Silence = Roar Flaps + F.Fabbri Screen + Aztec Spacers + Vortex Generators - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 10:55 am   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomfighter View Post
Geeezus! That looks hideous.

Sorry. Lol. If it saves you from the wind then great!
You should've seen it with the raw, unpainted pop-rivet flanges on the front. Talk about taking a motorcycle that's ugly in its stock form and making it even uglier!!! Even my wife thought it looked bad.

But yes, it does save me from the wind -- and my ears and neck muscles are very thankful. Additionally, I feel much less fatigue on long rides; I'm sure this will be a real benefit during my upcoming Ontario Highlands tour.

With the roar-flap "eyebrows" and the vortex-generator "crest," my Multistrada isn't far off from a Crowned Crane in looks:

Or maybe a black rooster:

Probably not what the original designers of the Multistrada had in mind.
miles_prower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 11:12 am   #12 (permalink)
jrt

If it works for you, then it is a success.
Cheers-
jrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 11:33 am   #13 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Having used to have an airplane (nothing special, an old one...) and formerly active as a pvt pilot, I know how incredibly effective VG's can be when placed properly. On the top of an airplane wing they can reduce stall speeds and make the airplane more stable in slow flight, even mitigate spin tendencies. They foster a more laminar air flow. So I am interested with the same question mteitler asked, how did you figure out the best placement or did the wind screen manufacturer have recommendations for where and what angle to install the VG's? I have a '13 and the turbulence is there even with the "updated" wind screen. I think the VG's on your setup look okay and even add some mystique to the look of the screen. Also, your flaps look fine and the over all look of the motorcycle I would even say has a custom look to it now that is more thumbs up than thumbs down. I was going to order a Gran Turismo smoke wind screen (slightly larger than Touring model's screen) but after seeing your VG's I'm wondering if I might try that first.
Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_prower View Post
After many incremental improvements (as well as a few missteps), I finally landed on a solution that offers me near silence and a calm bubble of air in the cockpit of my Multistrada.

Roar flaps

Like many of you, I followed the various threads here on "hiss flaps." And also like many of you, I have Barkbusters installed over my handguards. I tried fashioning folding hiss flaps (not unlike gabeschine's hinged hiss flaps), but I finally just settled on a simpler solution that mounts the flaps onto the windscreen itself.

I cut the flaps out of a sheet of ABS plastic and heat-formed them with a hot-air gun. I call them "roar flaps" because the turbulent air hitting the bottom of my helmet sounds more like a roar to me and less like hiss. These roar flaps significantly reduce that turbulence.

F.Fabbri screen

The F.Fabbri screen is slightly taller than the stock screen and not much wider. But crucially, it has little "winglets" that I was able to heat-form into mounting “platforms” for my homemade roar flaps.

Aztec spacers

I actually started with these spacers and the stock screen. Yes there was improvement in terms of reduced noise, but there was also improvement in terms of ergonomics. With the spacers, I have more room behind the screen to lean forward during spiriting riding.

When I switched to the taller F.Fabbri screen, the spacers were a necessity -- without them, I would hit my helmet against the lip of the screen, especially while mounting or dismounting.

Importantly, the Aztec spacers combined with the F.Fabbri screen allowed me to mount my roar flaps out of the way of my Barkbusters, even at full steering lock.

StolSpeed vortex generators

With the roar flaps, F.Fabbri screen, and Aztec spacers, the silence was golden. Unfortunately, that bubble of calm air was not very wide. If I moved my head just a couple inches left or right, once again my helmet would be thrashed with turbulent air and my ears would be tortured with the deafening roar. And if I happened to be passing a large SUV or truck, the bubble of calm air would mostly disappear.

To better understand where the turbulence was being generated, I covered my windscreen with homemade telltales (pieces of yarn taped down so that they show the flow of the air) and rode around at various speeds. I realized that a significant source of the turbulence was from the screen pushing the air diagonally upwards to the left and right -- at the correct angle to hit the bottom of my helmet when I leaned slightly left or right.

So I mounted StolSpeed vortex generators with 30 mm spacing at 15 degree angles to the streamlines indicated by the telltales. Wow, what an unbelievable difference!

I can now move my head almost a foot in either direction and stay in smooth air. Who knew a handful of tiny plastic vortex generators could widen the sweet spot by so much?!?!

(BTW, I purchased my StolSeed vortex generators from Aircraft Spruce, who shipped them out the same day. I received them two days after I ordered them.)
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 11:53 am   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteitler View Post
I don't think it looks bad at all. Now we just need a screen manufacturer to make a screen that includes these flaps, but all in clear and all in one piece.
Thanks! But I'm not embarrassed to say -- although it might not "look bad," it's still ugly!

And great idea regarding convincing a manufacturer to make a screen with flaps built in. I thought about asking Mark at California Scientific if he'd make me a custom screen if I sent him a 3D model of my DIY screen mods.

I had a CalSci screen on my MTS 1100 and liked it a lot, especially after I fashioned custom spacers/mounts for it using Milliput.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteitler View Post
How did you decide on the locations and angles of the vortex thingies? Just from watching your telltails?
Yup. The telltales clearly showed how the air was flowing across the screen. I rode loops between exits on Rt 128 (I-95) with the telltales mounted on the frontside of the screen, and a roll of artist tape and a sharpie in my pocket. I taped marking-lines and notes to the inside (backside) of the screen every time I pulled off of the highway.

When I got home, I fashioned two templates (exact copies of each other) from card stock that allowed me to angle pairs of vortex generators at 15 degree angle, 30 mm apart. Then I mounted the vortex-generator pairs along what I thought were the streamlines most likely leading to air "rolling" off of the edges of the screen into turbulent bands hitting the underside of my helmet.

Before I added the vortex generators, I did several rides with scissors, sheets of corrugated cardboard, and a roll of clear packing tape in my topbox. Between short runs on the highway, I cut out roar flaps of various shape and size, and taped them onto my windshield until I settled on a final configuration that reduced the turbulence significantly without putting undue pressure on the windscreen, the windscreen mounting hardware, or the plastic bodywork below.

Note that there's sort of a "ram air" intake -- just below the front/bottom tip of the windscreen -- formed by the front edges of the windscreen and the roar flaps, and also the beak and bodywork. There's also the slight gap (maybe 1/8'') between the roar flaps and the windscreen. I found that it was important to allow some air to fill in the low-pressure area behind the screen; otherwise, there was too much turbulence as air wrapped fully around the screen and came tumbling into the low-pressure area from all sides. Moreover, by allowing some air to pass through the backside of the roar flaps, the flaps themselves, as well as the screen mounts, do not have to survive too much pressure from the air hitting the flaps and pushing them back. With this design, the flaps and the screen remain very calm -- without shaking or vibrating.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 2:18 pm   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
So I am interested with the same question mteitler asked, how did you figure out the best placement or did the wind screen manufacturer have recommendations for where and what angle to install the VG's?
Even before riding with the telltales in place, I was pretty certain that I needed to put the vortex generators fairly low on the screen. Along the sides of the screen slightly above the roar flaps was where I felt (with my extended (gloved) hand) most of the air blast that was causing the turbulence that was hitting the bottom of my helmet when I moved my head left or right out of the calm air bubble.

Then it was a matter of choosing the spacing and angle of each pair of vortex generators. The StolSpeed generators come with two templates -- one for 30 mm spacing and one for 60 mm. I chose 30 mm, but as mentioned above, I fashioned my own templates -- each was sort of a pie section (shaped like an 8'' long arrowhead). These templates not only helped me place the pairs of generators at correct spacing and angle, but they also allowed me to align the left-side pairs in mirror image to the right-side pairs across the center-line of the windscreen.

Photos of how to mount the generators using the supplied templates can be found on the StolSpeed installation webpage. (You'll also find some advice on where to install the generators on an airplane wing for best reducing stall speed without adding undue drag.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Nice work.
Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 2:21 pm   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raebear View Post
Very Nice -thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt View Post
If it works for you, then it is a success.
Cheers-
Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 2:25 pm   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Not for me, but not bad at all. Clean workmanship. Also, that rig may help keep some of the rain off, which I hear you guys are getting plenty of.

The wife and I are originally from Boston 20 years ago, but we still have family back there who remind us just how dry we are on occasion.
Thanks!

And yes, I do think that this whole kit of screen mods does indeed keep me dryer than the stock screen by itself. Not that the tests I've been doing have been entirely scientific and all -- but I did notice during this week's rides through scattered showers that I'm getting far less rain on my shoulders now that I've installed the roar flaps and vortex generators.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 2:56 pm   #18 (permalink)

FYI the Calsci screen solves all the issue with noise.

I have been very pleased with mine large version.

DuKitty Cross Country Trip 2013
DuKitty North/South Trip 2014
CorporateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:28 pm   #19 (permalink)

I give the OP credit for taking the initiative to sort and develop a solution for his bike. I've been reading several threads recently about several who have experienced front end wobble with the taller windscreens on their GTs. I think Ducati may have been ahead of us on this one and it seems as if the OP may have made strides in the right direction. I suppose there's always a trade off for esthetics and styling. I would love to see the OP's bike in person to make a realistic conclusion as to the esthetics. Thanks for sharing.
2009 Vespa 250 GTS ie
2006 Aprilia SR70
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:29 pm   #20 (permalink)

Most but not all.

IBA# 55298
Current.
2013 Multistrada T Matte Chrome
Her name is 'Bice' pronounced Bee-chay

2005 HD V-Rod highly modded, KTM 380 EXC, many others
raebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.