New to the Touring world - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 7:15 pm   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsberrios1 View Post
Also, next year's touring S version will come with Skyhook suspension. Even though most of us won't have the privilege of riding one till they arrive I am sure you guys have your opinions already. There are a few reviews out as well that praise the new skyhook system. Is it worth waiting? The price difference between getting the left over '12 to a new Touring S will most likely be around $4k..

Opinions?
You might thank yourself later for doing a bit more reading on the 2013 models before jumping in with the '12.

There is a thread here that details most of the changes, and they are surprisingly many given how similar the new bike will look.

The '13 base gets all the mods except for the Skyhook suspension.

Among them: LED low-beam headlamp, several engine mods that smooth out the low-speed running and improve fuel economy, better ABS and - apparently - a rear brake that works properly.

If you are considering the Skyhook-equipped '13 "S" model, perhaps read up on the Skyhook system as well.

The "electronic" aspect goes a lot further than Ohlins went with the DES. The Skyhook damper valves are computer controlled and adjust in real time to the size of the hit you encounter. Yes, really. The damping change occurs within about 1/100th of a second: it happens as the suspension encounters the bump, not afterwards.

The Skyhook bikes will also come with a progressively wound and much stiffer rear spring. That will likely sort out your problem with hard parts grounding two-up.

Happy pondering.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 26th, 2012, 7:25 pm   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
You might thank yourself later for doing a bit more reading on the 2013 models before jumping in with the '12.

There is a thread here that details most of the changes, and they are surprisingly many given how similar the new bike will look.

The '13 base gets all the mods except for the Skyhook suspension.

Among them: LED low-beam headlamp, several engine mods that smooth out the low-speed running and improve fuel economy, better ABS and - apparently - a rear brake that works properly.

If you are considering the Skyhook-equipped '13 "S" model, perhaps read up on the Skyhook system as well.

The "electronic" aspect goes a lot further than Ohlins went with the DES. The Skyhook damper valves are computer controlled and adjust in real time to the size of the hit you encounter. Yes, really. The damping change occurs within about 1/100th of a second: it happens as the suspension encounters the bump, not afterwards.

The Skyhook bikes will also come with a progressively wound and much stiffer rear spring. That will likely sort out your problem with hard parts grounding two-up.

Happy pondering.
hmm.. now you got me thinking. So does this mean that the suspension is self adjustable and you dont have to play with settings like the DES? That sounds like a good thing, not having to tweak the suspension for different kinds of riding. It sounds sort of like the magnetic damping that Cadillac, Ferrari and Range Rover use in their top of the line performance drivers.

Might have to wait and see what the settlement for the Panigale is... If I can cash in a good 20k I might end up with a brand new Touring S.
2012 Multistrada ABS std. (aka. Std./Touring)
1997 748 (mancave decor)
2008 Monster S4Rs
Tricolore #197/400 (Living Room Queen)

Gone but not forgotten...
2000 Monster 900 Dark (beater)
2012 1199 Panigale S RIP (best track toy ever)
2010 Streetfighter (Traded for panigale)
2008 848 (RIP) (My first SBK)
2007 S2R 1000 (sold) (First Road bike Evar!)
Lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 7:36 pm   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
If it were me I'd go with the base model and use the $4k for some premium suspension modification to suit your taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
My feelings100 percent. Ive got 2012 base model and love it to death. I have had no suspension problems,, just took some testing and time to get my setup there . Now I only weigh170 pounds and do know weight is a factor . I got the same dealio with heated grips , centerstand and panniers. That 4 grand can buy you some real nice extras. Just my opinion,,,,,

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 2:04 am   #14 (permalink)

I could be wrong as I don't know a lot about the Panigales. But I think the DES on the Pani S should be functionally no different than the one on the Multi S.

I am sure my use of DES is similar to that of the other MTS owners on here. I only use the default settings while I know that some folks actually customized the riding modes to suit their needs better. For instance someone (forgot who) mentioned that they had configured the Sport mode to be their track riding mode and made everything stiffer etc.

