696 and 1100 Monster, Why Sell ? - Page 7 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 99 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 5:46 pm
Member
 
quito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Poway, CA, USA
Posts: 69
lordOfTheFlies...yes, yes, yes. I regress 30 years every time I ride my 1100. I feel like a hooligan on this bike. I've done a couple of track days with it and had a blast. It really does well in the corners but I could always count on getting passed on the straights. The 600s would just cruise on past. I had the fork internals replaced (RaceTech) along with the rear shock which helped considerably. It drags pegs too easy. The woodcrafts helped. I'm fortunate to own a Multistrada and a HP4 but the "lack" of power is actually entertaining. I get to flog the crap out of it way more often than the other two. Each has their personality.

Cheers.

'14 BMW HP4 Comp
'13 MTS1200 GT
'12 1100 Monster EVO
'06 ST3s - SOLD
quito is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 99 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 6:18 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Westminster, CO, USA
Posts: 159
Here's an analysis from someone who owns both the new and old Monster:

" ...both are phenomenal bikes in their own right. If you’re thinking of the 1200S as an “upgrade” to your existing Monster, you will soon realize it’s more like getting a different Ducati model altogether."

A Ducati Monster 1200S review by a Monster 1100 Evo fan | Empty Vessel
psyclone is offline  
post #63 of 99 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 8:35 pm
Junior Member
 
superflask's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Singapore, , Singapore
Posts: 28
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclone View Post
Here's an analysis from someone who owns both the new and old Monster:

" ...both are phenomenal bikes in their own right. If you’re thinking of the 1200S as an “upgrade” to your existing Monster, you will soon realize it’s more like getting a different Ducati model altogether."

A Ducati Monster 1200S review by a Monster 1100 Evo fan | Empty Vessel
Thanks for posting the article I wrote last year. I've owned the 1200S for a year, and was riding the 1100 Evo for two years (I've sold it). After all this time, my conclusions don't change

- I actually had more fun on the 1100 Evo, because it was so difficult to manage on a daily basis. I hated the stiff clutch lever and tiny fuel tank. But it paid back the effort with grunts, farts, whirrs and a propulsion like no other.

- The 1200S is a much much better bike for daily commuting, but I no longer feel like a hooligan on it. It doesn't ask you to twist the throttle hard so the engine can stop sputtering. More like a stately gentleman slightly crouched over a fricking powerful engine.

Ducati made some critical mistakes with the 1100 evo (poor fueling, random electronics issues and fuel range) which was corrected in the 1200S, but I do miss the intense character of the 1100. It's a very special bike and will always be in my heart. But I won't want to own one again for the same problems I mentioned.
superflask is offline  
 
post #64 of 99 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 10:39 pm
Senior Member
 
op48no1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflask View Post
Ducati made some critical mistakes with the 1100 evo (poor fueling, random electronics issues and fuel range) which was corrected in the 1200S, but I do miss the intense character of the 1100. It's a very special bike and will always be in my heart. But I won't want to own one again for the same problems I mentioned.
After I heard the news from my prospective buyer today, I took the R1100S home for lunch and brought the Monster back to work. This evening the traffic was really bad and it was over 80F outside. None of my usual tricks worked and I ended up stuck in long lines of cars at practically every turn.

Imagine me in my helmet and jacket pushing the Monster in a half-mile long traffic jam through the woods with the engine turned off to keep it (and me) from overheating. LOL.

"Intense" is a very good word for the Evo, though I think "bitch slap" is my new favorite bike term. :-)

Fortunately, I have one very laid-back bike (the R100) and another (the R1100S) that goes like a freight train on the highway. So, much as I would love to have an envelope full of hundred dollar bills, and an extra parking space in the garage, I do have the pleasure of a singularly characterful Ducati to tittilate and bitch-slap me when I'm in the mood...

Granted, the Monster 1100 Evo is totally gutless, and routinely humiliated in contests of speed with Honda Civics and Jiangsu Baodiao Locomotive Co. mopeds, but at least it looks cool in the rear view mirrors of the sub-compact sedans and 50cc motor-driven cycles as they whiz by...

-Henry
op48no1 is offline  
post #65 of 99 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 11:56 pm
Junior Member
 
superflask's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Singapore, , Singapore
Posts: 28
Garage
Hmm, I never had any problems outpacing other cars with the 1100 evo, maybe because I live in a small city where cars can't go that fast anyway, and there are speed cameras all around. While it can be used as a city bike with much patience, it became very clear to me after a few months of ownership that Ducati designed this to be a weekend bike in rural areas and not a daily workhorse.
superflask is offline  
post #66 of 99 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 12:30 am
Senior Member
 
op48no1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflask View Post
Hmm, I never had any problems outpacing other cars with the 1100 evo, maybe because I live in a small city where cars can't go that fast anyway, and there are speed cameras all around. While it can be used as a city bike with much patience, it became very clear to me after a few months of ownership that Ducati designed this to be a weekend bike in rural areas and not a daily workhorse.
Agreed.

LOL, I was making fun of MMM's "gutless" comment.

-Henry
op48no1 is offline  
post #67 of 99 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 8:29 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grass Lake, Mi, USA
Posts: 3,538
Images: 4
Your comment does bring up a humorous issue , though (not 3M) . I've noticed that many people on all the forums I visit apparently feel that if they don't have enough HP to win a GP they are underpowered. Who out there is actually using the power they have available ? If you are, how do you keep your license or afford insurance , or for that matter, stay alive? My old SS is capable of outrunning most cars and definitely goes fast enough to land me in jail or the morgue. Don't get me wrong, I love power (I own a modded Busa) but it's certainly not necessary to ride it to keep up with traffic. My SR500 can do that. One of the funnest bikes I ever owned was a Suzuki x6. It had no trouble keeping up.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
duc96cr is offline  
post #68 of 99 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 8:37 am
Junior Member
 
superflask's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Singapore, , Singapore
Posts: 28
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by op48no1 View Post
Agreed.

LOL, I was making fun of MMM's "gutless" comment.

-Henry
Obviously I haven't been following this discussion thread well. To each their own I say. Just spend more time riding and less time typing.
superflask is offline  
post #69 of 99 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 7:13 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Your comment does bring up a humorous issue , though (not 3M) . I've noticed that many people on all the forums I visit apparently feel that if they don't have enough HP to win a GP they are underpowered. Who out there is actually using the power they have available ? If you are, how do you keep your license or afford insurance , or for that matter, stay alive? My old SS is capable of outrunning most cars and definitely goes fast enough to land me in jail or the morgue. Don't get me wrong, I love power (I own a modded Busa) but it's certainly not necessary to ride it to keep up with traffic. My SR500 can do that. One of the funnest bikes I ever owned was a Suzuki x6. It had no trouble keeping up.
I use the power of my 1200s every time I ride, it's a freakin' hoot. I think power becomes more meaningless on the street once you go much above 160hp/95 lb/ft. The jump from 100 to 150hp is awesome.
tofur is offline  
post #70 of 99 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 7:44 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grass Lake, Mi, USA
Posts: 3,538
Images: 4
So is the jump from 50 to 80 and 80 to 160 but as they say, " it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow" I spend half my time when I'm on the Busa on the brakes because a moment of not watching the gauges turns into 20-30 over the limit. Not that I don't speed on my slower bikes, but I find its just too ridiculously easy to not even realize how fast I'm going . All I'm saying is for me maybe a lower power bike is better for me and my attachment to my drivers license. Which brings me back to air cooled Ducatis, the beginning of this thread.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
duc96cr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie -- Monster 696 or 1100... PatrickShim Monster 11 Feb 3rd, 2010 9:38 pm
Monster 696 vs. 1100 spyderco10 Monster 9 Jun 22nd, 2009 11:39 pm

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome