Steering "unlock error" - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 9:13 pm   #1 (permalink)

Steering "unlock error"

Just had this happen today. Go to hop on the bike after a great Easter weekend. Everything lit up but the steering wouldn't unlock! Talk about panic! Tried it a few times to no avail. Even the did the pin code a few times with no result. Seem to remember someone talking about this but after a search, no dice! Bummer! Trouble free up till this point. Good thing I was at a friends house and not somewhere strange. I had issues with it not locking if there was any radio interference. usually around businesses with Alarms.

Any experience with this? If so, what did you have to do to correct it?!
deeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2012, 9:21 pm   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeper View Post
Just had this happen today. Go to hop on the bike after a great Easter weekend. Everything lit up but the steering wouldn't unlock! Talk about panic! Tried it a few times to no avail. Even the did the pin code a few times with no result. Seem to remember someone talking about this but after a search, no dice! Bummer! Trouble free up till this point. Good thing I was at a friends house and not somewhere strange. I had issues with it not locking if there was any radio interference. usually around businesses with Alarms.

Any experience with this? If so, what did you have to do to correct it?!
I had this happen on my 2010. Your hands free unit is shot. Get the dealer to pick it up and replace the unit. There is no alternate fix that I'm aware of. Sorry man.

You can loosen the bars and slide them up and over the locking mechanism to assist in getting it on a trailer.

Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:35 pm   #3 (permalink)

The only time I've had my steering not unlock is when there was pressure being applied to the pin during the unlock sequence. My solution is to turn the bike off, turn the bars to full lock so there is no pressure on the pin, and turn the bike on. Fixes it every time.

-SM
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone:
Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 6:47 am   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The only time I've had my steering not unlock is when there was pressure being applied to the pin during the unlock sequence. My solution is to turn the bike off, turn the bars to full lock so there is no pressure on the pin, and turn the bike on. Fixes it every time.

-SM
Same here. Any pressure will cause a unlock error on my bike.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 4:56 pm   #5 (permalink)

Location: Niagara Falls, , Oh! Canada; we stand on cars and freeze.
Mine failed to unlock because the sensor (that detects a lockable position for the computer) on top of the frame at the head, below the bars, broke. Ducati Assistance or a dealer with a truck is your option in that case.
'80 Masi TreVolumetrica Campagnolo 7
'04 Kona NuNu Shimano 21
Deus Impedito Esuritori Nullus - No god can stop a hungry man.
fatiredflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 5:13 pm   #6 (permalink)
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)

i have never activated the lock .. partly cause i think they are over rated and i dont bother with my other bikes as well , but also cause id be pissed if it failed . which reminds me , has anyone tried disabling the lock all together ?
w0mb2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 6:22 am   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mb2t View Post
i have never activated the lock .. partly cause i think they are over rated and i dont bother with my other bikes as well , but also cause id be pissed if it failed . which reminds me , has anyone tried disabling the lock all together ?
I stopped activating my steering lock in 2010 when there were known issues with it & although I've had the re-call done haven't operated it since. Now I can't remember how to do it!
Anthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 2:44 pm   #8 (permalink)
North Carolina, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthil View Post
I stopped activating my steering lock in 2010 when there were known issues with it & although I've had the re-call done haven't operated it since. Now I can't remember how to do it!
Same here. Afraid to use the stupid thing (I never got the hands free update either). My anti-theft regimen is to park in conspicuous locations, a cable lock for my stuff, and full coverage insurance...
mollycbr123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 9:49 pm   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycbr123 View Post
Same here. Afraid to use the stupid thing (I never got the hands free update either). My anti-theft regimen is to park in conspicuous locations, a cable lock for my stuff, and full coverage insurance...
+1. The only true defense against theft is good insurance. And after all of the horrible experiences with the steering lock reported on the forum, I'm afraid to use it.

Probably an unreasonable fear, but then most are . . .
kglesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 1:13 am   #10 (permalink)

Turns out they do have to replace it. About a week out. But I'm very happy I wasn't on a trip though I really need to take one! It's already tough going through the withdrawals of not having a bike as I ride year round except in snow. I'm seeing how easy it is to fall into NOT locking the bike but, Insurance or not, the inconvenience of a stolen bike knowing I didn't lock it would turn my stomach! Love the bike too much so I use the supplied deterrent.
deeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement