Ducati extended warranty - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:15 am   #1 (permalink)

Ducati extended warranty

I got my '11 Multi right at the end of 2010, so the factory warranty expires in late Dec. this year. There's nothing out there for the time being that I'd consider replacing it with, though I admit the new water-cooled BMW GS will be something I'll take an interest in. The thought of owning any of these new bikes without a warranty is a scary one, and it appears I'll have this at least another year, so I'm considering the Ducati extended warranty.

Has anyone bought one, or have an opinion of them? I haven't looked at the details closely, but does it cover everything the original contractual warranty covers? What are you guys paying for them?
1998 900SS/FE #118
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:57 am   #2 (permalink)

I bought one when I got mine, and to be honest, I haven't looked at the details very closely, but it's a 5 year extended (on top of the 2 year factory) warranty, so 7 years protection, and I paid $800. I'm guessing it's valid only at the dealer I bought it at, but it's (supposedly) equally complete as the factory warranty's coverage. YMMV.
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:00 pm   #3 (permalink)

The extended warranty my dealer

Go AZ Motorcycles Scottsdale, AZ 480-609-1800

offers covers everything the original does. I don't remember exactly what I paid but, it seemed very reasonable. It can be implemented at any time before the original expires.

Good luck.

AK
AKjitsu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:32 pm   #4 (permalink)

Extended warranties are great deals.

For the dealers/manufacturers...
archimedio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:40 pm   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedio View Post
Extended warranties are great deals.

For the dealers/manufacturers...
If you actually ride your Ducati, they can also be great deals for the buyer too!

Never a doubt in my mind about buying an extended warranty if I know I'll be keeping and actually riding my Duc for a few years past the OEM warranty. My justification is always the experience I had with my ST4s. I rode it for 82,000 miles over 5 years. I bought a 3 year extended warranty for around $750. By the end of the term, it had paid out over $12,000 in repairs, including an engine rebuild at 72,000 miles when a main bearing started failing!

2013 GREY Multistrada 1200s GT
2013 Matt Graphite Triumph Scrambler 900
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:59 pm   #6 (permalink)
Resident Raggamuffin

given the history of the bikes and the incorporated electronics, the extended warranty is a great deal for both current owners and prospective owners of used bikes. it's my thought that those bikes that carry such will hold their value much better than those without.

cheap insurance for certain.

past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 1:14 pm   #7 (permalink)

Just curious about something.

My two years are up in August of this year. Am I going to get some kind of notice/offer from the Dealer or Ducati before that date: or is it up to me to make the first move on this?

I've never had anybody, including my Dealer, try to sell me an extended warranty as of this point.

Dan
DanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 1:22 pm   #8 (permalink)
Resident Raggamuffin

as far as i know, the "EverRed Warranty" is no longer being offered at the dealership level. other non-manurfaturer associated warranty programs are available and typically at a discount to the aforementioned.

past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 2:33 pm   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
cheap insurance for certain.
Companies don't make money selling 'cheap insurance'.

And let me tell you, these companies make a lot of money selling extended warranties. It is one of the highest margin products sold by car and motorcycle manufacturers.
archimedio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 3:01 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
Just curious about something.

My two years are up in August of this year. Am I going to get some kind of notice/offer from the Dealer or Ducati before that date: or is it up to me to make the first move on this?

I've never had anybody, including my Dealer, try to sell me an extended warranty as of this point.

Dan
Your dealer probably won't contact you. It depends on what relationship you have with your dealer and what services they offer.

There is no 'official' program whereby Ducati will pursue you to buy an extended warranty. Most dealers will offer you an extended warranty up front when you buy a bike, but if you say no, it's up to you to follow up with them for an extended warranty before your OEM warranty runs out.

2013 GREY Multistrada 1200s GT
2013 Matt Graphite Triumph Scrambler 900
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement