http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 12:29 am   #1 (permalink)

Coolant Recall???

There seems to have been an unusual number of cylinder head failures, can you tell us anything about this?
"Yes, there have been some problems with coolant escaping into the lubricating oil. This was caused by an unexpected internal corrosion problem caused by glycol-based anti-freeze. We have changed the anti-freeze specification to a non-glycol one and this has cured the problem. We now recommend a non-glycol anti-freeze for all existing Testastretta engines."

Andrea Forni Interview | Ash On Bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 2:28 am   #2 (permalink)

Looks as if this will be an interesting topic. Through some limited research I have begun to determine that Non-Glycol coolant offers no antifreeze protection.

So, did the Technical Director of Ducati misspeak, is he misinformed, misquoted, something lost in translation, or am I misinformed? ("Non-Glycol based antifreeze")

Furthermore, I am thinking that a coolant system flush would be in order to remove the existing coolant that has bonded/permeated the metals in contact with the cooling fluids. This, in my opinion, should be a chemical based flush. What product should be used? BG products are only available to trained Techs. Thinking most, if not all, Duc shops are not BG users? I wish to get the glycol based fluid out and get the new in but I wish to do the exchange once and right the first time.

Alas, if it is true that there is no Non-Glycol product with antifreeze qualities I will have trepidations concerning use, parking, and storage in sub-freezing conditions. As a four-season pilot this is yet another potential disappointment with regard to an awesome to ride yet a PITA cycle to maintain/get right/keep right.

I hear yet more $$$ leaving my pocket
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 11:03 am   #3 (permalink)

And what is the brand name of new non-glycol antifreeze DUCATI recommends
Does anyone know
nikosz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 1:00 pm   #4 (permalink)

What about the lubricating properties of glycol based antifreeze? Doesn't the coolant play a part in lubricating the waterpump internals?
ilovemyduc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 2:31 pm   #5 (permalink)
jrt

All aqueous solutions have antifreeze properties. It really doesn't matter what solute you put into water. Now, some are better than others, and glycol is a very good antifreeze agent, but salt, sugar, anything that dissolves in water will simultaneously reduce the freezing point and raise the boiling point.
Trust me on this- I am a Professor of Chemistry.
jrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 2:59 pm   #6 (permalink)

So… does anyone know if Ducati is going to start replacing coolant for Multi owners as a no charge warranty item?
I think I'm going to call my dealership in the morning!
JackN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 3:02 pm   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
So… does anyone know if Ducati is going to start replacing coolant for Multi owners as a no charge warranty item?
I'm willing to bet good money that they don't even know about an issue let alone a fix/change in the 2013 MTS. I'm thinking it will be a while before this information and change trickles down if ever. Ducati never issued a recall on the rear brakes either just a TSB which was an "as requested/bitched/moaned/complained" item. Same for the Ohlin shims. I don't think this will be much different.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 4:41 pm   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Just curious why do you care JackN? I know what you currently ride or are we "looking"?
'?? Open spot in garage
fujinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 4:58 pm   #9 (permalink)

How about AMSOIL -> AMSOIL - Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant (ANT)

Product Description
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant (ANT) is formulated to provide benefits far beyond those found in today’s conventional antifreeze and coolant products. This revolutionary formulation provides maximum antifreeze and cooling protection in the most extreme temperatures and operating conditions. And unlike conventional ethylene glycol-based products, which are highly toxic and even fatal, AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant is formulated with propylene glycol. It is biodegradable and its low toxicity limits the threat to children, pets and wildlife.

AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant provides even greater benefits:

Lasts Longer
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant contains a proprietary poly organic acid technology. It eliminates the need for supplemental coolant additives and recharging cooling systems. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant provides extended service life in all gasoline and diesel vehicles. It can be used for seven years or 250,000 miles in passenger cars, light-duty trucks, vans and recreational vehicles. It lasts seven years or 750,000 miles in over-the-road diesel trucks. Also for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and closed marine applications. AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant lasts longer than conventional products.

Compatible With Other Fluids
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant is dyed neutral yellow and is compatible with all ethylene and propylene antifreeze and coolant formulations on the market, including DEX-Cool®, Sierra® and Zerex®. It is also compatible with fully formulated diesel anti-freezes and other organic acid technology (OAT) and hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulations.

Stops Leaks
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Coolant adheres to metal. It self-seals hairline cracks in welds and seams to prevent leaks, without additional stop-leak products or fibrous materials.

Helps Prevent Metallic Corrosion
Independent tests reveal AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant surpassed standards for metallic corrosion. It plates metal to protect even when exposed to acids and salt spray. Standard allowances for loss in aluminum and solder are less than 60 mg. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant lost 0 mg in aluminum and less than 6 mg in solder.

Standards for iron, steel, copper and brass allow a maximum loss of less than 20 mg. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant never exceeded a 3 mg loss in any of those metals in a testing period that was run for 10 weeks, three weeks longer than required tests.

AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant (ANT)

• Formulated for heavy-duty and automotive applications
• Good for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and some marine applications
• Extended drain intervals

Up to seven years or 750,000 miles in Class 8 vehicles
Up to seven years or 250,000 miles in pleasure vehicles

• Universal compatibility
• Safe, biodegradable, non-toxic, non-polluting
• Aluminum engine block compatible
• Silicate- and Phosphate-Free

AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant meets the following automotive and heavy-duty service specifications:

• ASTM D-6210 • ASTM D-3306
• ASTM D 6210-98

Composition by Weight:
Total glycols, > 92 percent;
Corrosion inhibitors and antifoamants,
= 3 percent; Water, < 5 percent

Boiling Point (sea level):
219° F at 40 percent concentration,
222° F at 50 percent,
225° F at 60 percent;
increase by 40° to 45° F if a 15 psi
radiator cap is used
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 5:02 pm   #10 (permalink)

Subscribed to figure out which coolant to use...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.