FatDucs - 2011 MS 1200 Question - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 7:48 pm   #31 (permalink)

My Fat Ducs are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I use my '11 MTS 1200 for commuting everyday; about 60 miles round-trip. Very interested to see if I will be able to run 6 gear at 55 miles an hour without the engine problems we all have with it in stock form.

Keep hearing that the 14" front cam sprocket is a must for commuters like me. Will the gear ratio change be enough to push the gas mileage up higher? Really sucks paying over $4.25 for premium now and would like to get an extra 2-3 mpg without dropping my highway speed below 60 mph.
Delnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 9th, 2012, 8:19 pm   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
My Fat Ducs are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I use my '11 MTS 1200 for commuting everyday; about 60 miles round-trip. Very interested to see if I will be able to run 6 gear at 55 miles an hour without the engine problems we all have with it in stock form.

Keep hearing that the 14" front cam sprocket is a must for commuters like me. Will the gear ratio change be enough to push the gas mileage up higher? Really sucks paying over $4.25 for premium now and would like to get an extra 2-3 mpg without dropping my highway speed below 60 mph.
Sometimes in order to get a Ducati to run just right one might have to sacrifice the extra 10th of a mile per gallon, commuting is stop and go traffic and everything in between, if the gears are too hi you'll be shifting constantly between 1st and second, with the help of the 14 tooth you can just stay in second if you understand what I mean.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 5:03 pm   #33 (permalink)

FatDuc's

Thanking each of you for your input and candor on this subject.

Got to the point while riding to work a Friday ago in stop and go city traffic that the bike really, really pissed me off with all the stumbling below 3k, having to rev it up in traffic, pull in the clutch and coast to the next stop.

As soon as I got home, put in an order for FatDuc's.

Units arrived on Saturday, installed that night and took the inagural ride on Sunday morning.

Mucho moy better! Not 100% but at least 75% better than it was under 3k and now I can hold a steady speed in 6th gear on the Interstate without watching the speedo being erratic and the engine bucking.

Previously I had to ride way over the speed limit for things to smooth out - that's a lie of course - just trying to rationalize a need for a Escost lazer deflector! The FatDuc's were much cheaper - and easier to install!

No fuss, no muss, no speedo errors, no error indicators and no need to mess with the air screws.

Seems like there is a bit more mid range hit also.

Thanks again all but a special thanks goes out to Jason.

aka - Junious P. McBug

2011 MS 1200 ST
2010 BMW F650 GS (Wifes Bike)
1981 BMW R100S - EML Side Car Rig (Sold)
bugley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 5:46 pm   #34 (permalink)
North Carolina, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugley View Post
Thanking each of you for your input and candor on this subject.

Got to the point while riding to work a Friday ago in stop and go city traffic that the bike really, really pissed me off with all the stumbling below 3k, having to rev it up in traffic, pull in the clutch and coast to the next stop.

As soon as I got home, put in an order for FatDuc's.

Units arrived on Saturday, installed that night and took the inagural ride on Sunday morning.

Mucho moy better! Not 100% but at least 75% better than it was under 3k and now I can hold a steady speed in 6th gear on the Interstate without watching the speedo being erratic and the engine bucking.

Previously I had to ride way over the speed limit for things to smooth out - that's a lie of course - just trying to rationalize a need for a Escost lazer deflector! The FatDuc's were much cheaper - and easier to install!

No fuss, no muss, no speedo errors, no error indicators and no need to mess with the air screws.

Seems like there is a bit more mid range hit also.

Thanks again all but a special thanks goes out to Jason.
It might be my imagination, but it almost seems like the longer you have the fatducs on, the better they work. My initial impression was similar to your's, 75% improvement. Mine have been on the bike for almost 2 years now, and to me the fueling is at least 95% overall. Every blue moon I'll get a slight stumble, but nothing more. In cooler weather the fueling is near perfect.
mollycbr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 6:25 pm   #35 (permalink)

Just ordered a set, hope they work
C5Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 6:55 pm   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Pete View Post
Just ordered a set, hope they work
You and me both brother

Mine should be arriving any day now and looking forward to posting a review of my experience with them. Will stick with the stock exhaust setup for a while longer and see how it goes.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:04 am   #37 (permalink)

Fat Ducs

As noted earlier, installed FatDucs and they showed me an immediate 75% improvement in getting rid of the low rpm stuble, surging or whatever you choose to call it due to the EPA induced lean fueling from idle up to about 3,000 rpm's. Still have some symptoms from 2,500 - 3,000 but way better than before the FatDuc's.

Next quetion, has anyone installed the FatDuc's then installed the Termi slip on - without any type of mid pipe modifications?

If so, what are your observations? Did the Termi help or hurt the cause?

aka - Junious P. McBug

2011 MS 1200 ST
2010 BMW F650 GS (Wifes Bike)
1981 BMW R100S - EML Side Car Rig (Sold)
bugley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 4:38 pm   #38 (permalink)

+1 Results

Installed my new Fat Ducs last night and did my usual 60 mile commute to work today with them installed. They made a noticable difference immediately in the throttle response off idle. Very smooth compared to not having them on my stock exhaust. Biggest thing I noticed was the RPMs stick like glue to where ever I put the throttle postion to. No more bouncing of the tach (surging) letting the engine stay right where you want it to be. Found myself shifting up an extra gear where before I would feel horrible engine lag and bucking; no more!

Best $150 plus shipping sent on the bike thus far. Recommend them to anyone who is staying with the stock exhaust configuration for a while. I decided to wait until the perfect exhaust / computer tune is determined before I bite that expensive bullet. As for now, I'm very happy with drive of the bike with the addition of the Fat Ducs.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:41 pm   #39 (permalink)

That's great to hear , ordered tues, hope to get them in next week , I to have 50 mile trip to work and it sucks when I get stuck in traffic. Installed frame sliders Thursday but that didn't help with fueling lol
C5Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:46 am   #40 (permalink)

Anyone got a set of take-offs hit me up, and I will take them off your hands.

Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement