Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

14 tooth front sprocket, who has put one on?

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  sterik 
#1 ·
Ok 14 tooth quick mechanic's, give us rookies some instructions on how they go on.. What's needed, and how do we adjust the chain. Pictures please...
Tools needed, how the old .sprocket comes off, new goes on, etc ..
All us rookies thank you

#3 · (Edited)
1. Take off the clutch slave (not really necessary but it gives some room to work) This is a good time to clean the back of the slave from chain lube and road grime. Be careful not to loose the o-ring.

2. Take off the sprocket cover

3. Punch back the bent part of the safety washer

4. Loosen the sprocket nut. An impact wrench makes it really easy. If you don't have one, put the bike in 2nd and have somebody step on the rear brake.

5. Don't take the nut off yet and put the bike back in N

6. Take off the rear splash guard

7. Loosen the 2 big allen bolts on the swing arm (like you would do to adjust the chain) Open them all the way or take them out.

8. With the provided (piece of sh...) C shaped spanner tool, loosen the chain. Slide the chain off the rear sprocket (towards you makes it easier later) Watch your fingers!

9. Now the fun part begins, be patient because space is very tight. Take off the sprocket nut and the safety washer. Take off the front sprocket. Pull the chain as much forward to the engine housing as you can. If you have a second person have him / her hold it in place while you work the top and the bottom. As I said, it's very tight but it will come out eventually.

10. Now is a good time to straighten the safety washer a little bit.

11. Put everything back together in reverse order. Torque for the sprocket nut is 186 Nm +/- 5% (Thanks Motozen!).

Don't forget to put the bike in urban mode single rider which is rear preload at level 1 to adjust the chain tension.

Note : The two bolts on the rear hub are very critical. Do not over tighten them as you could damage the bearings. I torqued mine to 35 Nm 1-2-1

Now take your wheelie monster out for a spin, be careful, the bike feels very different, take your time to get used to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.