For me specifically I typically switch between Sport with full luggage, rider + passenger when going solo and a bit more aggressively in the twisties to Sport with just a rider when I am commuting. On longer rides I mostly use Touring. I haven't taken my MTS off the road yet. So never even tried the Enduro mode. I have tried the Urban mode. I almost never use it actually. Having preset rider, rider + passenger etc helps with being able to change suspension settings on the fly.

DES does not feel like a necessity to me. But having it is a nice add-on to a pretty great bike.

Finally there is a lot more information on DES here - Motorcycle Info Pages - 'How to' & FAQs > DES Suspension. Actually this website is like a Multistrada bible. I have used more than one advice from there already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsberrios1 View Post

Can you please explain how effective is the DES for your use? It might make a bigger difference in the Multi than the Pani since it does different duties as the pani only does one.
Sideout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 2:27 am   #15 (permalink)

Since you have a good relationship with your dealer get the standard and have them save the rear shock from an s that the electronics went out on and convert it to manual. That is what was done on my bike so now I have ohlins in the rear and the andreoni cartridges up front. I now have a premium suspension setup just without the des to worry about failing on me. As for ground clearance I have dragged the pegs but never once dragged the centerstand. You can always buy some higher pegs from ducati designs, they make the set that was on the pikes peak race bike.
valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 8:49 am   #16 (permalink)

Lsb, seeing that you are in Atlanta, is your dealer BMW of Atlanta?

Reason I ask is, Bob/Bobby/Linda/Richard are all great to work with and can easily find you a '12 MT(S).

My concern with your comments on the 'base' model is that the undertone seems like you might be minimalizing the 'want' portion of the bike in favor of the 'will work good enough' portion.

If you are a sports bike enthusiast, particularly coming from a Pannigale, it may be worth giving more thought to an S model. Or, as you mentioned earlier, consider waiting for a '13. However, I like some others here am not a fan of doing the R&D for the manufacturer, so while I'm curious about the Skyhook, I am even more curious to get the feedback from actual riders.

Sorry if none of that is helpful, but I would hate the thought of making a Ducati investment and then spending years after thinking... "wish I'd gone with the Ohlins!"

Let me know when you get it, perhaps we can meet up at Suches for a piece of pizza and a quick Six Gap ride!

K
2012 CanAM RSS SE5
2000 RSV MilleR

More if I could...

Last edited by Harring10; Dec 27th, 2012 at 9:23 am.
Harring10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 9:22 am   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
I could be wrong as I don't know a lot about the Panigales. But I think the DES on the Pani S should be functionally no different than the one on the Multi S.

For me specifically I typically switch between Sport with full luggage, rider + passenger when going solo and a bit more aggressively in the twisties to Sport with just a rider when I am commuting. On longer rides I mostly use Touring. I haven't taken my MTS off the road yet. So never even tried the Enduro mode. I have tried the Urban mode. I almost never use it actually. Having preset rider, rider + passenger etc helps with being able to change suspension settings on the fly.

DES does not feel like a necessity to me. But having it is a nice add-on to a pretty great bike.

I see more use in it on the Multi since it deals with different types of terrains and different loads. That is why it might be beneficial. The panigale only did street, one a bit stiffer and one a bit softer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyrider View Post
Since you have a good relationship with your dealer get the standard and have them save the rear shock from an s that the electronics went out on and convert it to manual. That is what was done on my bike so now I have ohlins in the rear and the andreoni cartridges up front. I now have a premium suspension setup just without the des to worry about failing on me. As for ground clearance I have dragged the pegs but never once dragged the centerstand. You can always buy some higher pegs from ducati designs, they make the set that was on the pikes peak race bike.
I've heard some places that stock forks are acutally better for track and sport duty than the ohlins equiped. It also has that knob on the back which makes it somewhat easier to load the springs if I were to ride with a passenger or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harring10 View Post
Lsb, seeing that you are in Atlanta, is your dealer BMW of Atlanta?

Reason I ask is, Bob/Bobby/Linda/Richard are all great to work with and can easily find you a '12 MT(S).

My concern with your comments on the 'base' model is that the undertone is you might be minimalizing the 'want' portion of the bike in favor of the 'will work good enough' portion.

If you are sports bike enthusiast, particularly coming from a Pannigale, I would recommend giving more thought to an S model. Or, as you mentioned earlier, consider waiting for a '13. However, I like some others here am not a fan of doing the R&D for the manufacturer, so while I'm curious about the Skyhook, I am even more curious to get the feedback from actual riders.

Sorry if none of that is helpful, but I would hate the thought of making a Ducati investment and then spending years after thinking... "wish I'd gone with the Ohlins!"

Let me know when you get it, perhaps we can meet up at Suches for a piece of pizza and a quick Six Gap ride!

K
The dealer is NPR ducati in Bogart GA. Yes I am afraid I will always regret what I will missing but then again I could be lamenting paying that much for a bike and wishing I would have saved up. I would also have to include the Garmin GPS which ain't cheap, Scala Rider Mics and a tank bag for tools. That by itself is an extra 1000+ at least! Also some touring clothing, since all my gear is track oriented. Decisions, decisions.

As for the ride, will do. It would be nice to meet another fellow forum member and no better place than N. GA
2012 Multistrada ABS std. (aka. Std./Touring)
1997 748 (mancave decor)
2008 Monster S4Rs
Tricolore #197/400 (Living Room Queen)

Gone but not forgotten...
2000 Monster 900 Dark (beater)
2012 1199 Panigale S RIP (best track toy ever)
2010 Streetfighter (Traded for panigale)
2008 848 (RIP) (My first SBK)
2007 S2R 1000 (sold) (First Road bike Evar!)
Lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 9:25 am   #18 (permalink)

There's so many different options and I'm a big fan of not getting into a financial situation that makes me regret the purchase. But...if theres one thing I've learned it's the regret of not buying what your heart truly desires. So your going to have to be honest with yourself, I don't know about you but in the past I've tried to convince myself I could do with out. In the end I was only fooling myself. If you buy what you want, you'll always be happy..period.

My dealer tried to work a deal with me on a 12 but it wasn't good enough. I keep hearing people on here talk about not wanting to get stuck "testing" the new Skyhook, so they get the 12 with the Ohlins. I'm not trying to pick a fight but the Ohlins stuff has it's share of known issues so to me...what's the difference?

If you can save enough on a base 12 and think you'll be happy with it than go for it. If you're like me and think I don't want any regrets in 6 months, than wait a little more and see what owners say about the new skyhook. My dealer got his first two in last week, it won't be long till people on here get there's and report back.

As far as center stands go. I had one on my XX and did a bunch of sport touring on it and it was truly invaluable. I never had an issue getting my knee down and not having an issue with the stand. On the road it made any and all maintenance a piece or cake. I don't know if the same would hold true on a multi but I'm willing to find out. If it's does I'll just yank it off, as others have mentioned if you have big feet you might have more of an issue with it hitting your feet.

Lastly as mentioned ,there have been a bunch of useful changes in the 13's to address issues in the 1st gen units you may want to read up on. It might be something that tips the scales.

Good luck, either way whichever one you buy I'm pretty sure you'll love it. I know I'm excited as hell about mine coming in.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 9:32 am   #19 (permalink)

RC51... Love that Bike!
2012 CanAM RSS SE5
2000 RSV MilleR

More if I could...
Harring10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 12:08 pm   #20 (permalink)

I went with a base model and have no regrets. Less things to go wrong over ownership. I normally only adjust my suspension one to three times a year. Say for a loaded up trip, or if I am going to do a track day kind of thing.. Otherwise.. The suspension is set for day to day. It is not like the base model is not a fully adjustable suspension. Guess I am more old school.

BTW(because I am cheap), I added new OEM panniers (Ducati of Omaha Cyber deal) for $800 shipped. Also added the SW-motech centerstand for $200. I use a ram mount cradle with a stem ram-ball mount(replaces a bolt on the handlebar plate) for my Garmin Nuvi gps. Added the A'me heated handgrips for $130.. Couldnt be happier. Here is a review on the grips I am using:
http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/am...ips-review.htm

Just my .02 cents,
Webby

Last edited by wickedwebby; Dec 27th, 2012 at 12:16 pm.
wickedwebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement