does your front in feel drifty in turns? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:09 pm   #11 (permalink)

I agree with most of the above, namely stiffening up the rear to reduce any bump induced oscillations. Dropping the front a few mm will make very little difference apart from maybe slightly quicker turn in.

What will make a difference, is moving your body weight froward i.e. head right up near your inside hand. The extra weight forward seems to work wonders.

My 2c

PS: this bike is very sensitive to P.I.O.s (pilot induced oscillations) especially with its combination of long travel suspension and wide handlebars. Often when the front moves around in a turn it's the result of an unintentional input from the rider. After hopping off my GSXR (much heavier steering) it sometimes takes a few corners to retrain myself for the "sensitive" front end on the Multi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:59 pm   #12 (permalink)

As a slight aside.

To all you guys who think the MTS is undersprung.

Do Italian made "slim fit" shirts not even come close to fitting you and are only for skinny metrosexuals?

Are Italian shoes small and narrow?

Just curious.

2010 MTS1200S Sport Black
Standard exhaust
TimOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 2:50 am   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333calvin View Post
but admittedly the wife is not the best of passengers despite how many rides she's been on she thinks the top box = la-z-boy!
that might be the clue why you are running wide.
When my wife started riding with me, she sat up a couple of times midway through corners and I almost shat my pants. The bike just wants to go straight when she did that.
Bad pillion behavior/posture can cause you a lot of oversteer.

Now that she is used to riding, we do a lot if twisties and single riders must try hard to keep up

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

2012 Titanium Multistrada 1200S Touring
kma_jg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 4:03 am   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOz View Post
As a slight aside.

To all you guys who think the MTS is undersprung.

Do Italian made "slim fit" shirts not even come close to fitting you and are only for skinny metrosexuals?

Are Italian shoes small and narrow?

Just curious.
TIM OZ,

I think your right on it....If most of us are honest, and too continue the stereotype, I'm sure we (The forum appears to be mostly US, Assie, UK, and Canadian) out weight the "average" Italian test rider by a fairly large amount. I weight about 190 lbs and am fairly big compared to the average Italian...(and I do live in Italy).

I am still working on mine, but to me the front end has never felt planted and totaly confident, (when pushed pretty hard). I did come over from a Fireblade, and super stiff MX race bike. I really hope the Andreani Group Cartridges and Ohlins shock will help it feel planted when pushed hard.
NSR250R
H2 Kawi 2-stroke triple
CBR900RR (Gone)
CBR600 (Gone)
CRM250 (Gone)
many others long gone...
TiDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 7:15 am   #15 (permalink)

I also had that vauge front end feel and I'm not 2 up. I tried everything from maxing out suspesion setting to dialing in my own. When I dropped the cat off and installed a mid pipe the front got worse. The cat is about 9kg so a lot of weight was shed, but I think the culpret is the Pirelli Scorpions. I have just shod mine with a new set of Conti Sport Attacks and the front feels much better. Oh and the rear is a 190/50/17 not a 55 because I had these tyres on the shelf for my Beemer. I have 2 more sets to get through before I go back to a 55 profile. To be honest I can't tell the difference from a 55 to a 50 profile on this bike.
JonnyWodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 11:55 am   #16 (permalink)

The vagueness you speak of is something I have always experienced two up.
The suspension is ok when all maxed out, for me alone so I have not changed the spring.
Might try the fork raising for the occasional weekend away with the wife.

[ Current Rides ]
Gas Gas Raga Replica
Husky TE450
KTM 690 Enduro Rally Raid
Hypermotard 1100S
Multistrada 1200S
minusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 6:45 am   #17 (permalink)

I found mine wandered more than my other bikes till I closed the throttle out of the corner and the front wheel hit the deck and headed in the direction I expected!

I find the scorpions awesome when matched with traction control - I can hit the throttle stops out of a tight corner and all I get is a wiggle out of the rear end as the dtc kicks in and does its job. On my S4RS on super corsa's doing the same manoever caused the rear end to try and overtake the front end.

Just my 2 cents....
Honda VF1100C 1983
Honda CB900 Hornet
Ducati S4RS Tricolore Monster - sold
Ducati 900SS - sold
+ another 27 more... sold
kwizikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 7:39 am   #18 (permalink)

I weigh 165.

Never two up.

And the front end seems to know what I'm thinking almost before I think it.

Default single rider no bags is perfect.

Sport mode requires maybe a touch more concentration when tipping in.

Dan
DanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement