http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Motorcycle Forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 1:54 pm   #101 (permalink)

This cut and paste was "borrowed" from a Diavel forum

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 AM
OK here's the response from Andrea Forni - yes he replied, wow!

Mr. Bannister, good afternoon.
Sorry for the delay in this answer.
I guess you are referring to my interview appeared on “ashonbikes”, that I report here :

There seems to have been an unusual number of cylinder head failures, can you tell us anything about this?
"Yes, there have been some problems with coolant escaping into the lubricating oil. This was caused by an unexpected internal corrosion problem caused by glycol-based anti-freeze. We have changed the anti-freeze specification to a non-glycol one and this has cured the problem. We now recommend a non-glycol anti-freeze for all existing Testastretta engines."

If so, I would like to clarify some statements that could be misinterpreted.
The above interview was related to Multistrada 1200.
Is a matter of fact that we faced a few cases of cylinder head corrosion on Multistradas. but other Ducati models (1198, Diavel, Streetfighter) are not interested.
Too long to detail why, but this is what actually happened.
It’s also true that the change of original anti-freeze to one with better anti-corrosion properties cured the problem (on the affected bikes, therefore on Multistradas).
It’ undeniable that new anti-freeze has better anti-corrosion performances than older one.
Therefore, on assembly line, we shifted to the new one, and, for obvious standardization reasons, the new anti-freeze is now applied to all liquid cooled engines.
But your Diavel (as well as 1198, 848, Streetfighter, ecc.) does not need the replacement of anti-freeze before the expected normal service interval.
Of course, when you will perform the next scheduled service, we recommend you to use new one, but you are not required to do it as a sort of urgent action to prevent damages.
Finally, please let me clarify that the differences between old and new anti-freeze are basically the additives of the products, and not the base component that is still glycol.
The wrong statement was due to a my mistake in the interview, I apologize.

Hoping that I have clarified your doubts, please accept my best regards.

Andrea Forni
xrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 29th, 2012, 4:42 pm   #102 (permalink)

FYI coolant problem

I ran into a riding/track day buddy today and told him about my Duc's head/coolant problems and he said, 'Hmmm, just like Toyota a couple years ago with their V6'. What? He said that they had an issue with the coolant causing a problem with the head gasket, due to the aluminum head & iron cylinder liner. They lost a lot of gaskets & heads before fixing the problem.

Interesting.
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 4:59 pm   #103 (permalink)

More to it.

We can set the wayback machine on this one. First one I heard of in a mass produced vehicle was the early 70's Cosworth Vega with the iron block and aluminum cylinder heads. So many head gasket issues they stopped using that motor. So that was 40 years ago.

Then jump ten years forward to the late 70's early 80's and the Triumph TR7's. Same issue iron block, aluminum cylinder heads. Head gasket/leak issues up the wazoo. This time they just let the company leave the US market in shame.

Dissimilar metals causing issues is an age old problem. There is a reason they have to re-body old aluminum skin cars built on steel frames. They are just corroded to hell at the attachment points. The right additives in the coolant can help internal motor parts. Look at all the stuff they use on boats to try to slow the process. Slow being the key word here. All the plating's, coatings, additives can only slow the process down.

The only issue here is Ducati had a perfect storm with using a cheaper coolant with the wrong mix of additives combined with people using the bike in a way no Ducati has in the past.

They are usually track bikes or poseur bikes, both that get lots of maintenance and low miles put on them, or a lot of miles over many years. The Multi was the answer to a question a lot of people where asking "Can I get a bike that does EVERYTHING really well". People use the bike like a actual all around commuter, long trip, constant use, hooligan, track, everything bike. This revealed they will have to up their game for reliability on these bikes as compared to their other models.
Jaxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 6:53 pm   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxian View Post

They are usually track bikes or poseur bikes, both that get lots of maintenance and low miles put on them, or a lot of miles over many years. The Multi was the answer to a question a lot of people where asking "Can I get a bike that does EVERYTHING really well". People use the bike like a actual all around commuter, long trip, constant use, hooligan, track, everything bike. This revealed they will have to up their game for reliability on these bikes as compared to their other models.
That is a very valid point.

On the issue of motors composed of dissimilar metals, particularly iron block mated to an aluminum head, there has been many successful designs as well. 4G63 just off the top of my head so I'd say there is something wrong with the design rather than the materials. i.e. semi-open or open deck rather than closed deck blocks possibly due to better cooling ability but more coolant exposure. I'm just thinking out loud obviously...
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 7:16 pm   #105 (permalink)
U.P.H.

Thread merge

Enjoy
1994 888 LTD #61
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 10:44 pm   #106 (permalink)
Staring back at the Abyss

Location: Ral-E / Boston / Pan City, , Citizen of the World Earth
What Coolant should be used ?

'Lex Talionis'
'Welcome to the church of the open Field, Let us Prey!'
FatCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 3:18 pm   #107 (permalink)

I had my bike in the shop over the weekend. When I picked up the bike my dealer said there was a coolant recall and flushed and replaced the coolant. That was the first I had heard of this but now I see there has been a thread out on it for a while.
loc4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 7:41 pm   #108 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

so, is the consensus that this new anti-corrosive glycol based coolant will fix the problem?

“Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge.” EJ Potter

Robert

99 ST4 Red
2003 ST4s Red
1961 Velocette in 1953 Featherbed

https://www.facebook.com/BlackHorseLogging

RockingM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 7:48 pm   #109 (permalink)
jrt

I understand the electrolytic action of dissimilar metals...but I thought the engines (crankcase/cylinder/head) were aluminum everyplace that coolant flows.
Am I mistaken here?
jrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 7:55 pm   #110 (permalink)
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)

If it means anything , I would buy a 2013 multi without undue concern.

I am curious however about why the diavel does not suffer the same problem. It was my understanding that the basic engine design is identical and it was simply the air / fuel inputs that gave it the extra ponies.
w0mb2t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.