New to Ducati - get the S2R1K or S4RS? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
http://www.ducati.ms/forums
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum > Ducati Motorcycle Forums > Monster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2006, 9:58 pm   #1 (permalink)

Smile New to Ducati - get the S2R1K or S4RS?

I am looking to replace my 2004 ZR1000 (modified, IXIL pipes etc) with a Monster. The Z1000 needs lots of revs (despite sprocket change) - 7,000+ to make it interesting - by then you are already going way to fast....

Did a demo ride on the S2R800 (nice) and the S2R1000 (very nice), lots of torque, great handling, super brake feel. I would change the pipes to a Termignoni full system to get some additional performance and to free up that Ducati sound....

Then I saw the the S4RS - more power, more money but a really tempting option, love that white on red colour, too.

The insurance goes way up (400 to 2,000/year) and I am wondering if,in the real world/street riding there is actually a whole lot of difference between the S2R1000 and the S4RS or is the 0-8,000 rpm perfomance closer than it would appear on paper?

I am hoping to get my deposit on either bike in the next week or two, can anyone give me some suggestions?

Looking forward to my first Monster.....Monica
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2006, 10:38 pm   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

The S4R is for sure the bling of monsters, but its also really more of a 916 than a traditional monster. I would get the S4R if I could swing the $, but I would be very worried about smashing the raditor if it tipped over or went down. Any moster less than 900cc's is weak in my opinion, you need the extra horses to stay out of(or get in!) trouble. Monsters are great bikes, the best thing about mine is how hard you can ride it and how little or no work it needs. I have 900 from 2001, its air cooled so its pretty rock solid, and the 2 V engines in general, will go forever without much upkeep. The 4V engines (S4R) will cost more to service, and most likely need more service than the traditional 2V monsters. I have seen alot of great looking S4R's used lately, that may be the way to go if you need to save some $. A very good buddy has a great looking blue and white S4R, and is about to get delivery on his new S4RS !Good luck, and welcome to the addicting world of Ducs!
duc_748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:34 pm   #3 (permalink)

I used to have a 900SS/SP and definately prefer the top-end power of the 4V twins over the 2V ones. But that's just personal preference. Even with the improvements over the years to the oil-cooled bikes I still don't think I could go back to one. They _are_ cheaper to maintain though and obviously less complicated to work on.

A testastretta Monster would just be pure sex IMO... hopefully I can snag a test ride on one this weekend.
mattjw916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 9:09 am   #4 (permalink)
MonsterMod

I agree w/ mattjw about power output and servicing, but don't take duc's word for it about Monsters under 800cc. I give my buddy's 900 a hard time, and I've smoked an R6 in the 1/4 on my 750.

IMO it's something only you can answer, because at this point you're splitting hairs. Using something like "real world riding" is an attempt at objectivity in trying to make the decision between the two, and you can bash around pros and cons forever about it - and still never come to a decision. If you want to be objective, how worried are you about maintenance? The S4R by its nature will require more involved maintenance than the S2R. If that's a big issue for you, then there's your answer, I guess.

But my real answer is this: deciding between these two bikes is entirely subjective. Ignore the rationales, the reasoning, etc. Which bike grabs you by your ass and doesn't let go? Which bike always seems a little shinier in your mind's eye when you think about it? Are you trying to talk yourself into buying one bike, but you can't get the other one out of your head? Well, there's your answer.

If you're still unsure, then you need to use the coin toss trick: Take a quarter, say heads for the S2R, tails for the S4R. Flip the coin. When it lands, if the first thing into your head is "how about best two out of three?" then you know what the answer is - it's the other one.

And post some pictures when you ride it home.

Twist. Shift. Repeat as necessary.
fasterdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:39 am   #5 (permalink)
You Want Me To Moderate What?

my advice is to go to an S4RS open house this weekend (May 12 &13th-see Ducati.com for a complete listing of all participating dealers for one in your area) at a participating dealer near you and see if you can snag a test ride on one to compare since you have already test ridden an S2R1K.....there is a difference in maintenance cost between to the 2V lump and the 4V lump....but maybe the feeling it'll give you on the road may negate that cost...it is in the end all up to you!
Old May 10th, 2006, 1:21 pm   #6 (permalink)

Great............let me test ride the S4RS this weekend................!!
Bernans4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 7:11 pm   #7 (permalink)

All Monsters are really good choices. I did a lot of looking at reviews, talking to people, testing, etc. before I bought.

I'm getting on in years so I've long since got over the "got to have the fastest bike" syndrome. I quit racing many years ago. This is my 18th motorcycle in 43 years of riding (I still have 4 other bikes). And I live in the country on a paved road that runs for 50 miles or so with the longest straight being about 200 yards (20 or so lakes, forests, etc.) So raw straightaway speed is not too important to me. Handling, torque, controlable brakes (lot's of deer out at dusk), etc. are what I need.

So go take a test ride. Then think hard about what you really want in a bike. If $$$ is an issue, then the upfront investment, insurance, and maintenace costs can add up to an awful lot of extra money. If you like tinkering, then buying an S2R or S2R1000 would save enough money to allow you to do lots of mods.

As to what I ended up with - an S2R. Money is not a concern for me, I'm old and relatively well off. But the 800 has the best "balance" in my opinion. Of course I'm doing lots of mods but that's part of the fun. A 14 tooth countershaft sprocket is a MUST. And the exhaust sound is terrible until you open it up (after which it is the best there is).

Whichever model you get, i'm sure you'll love it.
geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:31 pm   #8 (permalink)

Im curious. Ive also been looking at the S4Rs. But since then had been hearing so much about the S2R1000.

Ive come from a Hayabusa, so im not a stranger to speed. But Ive found that there is not much use in having a top speed of 300km/h+. In fact when analysing the way I ride, Ive noticed that I get more pleasure under 140km/h and rarely go over 200km/h.

So, to me the S4Rs probably is not needed so much. BUT I do like the raw power stats that it comes with.
I hear the S2R1k is a beasty down low and corners much faster than the S4Rs, so now I think...hmmmm, maybe that is the one for me.

Sure the S2R1k may be less power. But it appears that with a lighter flywheel and power kit I could have this thing putting out some pretty decent figures....right?

So, my question is. Would the S2R1k with $5000 worth of mods, perform as well or better on corners and on speeds up to 140km/h as the more expensive ($5000 more) S4Rs?

Cheers
Tathagata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:05 am   #9 (permalink)

Smile

I was debating between the s4r s4rs and the s2r1k, and thats because after riding my dream bike the 999 3 times it never felt it was for me but I had wanted a Duc for so looooog . With that said as I sat in the dealer show room I asked if I could ride this preowned s4r. That bike was the most fun I have had on a bike. After doing some research and reading forums and all, my next ride was the s2r1k. Nice bike but after the quick burst from idle to 5k the next 3k in rpms were flat to me(remember I just sold a 05gixxer1k) just not enough ponies. The next week I saw the pearl white & red S4RS and I was in love, except for all the plumbing hanging everywhere. I was really lucky and found the white one up north in Bremeton Wa. at brothers powersports. I love the bike in its factory form and yes there will be a few mods for sure but it would have been a crazy mod fest with the other two choices.

I chose the bike that stirred my emotions, not the raw hp , if so I would have never sold the 05gixxer1k
hunduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 2:14 pm   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
... If you want to be objective, how worried are you about maintenance? The S4R by its nature will require more involved maintenance than the S2R. If that's a big issue for you, then there's your answer, I guess.
Speaking of maintainance schedule, on the new 2007 bikes the intervals have changed from 6k to every 7.5k miles. Furthermore, the 6k service on the 2006 and older bikes require around 6 -7 hrs of shop time, the 2007 models only need 2.5 hrs. That's a huge savings on maintainance for the newer bikes and something else to consider.
addysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement