Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

white smoke from exhaust when cold

80K views 341 replies 65 participants last post by  tunastuna 
#1 ·
recently my bike started spewing thick white smoke when first started. It's not oily at all but does smell like unburnt gas. once engine temps starts registering on the dash the exhaust is nice and clear again.

anyone else seeing this, is it a side effect of the cold weather that's here now or maybe I got some bad gas? I don't remember it doing this last winter. It only happens when the bike is cold.

any ideas?

#8 ·
+1

Condensation in the sightglass is "normal" ,,, but less than desirable.
It means that there is some degree of moisture contamination.
You should look at changing your oil more frequently to minimise extent of this.

#13 ·
Not to sound alarmist, but if you didn't use these terms...

spewing thick white smoke when first started... does smell like unburnt gas.. once engine temps starts registering on the dash the exhaust is nice and clear again....I don't remember it doing this last winter...
..I would agree, it's normal condensation build up/burn off. But, when coolant is introduced into the combustion chamber through a head gasket leak, (or perhaps a water pump seal leak and into the crank case to a lesser extent), it will produce thick clouds of white smoke that has a certain sickly smell to it, not burnt gas, but an odd smell nonetheless. It too goes away when there's some heat/expansion in the engine. I hope it is "normal" but the way you describe it, for a rider like me who rides in cold weather and knows what condensation burn off looks like, "thick" does not describe it. Plenty of it? Yes, but not "thick." White? Yes, but not "thick." If it is a head gasket leak, it could be as easy as retorquing the heads. Hope it's not. :)

#14 · (Edited)
^ i had a head gasket leak on one of my SXV 550s and it was just as you described. it was "not normal" looking or when compared with the typical "white smoke" experienced on a cold winter day.

#16 ·
If you pull a plug, and it's "nice and clean", ie no tanish/rust or white colour or residue, it could be a gasket leak. After you park the hot bike, listen for a "drop-hiss" sound from the exhaust header. A leak down test might detect a leaky gasket as well afaik. Keep an eye on the rad coolant level before/after a ride.

#18 ·
thanks Arne. the symptoms look similar, mine has 21,000 miles and the coolant is low, it's at the min bar on the tank. one comment mentioned smelling like glycol which I think more closely matches my smell. :(

I'm dropping it at DucSea Saturday. I expect it will be there for a while.

#19 ·
SOME say that if you take the oil filler plug out and let the water vapour escape after you have given it a good warm up the whitish goo on the sight glass will be less...
JUST REMEMBER to put it back on tight . before next ride...

#20 ·
I brought my bike into my dealer today. We ran it side by side with the store demo to compare exhaust output. There's definitely some coolant leaking into mine, the smell is very noticeable once it warms up. I should know more next week when they have some time to really dig into it. I'm expecting the bike to be in the shop for several week, I hope it's done by Christmas.

Here's a video I shot in the driveway this morning.
MTS Smokey Exhaust - YouTube

#22 ·
thanks, I'm pretty sure I caught it early enough before too much damage was done. this will be all warranty work so I don't feel too bad and considering the time of year it's seems ideal to be out of service for a while.

I'll post up once I get the official diagnosis from the master tech.

#23 ·
Definitely coolant especially if you can smell the glycol. I wonder what the oil will look like once the bleed it off. Good thing it happened within the warranty period. Good luck and hopefully this was just an isolated issue.

#26 ·
Hey marty, sorry to hear this. At least, like you say, it's not the best riding season here.

#28 ·
Marty,

Omigosh, that video was, um, interesting. Sure hope things work out OK; please keep us in the loop.

And you were the first guy to take (and document) a real TRIP on the MTS1200; I remember it well, including the nasty weather. You're the man!

Sounds like your dealer is competent; glad you're taking it with a good attitude.

Cheers,

--Doc

#31 · (Edited)
latest from the dealer is a defective front cylinder head. coolant is leaking from the cooling jacket through the head and out the exhaust port. no damage to the combustion chamber, cylinder or valves. the inside of the front exhaust header and O2 sensor were super clean from the water passing through there which was another sign of water in the system.

replacement cylinder head on order from Italy, should be here in a week or so.

great diagnostics DucSea, thanks for the help. :D

#37 · (Edited)
I'd say this is all generally good news. Should be a relatively easy fix (a new head) with very little collateral damage. Just curious Marty, did you get an extended warranty when you bought the bike?

#46 ·
Make sure they check for leaks in the head casting it self, i have seen a 1098 head with about 1500 kilometers on it start loosing coolant from a small hole behind the exhaust valve.Thus would let the coolant leak into the exhaust header and do exactly what yours is doing.

#49 ·
i hate posting when something has gone bad, but i am in this case.

Been waiting for the verdict past week on mine. Dealer confirmed that head gasket gone.

I have another bike that i do enjoy rding so Im just glad that i recognised the syptoms and got it towed.

i would simply say that those that have had overheating issues/replaced radiator , should keep an eye on the coolant level for potential signs of trouble.

But then again , you should anyway.

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.