Maintaining the titanium matte paint - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 8:14 pm   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Sounds like a normal BMW line..."use our cleaners otherwise your paint will fall off".
Dr Beasley wants to sell you their matte paint cleaner, and use BMW as a reference:

BMW Matte Paint Care Guidelines | Frozen Paint Care | Matte Car Care |

Good video

Frank, '05 ST3, (Red!!)
"Veni, Vidi,....Ducati!!"
stryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 9:49 pm   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Fowler View Post
I had an ST4s that was basically the same color. I used Honda Spray Polish and Cleaner on it and it worked great. Great on all the black plastic also.
Unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken, Honda Spray Polish is not available anymore.
archimedio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:45 pm   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
again, try the 3M "frosted" film.....it's transparent.....the only thing you see are the edges. do the forks in the traditional clear while you're at it.

or don't.

not worrying about the paint is worth more than i paid for the kit to get installed.

see ya,
Appreciate the suggestion but I have an aversion to protective plastic, whether it be on my iphone, my couch, or my car/bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder View Post
Dr Beasley wants to sell you their matte paint cleaner, and use BMW as a reference:

Good video
Very interesting and helpful, thanks. I may give this a try.

Last edited by eye.surgeon; Jul 1st, 2012 at 10:55 pm.
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:35 am   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder View Post

Good video
Dr Beasley wants $80 for their matte paint sealant!
raymondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:30 am   #15 (permalink)

I've done a bit of research on this since starting the thread. The Dr. Beasley products look ideal but quite expensive. Ironically a lot of info on matte paint comes from HD riders since HD has been using their "denim" (matte) finish for a long time. A lot of their riders swear by washing with dawn and spot cleaning with windex. HD actually recommends this. They also sell their own spot cleaner for matte paint. Some purists would gasp at doing this.

I also found this stuff which looks promising, and is fairly cheap. I actually ordered some.

Bottom line is, you shouldn't use any type of wax or spray containing silicants, shining agents, or polishes on the matte finish.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 1:02 pm   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy fowler View Post
i had an st4s that was basically the same color. I used honda spray polish and cleaner on it and it worked great. Great on all the black plastic also.
+1
PaulST4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 5:15 pm   #17 (permalink)
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
Appreciate the suggestion but I have an aversion to protective plastic, whether it be on my iphone, my couch, or my car/bike.
you're welcome. you do understand that scratches and/or blemishes in the paint are not reparable, yes? i suppose they are, but at a cost of replacing the actual plastic fairing parts. the small, top piece around the fuel filler neck is over $300 if i'm not mistaken.

see ya,

past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 5:31 pm   #18 (permalink)

I understand that, I just can't bring myself to put protective plastic on it. I have the same issue with the clear bra type automotive protection, I like to keep it natural. I'm not a scratcher so I'm not too worried about it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 6:52 pm   #19 (permalink)
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Any experience with cleaning and maintaining the matte paint on the titanium multistrada? I assume you can't wax it. So what do you do instead of wax to protect it from the elements and keep it looking good?
Quote:
I've done a bit of research on this since starting the thread. .......

I also found this stuff which looks promising, and is fairly cheap. I actually ordered some.

Bottom line is, you shouldn't use any type of wax or spray containing silicants, shining agents, or polishes on the matte finish.
Looks like you're all set.

past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 7:02 pm   #20 (permalink)

My wife works at an HD shop. They sell lots of products that are reportedly designed for maintaining "denim" paint finishes. However, I know for a fact that the only detailing spray they use in their shop is Windex.
I know a couple of painters that swear by it as well.
JackN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement