Steering "unlock error" - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 9:13 pm   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
deeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 72
Steering "unlock error"

Just had this happen today. Go to hop on the bike after a great Easter weekend. Everything lit up but the steering wouldn't unlock! Talk about panic! Tried it a few times to no avail. Even the did the pin code a few times with no result. Seem to remember someone talking about this but after a search, no dice! Bummer! Trouble free up till this point. Good thing I was at a friends house and not somewhere strange. I had issues with it not locking if there was any radio interference. usually around businesses with Alarms.

Any experience with this? If so, what did you have to do to correct it?!
deeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 9:21 pm   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL, USA
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeper View Post
Just had this happen today. Go to hop on the bike after a great Easter weekend. Everything lit up but the steering wouldn't unlock! Talk about panic! Tried it a few times to no avail. Even the did the pin code a few times with no result. Seem to remember someone talking about this but after a search, no dice! Bummer! Trouble free up till this point. Good thing I was at a friends house and not somewhere strange. I had issues with it not locking if there was any radio interference. usually around businesses with Alarms.

Any experience with this? If so, what did you have to do to correct it?!
I had this happen on my 2010. Your hands free unit is shot. Get the dealer to pick it up and replace the unit. There is no alternate fix that I'm aware of. Sorry man.

You can loosen the bars and slide them up and over the locking mechanism to assist in getting it on a trailer.
__________________
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”

Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 10:35 pm   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 750
The only time I've had my steering not unlock is when there was pressure being applied to the pin during the unlock sequence. My solution is to turn the bike off, turn the bars to full lock so there is no pressure on the pin, and turn the bike on. Fixes it every time.

-SM
__________________
Current:
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Sport - FOR SALE - PM me if interested
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone:
Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 6:47 am   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
-GREG-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: GA or NYC depending on the day, ,
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The only time I've had my steering not unlock is when there was pressure being applied to the pin during the unlock sequence. My solution is to turn the bike off, turn the bars to full lock so there is no pressure on the pin, and turn the bike on. Fixes it every time.

-SM
Same here. Any pressure will cause a unlock error on my bike.
__________________
2010 MTS ST
Full Termi
-GREG- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 4:56 pm   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
fatiredflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Niagara Falls, , Oh! Canada; we stand on cars and freeze.
Posts: 198
Mine failed to unlock because the sensor (that detects a lockable position for the computer) on top of the frame at the head, below the bars, broke. Ducati Assistance or a dealer with a truck is your option in that case.
__________________
'Flyer
'10 MTS1200ST
'09 Colnago C50 Campagnolo Record 10
'80 Masi TreVolumetrica Campagnolo 7
'04 Kona NuNu Shimano 21
Deus Impedito Esuritori Nullus - No god can stop a hungry man.
fatiredflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 5:13 pm   #6 (permalink)
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
 
w0mb2t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: sydney, , aust
Posts: 2,921
i have never activated the lock .. partly cause i think they are over rated and i dont bother with my other bikes as well , but also cause id be pissed if it failed . which reminds me , has anyone tried disabling the lock all together ?
w0mb2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 6:22 am   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Anthil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reading, Berks, United Kingdom
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mb2t View Post
i have never activated the lock .. partly cause i think they are over rated and i dont bother with my other bikes as well , but also cause id be pissed if it failed . which reminds me , has anyone tried disabling the lock all together ?
I stopped activating my steering lock in 2010 when there were known issues with it & although I've had the re-call done haven't operated it since. Now I can't remember how to do it!
Anthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 2:44 pm   #8 (permalink)
North Carolina, USA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthil View Post
I stopped activating my steering lock in 2010 when there were known issues with it & although I've had the re-call done haven't operated it since. Now I can't remember how to do it!
Same here. Afraid to use the stupid thing (I never got the hands free update either). My anti-theft regimen is to park in conspicuous locations, a cable lock for my stuff, and full coverage insurance...
mollycbr123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 9:49 pm   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycbr123 View Post
Same here. Afraid to use the stupid thing (I never got the hands free update either). My anti-theft regimen is to park in conspicuous locations, a cable lock for my stuff, and full coverage insurance...
+1. The only true defense against theft is good insurance. And after all of the horrible experiences with the steering lock reported on the forum, I'm afraid to use it.

Probably an unreasonable fear, but then most are . . .
__________________
2011 Multistrada 1200S Touring
2009 HD XR1200(X)
2001 HD Dyna FXD(X)
kglesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 1:13 am   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
deeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 72
Turns out they do have to replace it. About a week out. But I'm very happy I wasn't on a trip though I really need to take one! It's already tough going through the withdrawals of not having a bike as I ride year round except in snow. I'm seeing how easy it is to fall into NOT locking the bike but, Insurance or not, the inconvenience of a stolen bike knowing I didn't lock it would turn my stomach! Love the bike too much so I use the supplied deterrent.
deeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Wasp TMSD" - Top Mount Steering Damper wasp1000 Sport Classic 212 Apr 1st, 2013 3:11 am
A new "pick-up error" - and a fix TimOz Multistrada 7 Feb 19th, 2012 9:16 pm
What the hell is error code "34.0 Signal Panel Sensor"? st2lemans Superbikes 2 Jul 11th, 2010 5:13 am
Anyone want a "Kuan" style steering damper mount? boleador Sport Classic 3 Apr 1st, 2008 8:26 pm
Wanted "Kuan" steering damper bracket or recommended alternative solution hdavidson Sport Classic 21 Mar 1st, 2008 7:54 pm

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:45 pm.



Ducati.ms Web Community is powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum