Starter not turning over with good battery - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2017, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Starter not turning over with good battery

Sorry for the barrage of posts, I just have no experience with Ducati's prior to this bike. It's a finicky little thing. I replaced all the fuel lines, re did some of the wiring and got the Tach to work(not speedometer though yet) and I started up the bike to make sure everything was still working. It started up pretty good and then it died, and when I tried to start it again, nothing. As in didn't even turn over the starter. The headlight would go dim but no sound whatsoever, not even a clicking...
Is there a fuse I might have blown that I need to replace? I'm going to try it again later and see what happens, I kindof suspect overcharge but not 100% sure. My voltage meter broke last fall and I haven't bought another one yet so I don't have any readings to share with you.
Any ideas? I took some heavy gauge wire and went from the battery terminal to the starter and the starter cranked over. But nothing when I tested each side of the solenoid. Suppose the solenoid is fried? Or something else to blame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2017, 11:57 am

What year/model Monster? Are you able to check your voltage from the menus?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2017, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

1995 M900

And I dont have a voltage gauge. I just have a few indicators, a tach, and a speedo.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2017, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

I usually don't ask for much help on mechanical things, but electrical things I generally ask for a few opinions, because it's so easy to mess up.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2017, 2:40 pm
Official Sponsor

Check the 2 wire plug that goes into the solenoid to see if it is loose.

If you touched the side of the solenoid that goes to the starter and did not get the starter to turn, then that is very strange.

The M900 series is one of the more problem prone for starting issues.

The fact that the light dims when you hit the starter button could mean the battery is low *OR* that the starter is drawing excess current (that exceeds the batteries capability).

Best first step is to either check the voltage (by getting/borrowing a meter somehow) or at least by letting a smart charger charge it up.

HTH.

M./

Innovative Electrical Upgrades Since 2002 |*EVERY* motorcycle will start in 1 second or less if the starting circuit is properly engineered. Install our HICAP II starting circuit upgrade to the get quick easy starting you expected from your high-performance engine. Excess cranking accelerates wear on the; battery, starter motor, sprag clutch and intermediate gear. - - Pay a little now or pay a lot more later. Click to learn more Motolectric.com |
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2017, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

I will definitely check for that wire being loose. It's odd that it started and then quit turning. The battery in the bike has full charge. It's pretty close to the Ducati OEM but has a few less amps (came with the bike)
I don't have a smart charger, I have a timed charger (turn the dial to amount of time you want it to run) with a voltage meter on it, but I think that's gone bad because I plugged it into my truck once to test it (with a good battery) and it was reading 7 volts. Not sure what's up with that.
Hmm. I'm gonna try and undo that connection and clean it, and see what happens, it may have been slightly loose and arced? That would crumb up the wires and maybe make it not conduct.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2017, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Found the answer! Wire came partially disconnected to the starter solenoid and fried it. How much do you s'pose they cost?probably not too much but really you never know with Ducati.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:06 pm

FYI, the speedometer is mechanically driven by a cable that connects on the left side of the front wheel.

jD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode