shifts / false neutrals (i hope that's all it is).

Other than new tires being needed soon, the bike is lovely!

Erica
'13 Multistrada, '07 S4Rs, '06 ST3s (for sale), 2 SV6-fiddies (for sale), FZ1 (for sale)
Yep get that cruddy fluid out and get the blue juice in :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode