Monster - my next bike. Struggling deciding between 1100 Evo or 1200S - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2016, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Monster - my next bike. Struggling deciding between 1100 Evo or 1200S

Hello All,

I am in the market for a new bike. Currently own a 2013 KTM 690 Duke and 2003 R1. Thinking about selling both to replace with a single bike since I just don't to ride enough to own both.

So I have looked at both a 2013 1100 EVO and 2014 1200S but not really sure if the extra money spent to get the 1200 is worth it. I have read this review here A Ducati Monster 1200S review by a Monster 1100 Evo fan - Empty Vessel which did help but also didnt help because he basically kept both bikes.

I am not going to the track, this will be my normal daily rider. I do like power but don't need R1 power. Im trying to decide if the 1100 EVO is a good middle of the line. I want to get more power than my KTM which leaves me feeling a little lacking when I crack the throttle open.

Im in the Northern VA, DC area so I wonder about how the Air Cooled and jerky-ness of the older 1100 will do in traffic which is inevitable. As well, I hope to plan a good bit of longer riding but looks like the 1100 has smaller tank and sucks a good bit of fuel.

My plan was to sell both bikes, and basically take the money from the R1 to be the maintenance money for the upcoming items required for whatever bike I purchase given the mileage. If I go for the 1200S, its basically all funds depleted. This is not to say its a bad thing and that I cannot manage the maintenance because that would be stupid to buy a bike you cannot maintain but I just dont know if it is truly worth it.

I have the ability to pick up and 2013 1100Evo for 7500 with 5K miles or a 1200S for 11K. I know the S comes with the extra bits and such but is this truly worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2016, 12:26 pm
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
The two engines have very different character, so it should be easy to decide.

IMHO there are two key factors to consider:

1) Speed: The 1100 engine low rev torque will provide an adrenaline rush at low and medium speed. But if you like reaching high speed thrills, the is the way to go.

2) Maintenance: The 1100 engine is simpler, with less parts and virtually indestructible. Good for everyday use and for DIY maintenance. The 1200 engine is more effective power plant but it has more parts and needs more skills for maintenance tasks.

Jorge
2008 Hypermotard 1100S; 2010 Sportclassic GT1000; Classic Taldea own building project in progress (1000DS Engine + MH900e frame + Many custom made parts).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2016, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egomexico View Post
The two engines have very different character, so it should be easy to decide.

IMHO there are two key factors to consider:

1) Speed: The 1100 engine low rev torque will provide an adrenaline rush at low and medium speed. But if you like reaching high speed thrills, the is the way to go.

2) Maintenance: The 1100 engine is simpler, with less parts and virtually indestructible. Good for everyday use and for DIY maintenance. The 1200 engine is more effective power plant but it has more parts and needs more skills for maintenance tasks.

Yea the shorter chassis, twitchy low rpm (sort of remind me of my Ape Sxv 550), and about max 105HP, $7500 price to me seems like a winner. And NOT that it really matter but I thought the 1100 was slow but honestly not really, I see standard can get to about 150MPH which I wont be going. Didn't know it had it in there.

As looks like gas milage is honestly pretty good. About the same as my KTM.
PhilBoncer likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2016, 3:43 pm

I have an older '09 1100 that I use for my daily commute through LA. Jerkiness is not an issue for me, but the heat with an air cooled bike is not unnoticeable, especially while splitting in 1st or 2nd gear. The bike has never overheated, but it does roast my left leg pretty badly. That being said, it's mostly comfortable, and the mileage is good. I get 40MPG at worst (canyons and heavy traffic), and even saw 60MPG when I took the bike down to San Diego on Friday. I think I've averaged around 45-50MPG over the 2000 miles I've had this bike. These are about the same to slightly better numbers than I get on my Ninja 650. I keep the bike in 6th above 70MPH though, which some people aren't a fan of due to the gearing.

Regarding speed, I've never been left wanting but I suppose that is rider dependent. The torque curve on the 1100 is pretty entertaining, and in raw terms the bike will do 110-115 in 4th. I've never had it above 125, but it was still pulling hard in 5th at that speed. I think the 690 Duke has similar power to my Ninja (though the Duke is a single and substantially lighter), and while the Ninja also left me disappointed at times, I've never felt that way about the 1100. The bike is also a joy up in the mountains. I'll be getting rid of the Ninja soon, and have thought about upgrading at the same time but really have no desire to trade my 1100 for a water cooled Monster.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2016, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgp-001 View Post
I have an older '09 1100 that I use for my daily commute through LA. Jerkiness is not an issue for me, but the heat with an air cooled bike is not unnoticeable, especially while splitting in 1st or 2nd gear. The bike has never overheated, but it does roast my left leg pretty badly. That being said, it's mostly comfortable, and the mileage is good. I get 40MPG at worst (canyons and heavy traffic), and even saw 60MPG when I took the bike down to San Diego on Friday. I think I've averaged around 45-50MPG over the 2000 miles I've had this bike. These are about the same to slightly better numbers than I get on my Ninja 650. I keep the bike in 6th above 70MPH though, which some people aren't a fan of due to the gearing.

Regarding speed, I've never been left wanting but I suppose that is rider dependent. The torque curve on the 1100 is pretty entertaining, and in raw terms the bike will do 110-115 in 4th. I've never had it above 125, but it was still pulling hard in 5th at that speed. I think the 690 Duke has similar power to my Ninja (though the Duke is a single and substantially lighter), and while the Ninja also left me disappointed at times, I've never felt that way about the 1100. The bike is also a joy up in the mountains. I'll be getting rid of the Ninja soon, and have thought about upgrading at the same time but really have no desire to trade my 1100 for a water cooled Monster.
Thanks a ton for this. I have made my decision and going with a 1100 EVO. I might have just found the deal of a century and cannot let it go pass. I am working the final numbers and stuff right now.

Now I just need to get all the stuff together for shipment. I have basically found a factory stock 2012 that is not even broke in yet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2016, 4:54 pm

S4R. Best of all.

Titanium 2007 S4Rt R.I.P.
Black 2007 S4Rs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2016, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999s View Post
S4R. Best of all.

LOL... you could be 100% correct. Im still not buying one. Ha
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2016, 5:20 am

Good choice with the Evo. You're going to love it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2016, 7:33 am

There was a time I was hell bent on trading my older 2012 Monster 696 in for the new 2014 Monster 1200S, until I test drove it. It felt large and lethargic, much like a cruiser with a long wheelbase. The 1100 EVO will feel way more agile, I would have done the same thing.

SF848 -2014 Current
2012 Monster-sold
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2016, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairbanksdmt View Post
There was a time I was hell bent on trading my older 2012 Monster 696 in for the new 2014 Monster 1200S, until I test drove it. It felt large and lethargic, much like a cruiser with a long wheelbase. The 1100 EVO will feel way more agile, I would have done the same thing.
Yea I hear ya and my main reason for wanting to stay semi original to the monster line up is because it has always been my liking to see a duc monster with that deep bass of and exhaust come thumping down the street.

I will go to a heavier crusier style bike one day, but I am not interested in my Monster being that bike.

Now I am just trying to decide on whether to install a HID headlight and the RG Fender Eliminator. I think the seller I purchased from bought the EvoTech Fender but that wont allow me to open the trunk given I purchased the Spark Undertail Dual Exhaust.

I am a fan of a nice bright headlight but it appears that HIDs are NOT the thing because I cannot seem to find many if any with them when I am searching the web or looking for videos.

So I am wondering are folks just dropping the standard lamp for a LED lamp instead and calling it a day or what.

As well, I know I am going to need a handlebar mount for my phone since this the tank is not metal. On my other bike, I just used a magnetic tank bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode