Multistrada vs. KTM 990 SMT? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Multistrada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 8:02 am   #21 (permalink)

I was in the same situation as yourself, comparing the KTM SMT vs the MTS 1200.

I decided on the MTS because I could do a demo ride, I didn't like the flat black color and the huge seat. The MTS seat is much more comfortable for rider and passenger. My wife and I have done multiple 350 mile days 2 up, without a complaint. I don't know many bikes where a passanger can do that mileage and not complain. I know I could do a 1000 mile day solo without an issue.

I went with a standard MTS without ABS. When I did the math, adding the top case, large saddle bags, center stand and full system I came out ahead.

The suspension on the base MTS is excellent. Once I did a few hundred miles, I dialed in the damping and spring preload front and rear. I don't need electronic suspension, because I ride 99% on pavement and most of the roads are the same.

I didn't like the stock tires though. I've since put on michelins Pilot Road 2 CTs, the feeling is much better for me.

I would buy an MTS again like Dr Greg. One of the best bikes I've ever thrown a leg over.
tunastuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 4:47 am   #22 (permalink)

My experience

Hi,

I owned the KTM SMT before my 1200 Multi and sold it to buy the Multi. The KTM is a great bike and more nimble than the Ducati. For solo riding it is a blast.

What I didn't like about the bike was touring two up. A bit small I felt and my wife is not as tall as yours. The rider cockpit is a bit more cramped too.

I have no regrets about the Multi. It is a great bike and very fun to ride. Thought not as nimble, it is not a boring bike at all to ride. My wife loves it for two up and can sit on the back for hours.

Of course I am biased towards the Duc as that is what I have now. I would still buy the Duc over the SMT for my riding.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
Currently riding a 2002 Honda Superhawk (996 V twin, carbed sport bike).

I bought it new and put 37 000 miles on it, including a few track days.

I am unfortunately at the cross roads where I mainly use it for commuting as if I ride more then an hour, my knees get very stiff. If my wife and I both ride somewhere, we are very uncomfortable within an hour.

I used to ride a KLR 650. I miss the the comfort and the ability to ride on 4wd roads. I have a KLX250R I used for my dirt fix, but miss the exploring I used to do on the old KLR.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to the local bike shop and spent a few hours browsing and looking at all the new models. (5 deg and 6" of powder, so no test drives for sure!).

The Multistrada had not made my list before due the price ($20k) in all the reviews. However they had the base model, with MSRP of $14500, and all of sudden, it was a contender.

I had crossed the 1150 GS, the Super Tenere, and even the Varadero off my list due to weight. I would like to stay close to my Superhawk (~450 lb dry) and equal or exceed its 100 hp.

The 800 GS and the Tiger 800 XC seem a little less powerful but i haven't seen either in person yet.

My preconcieved notion was i wanted a SuperMoto 990 T. I also was considering the Adventure (non R due to better passenger seat). I liked both, but felt the SMT was easier to balance in the show room, and I liked the appearance and no ABS better.

The big thing that got our interest was the passenger seat on the Ducati. My wife felt it was noticably more comfortable, and when we pulled it off, much larger then the KTM's. Not to mention the two piece showed promise.

Sorry for the long winded post!

So my question, how is the passenger comfort? She is 5'10", 150 lb, I am 190 lb, 6' 2". Any comparisons with other adevnturers? She felt out of all the bikes at the dealer(KTM, KLR, V Strom, Versys) the Goldwing was the only one with a more comfortable seat.

We would probably do a hard or semi hard top bag on either with a backrest.

I am scared of the electronics, I have seen some of the information on the key, (I really would prefer a normal key), but any other issues on that front?

The new valve design sounds good, is any other maintenance (other then tires ) required after the intial 600 mile to 15k miles? My Superhawk has only had 1 set of fork seals, brake pads, tires, chain, sprockets, oil, and air/oil filters in 37k miles. I don't have a lot of free time and i want to ride, not wrench when I have the time.

Any regrets to buying the Multistrada?

How is the performance on rough dirt roads? I would like to be able to do the Alpine loop, and some of the other passes in Colorado, as well as some the neat things around Moab. Just stuff i would take my 3/4 ton stock pickup on, but more then I would be comfortable to do on my Superhawk, especially two up.

Anyone haul one on a reciever rack? We will probably ease into sport touring, but would like to take it with us and explore once we are at a destination. The Superhawk is no problem to load in the bed and I have seen plenty on the reciever racks.

The power sounds fantastic. The sales guy was absolutely sold on the Ducati, even though they are a leading KTM, Aprilla, Honda, Kawi and Suzuki dealer and he owned a Tl1000S. He said his next bike would be Multistrada.

Personally, I like the simplicity of the KTM, but I will get in a lot more riding days if the old lady is willing to ride, so that part is critical.

Thanks! Great forum you have here.
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:34 am   #23 (permalink)

I was racked by this same question. This was a good test by MCN, and they had a passenger along. Her answer near the end of the video about passenger comfort sealed the deal for me since that was going to be a major factor.

The KTM is a damn good bike, and is better off road, but if you are going to ride two up and be on pavment most of the time, the MTS is the better bike for the passenger by a very long margin.

Of course with the money you save on the KTM, you can probably put a whole bunch of trick stuff on there to improve passenger comfort.
MTS Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 7:30 pm   #24 (permalink)

Thanks!

More great info! Really enjoying this forum. Snow is flying, so I can surf the web more then ride.

Did sit on a GSA1200 in the showroom yesterday. Also comfy, but just seems acient compared to the Ducati, not to mention slower and heavier. Probably will test ride one though. Haven't found a Super Tenere to ride yet, but definitely leaning towards a nice red MTS.
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:33 pm   #25 (permalink)

my wife rides with me a lot. even on the little 230. i know when its time to take a break when she bounces of my back from falling asleep. her favorite is still the goldwing. we have had two and she wants another. but she says the multi is a close second. we have put a lot of miles on the FJR and she thought that was fairly comfy until we got the multi. worse bike to her so far was the radian.

14 Honda Grom Red "minitard"
12 Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring Red "Multard II"
09 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s black "Tard"
09 Honda CRF230L X2
08 Yamaha FJR1300 black "Betty"
69 Keiser/Jeep M35A2 WO/W camo "HULK"
58 Dodge M37A1 WO/W OD "Mini me"
68 AM/General M543A2 W/W camo, the wife rolled her eyes hard at this one. may be approaching my limit.
joshuaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:38 pm   #26 (permalink)

Just came home after 2555km two up, fully loaded on the MTS and the missus said it was great. This includes some pretty horrible B roads and some dirt/sand/gravel/corrugated rock etc. We did need to stretch the legs occasionally, as you would on any bike, but she commented that she could not have done that trip on the previous bike (VFR800).
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 1:56 am   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
You want a KTM. Contact Bill Mayer for a custom seat for you and the missus and you're off! I highly recommend the Adventure, cause in my experience anything with a 17" front wheel is scary off road, and I'm talking loose gravel roads and deeper.

I have 19/17 Woody's Wheelworks wheels on mine and it's perfect for whatever I throw at it. I still ride probably 75% pavement and don't feel I'm giving up anything to a pure pavement bike, plus I can keep going when the roads vanish. I can fix it with a hammer, too!

The KTM's key is still a selling point but otherwise the red seems cool

Last edited by Ramv; Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 2:07 am   #28 (permalink)

A mate has the KTM and after a short ride away with his wife on the back (she refused to get on the back until something was done about the seat) so the seat is currently in at an upholsterer being modified significantly for both the rider and the pillion. I have ridden both the SMT and the MTS and there is not comparison re looks, power, comfort, set up flexibility, economy, sound. A no brainer from my perspective!!
Flog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 2:14 am   #29 (permalink)

True I have never owned a KTM. Personally I liked the looks/color better then the Multi (opinion!!!) but reading this site and ADVrider.com. it seems the multi is faster, better on fuel and more comfortable. Not ot mention, potentially more reliable. Never heard a 990, so can't comment on sound. The Multi seems very quiet in stock form. Like I said, I bought it as a 2-up touring and I think/agree it i well suited to that, but the key thing is a rproblem right now.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:37 am   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
True I have never owned a KTM. Personally I liked the looks/color better then the Multi (opinion!!!) but reading this site and ADVrider.com. it seems the multi is faster, better on fuel and more comfortable. Not ot mention, potentially more reliable. Never heard a 990, so can't comment on sound. The Multi seems very quiet in stock form. Like I said, I bought it as a 2-up touring and I think/agree it i well suited to that, but the key thing is a rproblem right now.
Ram, as I posted in the other thread, the PIN code thing is not an issue......

Doh! Never mind. You actually need to know the old PIN in order to set a new PIN. Hopefully the dealer can do that for you via their diagnostic tools.

-Sock Monkey

Last edited by Sock Monkey; Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:10 am. Reason: Doh! Never mind the crazy Monkey.....
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement