• My ABS rear brake works fine

Votes: 163 39.9%
  • My ABS rear brake does not work properly and is a safety hazard

Votes: 218 53.3%
  • My Non ABS brake works fine

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • My Non ABS brake does not work properly and is a safety hazard

Votes: 12 2.9%

MTS 1200 - Does your rear brake work or not?

91K views 495 replies 167 participants last post by  Buhgaboo 
#1 · (Edited)
After some (heated) discussion in numerous threads about the issue of problems with the rear brakes, I thought it would be helpul to get some more statstical information.

The hopefully more balanced results could be used to approach DNA if we
get enough votes and less emotions.

#36 ·
I am in this boat. I voted "Non ABS doesn't work" but realistically it functions, but it is the least powerful rear brake i have had a on disc braked bike. Reminds me of my old XR350 with its rear drum brake.

If I put a lot of pressure on it, the bike will slow, but it doesn't compare to my superhawk, KLX, KLR etc...

If you only commuted, especially 1 up, I wouldn't say it was a safety hazard, but riding on dirt/gravel and even touring, I like to have a good strong brake.

#380 ·
My 2010 is the same way after all the updates . But instead of bleeding , when I come back from a ride and the peddle starts to feel spongy . I wedge a piece of 1/2" pipe in to hold the peddle down . Pull the pipe out the next day and all my air is gone .Brake works fine.

#6 ·
True, I didn't want to make it too complicated but yes there should be a option to vote on inbetween. I can't change the poll, so maybe a mod could add 2 more options???, please???

"My ABS rear brake works ok but could use some improvement"

"My Non ABS rear brake works ok but could use some improvement"

For the time being pls. use 1 or 3 if you are ok with the performance of your brakes and 2 or 4 if not. This gives
at least an indication how wide spread the issue is.

#279 ·
I voted for "mine works just fine", but, in reality, the vote should be the first option above. Thanks for doing this, it's helpful to know how this issue is spread throughout the population.

#7 ·
I voted for my ABS rear brake working fine. While it does I would be remiss if I did not also mention that I am on master cylinder # 2 for the rear. As it turns out, my Ducati tech informed me that Ducati knows about an issue with the rear master cylinder. The long and the short of it is that there a components within the master cylinder that were not aligned. Having never taken the master cylinder apart, I admit that I am merely taking his word for it... but he has never steered me wrong...

Either way, the symptoms of this misalignment would be a loss in pressure at the rear brake lever, little to no force applied to the rear caliper pistons. Ultimately, you end up with a scenario where you have absolutely NO rear brake. Ask me how I know.

My tech ordered a new, properly manufactured rear master cylinder and replaced it under warrantee. This occurred when I had my DES ECU replaced as well. I also had the supplementary clamps put on my panniers as well. All in all the rear brake is fantastic now, and feels very positive. There is no excessive travel at the pedal, and braking force is immediate, and easy to modulate. Low speed maneuvering is a snap again! It's also very nice knowing I have 100% braking force again! Lastly I would like to point out that I have well surpassed the amount of miles where I would loose braking pressure by simply bleeding the rear. The fix seems like the real deal so far!

If you are having trouble with your rear brake, go in your dealership and insist that they replace the rear master cylinder under warrantee.

#11 ·
Rear brake

I think it is important to determine whether the problem is the brake itself or the problem is interference from the ABS.

To check this, turn the ABS off and give it a go. If the brake easily slides the rear wheel (mine does), the problem is the ABS settings. If the brake will NOT slide the rear wheel, the problem is the brake itself.

I improved brake action substantially by removing the pedal adjuster (screw and nut) completely. This moves the lever up about 0.7 inches, which then allows the actuator rod to be lengthened. The overall result is to move the brake engagement point up quite a bit.

I now have 8500 kms on the bike and I am completely satisfied with my rear brake - even though months go by without actually using it.:)

#12 · (Edited)
At 6,000km my rear brake still works fine.
I can get the ABS to chatter when I press hard and when I use it in general riding it does what it is supposed to do.
I did turn the ABS off once after reading the many posts about the brake here and it locked the rear wheel with reasonable pressure on the pedal.

My bike is a 2011; maybe Ducati sorted the bike out after early issues.

My dealer said a couple of other owners have had their brakes bled but they wondered whether this was because they had a problem or because they'd read all the negative comments and wanted to see if the brake would 'improve'.

I'll keep an eye on it but after 6,000km, I cant see it suddenly going bad.

One problem with it was that it's lever is too low from factory: that was easily adjusted

#13 ·
You won't get "balanced" on a discussion board. Over 10k MTS12's have been sold WW. Even if you get 100 responses (I doubt you will, but maybe....), that would only be 1% of the bikes out there....hardly a number that can be used to draw any conclusions from, or to use as "leverage" with Ducati. :(

-SM

#15 ·
If your rear brake does not hold the bike on a hill, then you have a specific problem.

Yes the rear brake does feel different and weaker than other motorcycles, but I feel the designers have done an excellent job in creating a rear brake that can be used to settle the bikes handling during spirited riding. It delivers better safety to the average punter.

A more informative poll might be one that reveals your last ride.
A BMW 1200 has far more weight on the back wheel and can utilise that characteristic appropriately.

#19 ·
I had mine bled and it seems to work better but still feels pretty weak. However, today I was mashing the pedal down and getting the ABS to activate. Next time Im out on the bike I need to disengage the ABS to see if it is really providing enough power to lock up the rear. I doubt it!!

#21 ·
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/117305-mts-1200-does-your-rear-brake-work-

My original rear master cylinder was bled three times.Each time the pedal would start to fade after about three weeks and I'd have full pedal travel and no rear brake. After master cylinder was replaced,pedal was much better than when bike was brand new.After two weeks pedal faded a little,bled again,seems to be o k for now. 2010 mts touring abs.

#22 ·
Where's the option that is sort of works, but isn't a safety hazard.

My rear brake was bled at the first service but it is slowly degrading to shit again. Is it a safety issue? Not yet. But I certainly want beefy rear brake it the need should arise. Let ME choose how to use my rear brake instead of taking it away from me completely and telling me I don't need it. :rolleyes:

#23 ·
Couple hundred miles on my rear brake bleed job and it's still solid. I pulled the caliper and bleed it up by the handle bars with Castrol SRF brake fluid. If the bleed job didn't include putting the caliper up that high then try it. Bleeding in place didn't work for me

#29 ·
I bought the bike in September 2010 and since then the dealer has bled the system 5 times and I have done so twice. Once bled I have a hard pedal for about 300 miles then the pedal is all the way down and nothing much happens when pressure is applied.

During the Laguna Seca weekend I talked with one of the Ducati guys and explained the brake problem He stated that Ducati is aware that this is a problem on "some bikes" and that a service bulletin will be issued to dealers within 30 days. Let's hope they come out with a fix that works. Interesting that this doesn't seem to be a problem on the 1198S, must be a different system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.