MTS1200 Seat Differences - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:24 am   #1 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

MTS1200 Seat Differences

I now this has been posted before but here are more details.

1) There is no clear way to determine by model year which seat is on the bike. We know that the 2010 has the old seat. Some 2011 bikes have the old seat. The 2012 bikes have the new seat except that some Pike's Peak Special Editions have the old style seat. The old and new seats do not appear to be interchangeable without changing out the pins on the subframe as well.

2) The main difference between old and new seats is that the rider seat on the new style do not have the 2 holes at the back. The seat pan is different and it mounts differently. The shape and size appears similar.

3) The passenger seat on the newer sets also have a different pan and is shorter by about 1-1.5". It appears to be short on the forward side to allow the 'larger' rider a bit more room. Personally I like the old longer passenger seat as it keeps me from sliding back during hard acceleration.

4) We have also been told that if you have the older seat that is spreading out at the front from the tank, it could be warrantied by Ducati, if your bike is still eligible.

1st pic show old passenger seat on top of new seat
2nd pic shows new rider seat without the aft holes
3rd pic shows old rider seat on top
4th pic shows old passenger seat on top
Attached Thumbnails
MTS1200 Seat Differences-img_1384.jpg   MTS1200 Seat Differences-img_1386.jpg   MTS1200 Seat Differences-img_1390.jpg   MTS1200 Seat Differences-img_1392.jpg  

Authorized Distributor of Rizoma, SC-Projects, Motovation Protection Accessories.

"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent. - Bob Dylan, Brownsville Girl"

See us on Facebook!
Motovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 12:26 pm   #2 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks! Very good of you to post that.
kglesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 2:12 pm   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motovation View Post
4) We have also been told that if you have the older seat that is spreading out at the front from the tank, it could be warrantied by Ducati, if your bike is still eligible.
Is this a common problem?? I'm looking to buy a used 2011 Touring (have not seen it in person though) and aside from not having some recalls performed, the bike has no issues (per seller, of course). I'll make sure to asking him about the seat (if he has noticed anything different, especially spreading that you had mentioned), but I wanted to see if this is a known / common problem.

Thanks!
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 2:28 pm   #4 (permalink)

So what are you saying?
That the new seat will not swop out with our bikes?
I've just got mine back from having the passenger seat cut away in a atempt to have more room, unlike you I hate having it stuck in my back, I'm still waiting to see what sargent seats come up with. That's the biggest complaint I've got is the seat.
JonnyWodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 2:36 pm   #5 (permalink)

@Jonny

Did you take you seat to the local upholstery place? You would be amazed at what some of these shops can do and it will probably cost you less than the Sergent's seat... I've taken my 848's seat and the guy did a great job adding gel to my seat with virtually no difference in height.

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 2:41 pm   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Is this a common problem?? I'm looking to buy a used 2011 Touring (have not seen it in person though) and aside from not having some recalls performed, the bike has no issues (per seller, of course). I'll make sure to asking him about the seat (if he has noticed anything different, especially spreading that you had mentioned), but I wanted to see if this is a known / common problem.

Thanks!
My 2010 spreads out at the front.....it has from the day I bought it though. I always thought it looked kinda funny or like something wasn't quite right, but its not a big deal to me.
For me the seat is super comfortable, I just wish there was a little wiggle room front to back to help on long rides. I start to squirm around after 5-6 hours in the saddle and the current design doesn't let you scoot your butt back at all.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 2:56 pm   #7 (permalink)
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

Thanks!
if any seat was going to spread , it would be on my bike - ridden by a fat prick for over 30,000k ..... i just looked and i dont think it has spread "noticeably" . in fact the seat attaches to tabs located on either side of the fuel tank to stop that very thing .
w0mb2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 3:00 pm   #8 (permalink)

Thanks gents!

If everything goes according to plan, I should have it in the next 2-3 weeks
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 3:47 pm   #9 (permalink)
Official Sponsor

For a few seats, including our 2010 it is spreading out quite a bit at the front. Even with the tabs hooked to the tank. We are getting it warrantied. Apparently they have an upgraded seat pan that is less likely to do that. We'll see if they send us the new style and pin or a better 'old' style seat.

For what it is worth our Pikes Peak has the DP seat with the red stitching but it is the old style seat with the holes and the longer passenger seat. That seat does not spread out at the front and it has more miles than our 2010 bike.

@Cerberus..if the bike you are getting is a 2011 then you are still under warranty and could probably get that taken care of. We did notice that not all seats are doing that. Ours is just unusually bad and has very low miles.
Attached Thumbnails
MTS1200 Seat Differences-img_1380.jpg   MTS1200 Seat Differences-img_1381.jpg  

Authorized Distributor of Rizoma, SC-Projects, Motovation Protection Accessories.

"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent. - Bob Dylan, Brownsville Girl"

See us on Facebook!

Last edited by Motovation; Mar 9th, 2012 at 3:53 pm.
Motovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 5:32 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
I just wish there was a little wiggle room front to back to help on long rides. I start to squirm around after 5-6 hours in the saddle and the current design doesn't let you scoot your butt back at all.
I feel the same way....and it seems the 2012 seat addresses this exact complaint.

I'm upgrading to the '12 seat! Would be great if someone could post the full set of part numbers needed (including the new attachment pin).
'95 900SS-SP #236
curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement