My MTS 1200 LOST 40 HORSEPOWER! - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:38 am   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatiowner View Post
I was thinking being able to get over 140 HP is pretty baffling. Am I wrong?
Meh, depends on the dyno. Best way to gauge it would be to take it to the strip and look at what the bike is trapping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:57 am   #12 (permalink)

It's the Campbell soup can they strapped on that bitch.

Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 6:36 am   #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=whistle;1321941]I could be wrong but there must be something else here. 40 hp because of a baffle is, well, baffling. Especially coming from LV.

It's not the baffle,( muffler), its the DB killer, a piece of metal that looks like a half dollar coin with just 6 pencils size hole in it. It really restricts the air flow going through the system and plugs up (f-cks-up ) flow. Kind of like shoving a potato into the rear of a exhaust tip. (mean old trick).
Doug saying our bike with just one exhaust pipe, really need it to flow compared to dual piped superbikes.
2012 Pikes Peak#149
http://gregzrust.com/blog/
www.GregZrust.com
Duc PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 11:43 pm   #14 (permalink)

I too was a little baffled (no pun intended!!) at such a huge loss in power, but in a conversation with Chris (CJS) he mentioned one system in Europo call refer e that uses a restrictor before the muffler that cost him 17HP.
Big difference between 17 and 45!!
But I checked anyway. 5-10mm holes. 392 square mms.
Compared to 2,290 square mm for the pipe. 17% of the area of the pipe.
I couldn't start tuning until I figured it out. You must not [waste your time] tuning a broke engine!!!!
Typically a dB killer is the insert at the rear of the muffler. The LV does have one of those too. I prefer to call it an HP killer!
Once that was out of the picture, I proceeded with the tuning. This is my first Mitsubishi ECU tune, with new software, but it isn't my first ride on the merry-go-'round. (I have used the rest of the tools.)
Once I pulled the cork out of the pipe, it felt like a Ducati instead of a Moto Guzzi. (ouch!!!!)

I don't understand why Greg's is the first, (maybe I'm invisible, or am I not spending enough time self-promoting?) but now that I have the tools and the knowledge....

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
My MTS 1200 LOST 40 HORSEPOWER!-gz-post-hp-killer-vs-final.jpg  
moperfserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 9:17 pm   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moperfserv View Post
I too was a little baffled (no pun intended!!) at such a huge loss in power, but in a conversation with Chris (CJS) he mentioned one system in Europo call refer e that uses a restrictor before the muffler that cost him 17HP.
Big difference between 17 and 45!!
But I checked anyway. 5-10mm holes. 392 square mms.
Compared to 2,290 square mm for the pipe. 17% of the area of the pipe.
I couldn't start tuning until I figured it out. You must not [waste your time] tuning a broke engine!!!!
Typically a dB killer is the insert at the rear of the muffler. The LV does have one of those too. I prefer to call it an HP killer!
Once that was out of the picture, I proceeded with the tuning. This is my first Mitsubishi ECU tune, with new software, but it isn't my first ride on the merry-go-'round. (I have used the rest of the tools.)
Once I pulled the cork out of the pipe, it felt like a Ducati instead of a Moto Guzzi. (ouch!!!!)

I don't understand why Greg's is the first, (maybe I'm invisible, or am I not spending enough time self-promoting?) but now that I have the tools and the knowledge....

Doug
Wow, that is a massive loss of power. Go with more noise I say!
whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 9:54 pm   #16 (permalink)

Wow, you guys can't believe how much better my bike runs now! Way way snappier, and I don't just mean the added horsepower at the top of the chart. What I'm talking about is low rpm 2,500 -3,500 rpm Instant response. No more surging and lurching. Doug got rid of all the weird quirks, no need for adding electronic things to readjusted fueling issues. Do it the correct way! Dyno it!
I believe Doug told me the stock air/ fuel ratio is like 14.3 to 1. The EPA might like it, but we really want it to be, 13.? To 1 for good throttle response . I'll ride it around for a few weeks, then report back with more.
If any you guys reading this are within travel range to Minneapolis MN, Doug will make it worth your while, ( and your Ducati with Love you!)
2012 Pikes Peak#149
http://gregzrust.com/blog/
www.GregZrust.com
Duc PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 10:11 pm   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc PP View Post
Wow, you guys can't believe how much better my bike runs now! Way way snappier, and I don't just mean the added horsepower at the top of the chart. What I'm talking about is low rpm 2,500 -3,500 rpm Instant response. No more surging and lurching. Doug got rid of all the weird quirks, no need for adding electronic things to readjusted fueling issues. Do it the correct way! Dyno it!
I believe Doug told me the stock air/ fuel ratio is like 14.3 to 1. The EPA might like it, but we really want it to be, 13.? To 1 for good throttle response . I'll ride it around for a few weeks, then report back with more.
If any you guys reading this are within travel range to Minneapolis MN, Doug will make it worth your while, ( and your Ducati with Love you!)
+1.

You will never know how well your Multi can run untill you get each cylinder properly mapped. Let the pros do it

Last edited by whistle; Apr 15th, 2012 at 10:13 pm. Reason: extra quote deleted
whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 3:52 am   #18 (permalink)
Moderator, Do not mess with!

Quote:
This is exactly the same experience i had after Tom at Hypertrick did mine.. The before was "ok" but surging and such happened.. After the tune it pulls happily from 2500rpm up to redline.

Thank heaven for tuners who know how to fix an issue the right way the first time!
Former bikes: -97 748SP, -98 916SPS, -04 BMW F650CS
amullo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 6:24 am   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Poster Award

So you put the Leo Vince on and it lost power .
Did you notice the power loss difference from stock?
Seems you must have...
Did it run that much worse after the Leo Vince was installed ?
So now you MUST run it without the DB Killer ,making it "TOO LOUD"?

Could one alter the DB Killer (make the holes larger ) to quiet it down some? To an "Acceptable " Level . Where the neighbours aren't going to hate you , or you get ear ringing after a longer ride?
Losing that much power after spending that much money is Not the way to go.
MTScott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 7:30 am   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you it wasn't in the urban or rain mode the first time you took it in?
number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement