Quick shift Kit for the TuneBoy system - Page 19 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

View Poll Results: Are you interested in an MTS 1200 QS kit from Tuneboy
Yes please! 47 83.93%
No interest. 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 11:18 pm   #181 (permalink)

So is this something any flunky (me) with a laptop can accomplish simply following instructions or do I need to programming whiz?
eezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 11:59 pm   #182 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiDuc View Post
The link Emma posted up is V3. Does anyone have V4? or is there someplace to download it. I would think it best to start with the latest version?
Agree. I'd like V4 too. Don't know where to get it and Tuneboy has not answered my email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezz View Post
So is this something any flunky (me) with a laptop can accomplish simply following instructions or do I need to programming whiz?
While YMMV, it isn't hard and one does not need to be a programming whiz.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 12:22 am   #183 (permalink)

I'm not sure that the "version 4" wasn't something they were using when testing the code (Version 4 of the quick shifter code) and not a release version.

I got an email from Wayne on the "run on bike" just a few minutes ago. After removing the new cush drive my shifts improved. I think I will try and mess around with the FCE option a little and see how it goes.

Hi

This is a result of the FCE option in the "Config Options"
When this is ticked it keeps the throttle open (Very small amount) to stop
the ECU doing the fuel cut.
This was added to reduce the pop on closed throttle and to improve the
response for the down shift blip.
When the RPM drops below 2500 RPM the throttle closes to the normal value
(To make sure the bike drops back to a normal idle).
If you remove the tick from the "FCE" tick box you will find the map
switch acts as normal.

I will add a note about this when I update the documentation.

Thanks

Wayne Macdonald
TuneBoy - Engine Management Systems
TuneBoy Pty Ltd
PO Box 321, Galston NSW 2159, Australia
Tel: + 61 2 9482 4883

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Agree. I'd like V4 too. Don't know where to get it and Tuneboy has not answered my email.

While YMMV, it isn't hard and one does not need to be a programming whiz.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 1:49 am   #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgiumexpat View Post
I'm not sure that the "version 4" wasn't something they were using when testing the code (Version 4 of the quick shifter code) and not a release version.

I got an email from Wayne on the "run on bike" just a few minutes ago. After removing the new cush drive my shifts improved. I think I will try and mess around with the FCE option a little and see how it goes.

Hi

This is a result of the FCE option in the "Config Options"
When this is ticked it keeps the throttle open (Very small amount) to stop
the ECU doing the fuel cut.
This was added to reduce the pop on closed throttle and to improve the
response for the down shift blip.
When the RPM drops below 2500 RPM the throttle closes to the normal value
(To make sure the bike drops back to a normal idle).
If you remove the tick from the "FCE" tick box you will find the map
switch acts as normal.

I will add a note about this when I update the documentation.

Thanks

Wayne Macdonald
TuneBoy - Engine Management Systems
TuneBoy Pty Ltd
PO Box 321, Galston NSW 2159, Australia
Tel: + 61 2 9482 4883
I think I will uncheck the FCE to see how it goes. I'll try to update it this evening, not sure about a test ride right now. Please post if you have an opportunity to test.

Thanks.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 8:03 am   #185 (permalink)
All weather biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiDuc View Post
The link Emma posted up is V3. Does anyone have V4? or is there someplace to download it. I would think it best to start with the latest version? I know Wit posted he was using V4 and loved it. Unfortunately family life is preventing me from freezing my ass off in the garage installing this tonight. But at least I downloaded the new updates into the laptop. I think I may need to wait till this weekend to complete the install. Thank you guys for the assistance
I think the v4 that Wit mentioned is actually the v3.xx versions that we have and Wayne just changed the numbering scheme.

If there is indeed a V4 being tested which is better, I'd love to try it of course.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 9:40 am   #186 (permalink)

Just got back from a ride. I really haven't put as many miles on it as I would like before reporting something but here goes:

First and foremost: I think we all have different riding styles, expectations of what a quick shifter can/should do, and probably even more important different bikes. Myself, I fully expect my bike to cruise through my subdivision at 2500 rpm in first gear and not jerking me around in the seat. I believe that is possible and expect my bike to do it each and every time I come into the neighborhood. The same in the town, I should be able to putt along at low rpm (2500-3k) at 50 km. It should run that smooth without fail. Race bikes are something different but I want this one to be versatile. You may be different and like to rev it up and cruise at 5k rpm everywhere. I like to bang it off the limiter like I'm sure most people that own this bike does, but I also like it docile. We are all different and have different expectations. Enough ranting, lets move on:

FCE: Without a doubt, I want it off! Turning it off made a world of difference in how my quickshifter worked on the downshifts especially down low at 4k rpm. My upshifts were good from the beginning and are still now. I simply like the way the bike runs now (see above). I wouldn't say it was running "bad" before but now I would call it silky smooth. The 2010's to 2012's may not run well with this since I bet most of the testing was done with those models. In my case I don't think I will turn it on even on a track day where I will be running it very hard. There seems to be no benefit in my case at any rpm. I can also switch modes on the fly without pulling in the clutch.

The cush drive: I'm not convinced that it is either good or bad. I have been making way too many changes in gearing, trims, and dat files. Today I have the stock cush drive in and running 15/42 gears. I am very happy with the exception noted below which I will play around with a little. Once I am done playing with the settings I will put the new fancy dancy cush drive back in.

Settings: I am running the default pressures as suggested in the install document (I had changed to 5 on the downshift). As stated earlier, the FCE box is not checked.

Complaints: Overall, very happy boarding on giddy! I have to whine or tinker with something so here it is: At very low speeds (2500 -3000 rpm) especially downshifts aren't as smooth. I need to look at the tables and try to adjust. I am not sure that this is even possible. If I am putting around in 3rd at 3k and downshift I will feel the bike jerk. Too much throttle for it on the blip. I could probably decrease the throttle blip from 3700rpm down to 2500. I'm not concerned with this since I probably shouldn't be using the quickshifter in the first place while putting around. I isn't the sm@rtest kookie and kan do dum things so I will try to adjust it. I'll play with it over the next couple of days and let everyone know.

Last edited by belgiumexpat; Jan 29th, 2014 at 10:14 am.
belgiumexpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 9:54 am   #187 (permalink)

Thanks for posting. I'm going to turn off the FCE and try to get out on a test ride tomorrow. I'll post the results after that.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:36 am   #188 (permalink)

Smile

I was able to get out for a short ride as well, maybe 30kms, not as long as I would have liked either. Temp was 1 C. I unchecked the FCE, and left the blip and kill at the recommended settings.

I plan to leave the FCE off as well. I believe this was the cause of not being able to change modes without pulling in the clutch lever based my/our experience and what Wayne said per belgiumexpat's post. I was able to change modes as normal, cruise worked and heated grips worked normally.

I also have been happy with the upshifts. I have to be very deliberate and fully execute a downshift. If I do this the downshift is good. If I push the shifter only part way, the bike will blip and not downshift. I did not notice any difference in downshifts with the FCE unchecked. It may also be I am not the most attentive or sensitive to this.

I have been happy with fueling above 2000 RPM. The bike could be smoother below that. I have to drive/ride at 20kph where I live and that is very hard to do smoothly. I don't see any changes with the new QS tune, but I added the same trim file I was using before.

There are lots of options to change values in the tables, including blip values. Some are obvious and some I just don't have enough knowledge on what the values mean.

Now if I could get rid of that @#!$% snowflake...

Last edited by marret; Jan 29th, 2014 at 11:50 am.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:38 am   #189 (permalink)
All weather biker

Good stuff, BexP, that's exactly how I would like to have my bike working too.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 1:52 pm   #190 (permalink)
All weather biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Now if I could get rid of that @#!$% snowflake...
+1 and the rain - you could tape a screened blowtorch next to the temp sensor and pretend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement